Omega 2808 opinions

As some of you may know 1930s and 1940s Omegas are my area of interest.

Today I stumbled upon something rather unusual, a 40mm [reference 2808].

I have not seen many 40mm Omegas in this era, certainly none in real life - also, I've never seen a dial quite like this one.

The quality seems to be very good - but this outer scale is so extraordinary, and certainly not something I would ever imagine seeing on a watch like this.

I'm almost tempted to assume it is a ring that has been placed over the top of the dial in order to fill the gap around a dial that was too small?

The movement is quite beautifully finished, which also seems odd for this movement. I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's thoughts and hopefully try to learn from them!

I am inclined to believe it is a frankenwatch but i'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Here's the photo of the listing:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.it/itm/15624354163...33&toolid=10049&customid=email_web_api_browse

Ollie :)

Like 1
I've seen this too and my first thought was how sweet it would be to find one of these in the wild available, as an outsider would definitely assume it's a sub $1000 watch (I'm an outsider too)

I've seen this too and my first thought was how sweet it would be to find one of these in the wild available, as an outsider would definitely assume it's a sub $1000 watch (I'm an outsider too)
I feel like someone has given this to a very good watchmaker to make into a nice watch - which included retrospectively adding geneva stripes to a 30T2 movement... has anyone seen that before? I certainly haven't.

I feel like someone has given this to a very good watchmaker to make into a nice watch - which included retrospectively adding geneva stripes to a 30T2 movement... has anyone seen that before? I certainly haven't.

Not from the factory. I’m sort of with you looking at the finish. Not just the stripes, but the spiral finishing on the ratchet and crown wheels...it’s usually a straight line sunburst pattern.

Not from the factory. I’m sort of with you looking at the finish. Not just the stripes, but the spiral finishing on the ratchet and crown wheels...

I concur
I also seriously doubt that this watch has left the factory like this.
Imagine the addidtional efforts to make it look like this, the movement surfaces had to be reworked and freshly plated, the ratchet and crown wheel ground with this special pattern, the additional outer scale on the dial side... I cannot decide if this is a separate part or if it is an integrated scale of the dial, the dial is most likely reprinted.
No wonder that they ask for this silly money :D

Like 2