Omega 2471, 1950s Cosmic Moonphase

Found this 2471, 1950s Cosmic Moonphase. Considering purchasing. Listed at $4,000. Assuming I could get for $3,500. Ideally would like a little better quality. Also, understand they’re difficult to find in great condition due to them not being waterproof.

Anyone able to advise please?

Need larger photos to evaluate, especially the dial.

Dial looks original to me, although some of the printing has begun to erode at the top. Not crazy about the rust on the case back lip and around the snapback enclosure. This means there was a water intrusion issue at one point in this watch's life. Rust is a bit like cancer to a watch case. You can probably address the issue with a watchmaker familiar with rust removal, but it is likely to return someday.

The crown doesn't seem to fit properly to the case. Could be a modern Omega replacement.

It is possible that the movement was serviced and any rust inside was addressed...or not. The price seems like one for a pristine example. Clearly, this one is not pristine.
gatorcpa

Dial looks original to me, although some of the printing has begun to erode at the top. Not crazy about the rust on the case back lip and around the snapback enclosure. This means there was a water intrusion issue at one point in this watch's life. Rust is a bit like cancer to a watch case. You can probably address the issue with a watchmaker familiar with rust removal, but it is likely to return someday.

The crown doesn't seem to fit properly to the case. Could be a modern Omega replacement.

It is possible that the movement was serviced and any rust inside was addressed...or not. The price seems like one for a pristine example. Clearly, this one is not pristine.
gatorcpa

Thanks for sharing all those thoughts, really helpful. I’m hesitate because of the rust too. It’s difficult timepiece to find pristine and priced well. Ran across one from Omega Enthusiast for $12,500 (not even considering, but is close to pristine) and another for ~$9,000 from a different seller but condition not pristine (see attached photo). I may wait a bit to see if others become available.

It’s difficult timepiece to find pristine and priced well. Ran across one from Omega Enthusiast for $12,500 (not even considering, but is close to pristine) and another for ~$9,000 from a different seller but condition not pristine (see attached photo). I may wait a bit to see if others become available.
I may be off on my idea of value, but if you actually want to wear this watch you need to be very careful. Many, many parts made of unobtanium.
gatorcpa

I may be off on my idea of value, but if you actually want to wear this watch you need to be very careful. Many, many parts made of unobtanium.
gatorcpa
Got it. It would be a timepiece I’d only wear on special occasions, and not in danger of rain/humidity. Probably once a month.

The Omega Enthusiast watch was previously discussed on the Forum and was generally panned especially with the laughable asking price.

The Omega Enthusiast watch was previously discussed on the Forum and was generally panned especially with the laughable asking price.
Makes sense, he’s way in left field on pricing. This timepiece is interesting. You see pricing anywhere from $2,500-$12,500. Hard to gauge where the market should actually be. My thought is pristine should probably be around $5,000 tops. Fair?

Makes sense, he’s way in left field on pricing. This timepiece is interesting. You see pricing anywhere from $2,500-$12,500. Hard to gauge where the market should actually be. My thought is pristine should probably be around $5,000 tops. Fair?
I would say you'll be hard pushed to find a pristine one for $5000 but you should be able to get a nice one for that money yes.

I would say you'll be hard pushed to find a pristine one for $5000 but you should be able to get a nice one for that money yes.
How much should I be expecting to pay for pristine?

I know this is beating a dead horse, but I am always amazed by the pricing on the Omega Enthusiast website. Here is an example of an Omega cosmic Moonphase ref 2606 that sold on eBAY Januray 9th for a < 2,600$ - See screen capture below.

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.58.09 PM.png

Now if you look carefully at the dial of this watch you will see some distinctive markings (see picture below).

Cosmic 606.jpg

Now if we go to the Omega Enthusiast website we seem the same watch listed, only a few week later (see screen shot below).

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 8.02.14 PM.png

We can see it is the same watch because of the markings on the dial (see picture below):

dea6ce_0d2e1b506a9e4acf8909a6e7b849f3ef~mv2.jpg

Although he lists the watch as having an original signed crown, the watch on his website has the crown replaced and is now priced at double what it sold for 4 weeks ago 😀.

Bottom line - do you research and find better deals on places like the OF.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but I am always amazed by the pricing on the Omega Enthusiast website. Here is an example of an Omega cosmic Moonphase ref 2606 that sold on eBAY Januray 9th for a < 2,600$ - See screen capture below.

Now if you look carefully at the dial of this watch you will see some distinctive markings (see picture below).

Cosmic 606.jpg

Now if we go to the Omega Enthusiast website we seem the same watch listed, only a few week later (see screen shot below).

We can see it is the same watch because of the markings on the dial (see picture below):

Although he lists the watch as having an original signed crown, the watch on his website has the crown replaced and is now priced at double what it sold for 4 weeks ago 😀.

Thats quite a markup. :whipped:

The Omega Enthusiast steel example is also far from pristine. Look at the pitting on the case back. Someone treated that case with rust remover. Nothing wrong with that, but only one with a lot of rust is going to leave pits like that. For $12K, they could have had some laser welding done to fix that.

My thoughts on these watches is simply stay away. The poor condition examples are likely to break and will be incredibly expensive to fix. The very few nice ones will be expensive to begin with.

I would say $5,000 is a starter. If I was going to spend that, I’d look for solid gold. 14K being a little bit better than 18K because it’s a tiny bit harder. It’s not going to be that much more for gold, but the cases tend to protect the movements a little bit better than the steel.
gatorcpa

For the OP, I'd suggest doing a really thorough search for auction sales and cross-reference with condition. That will help you understand the market better for yourself.

For the OP, I'd suggest doing a really thorough search for auction sales and cross-reference with condition. That will help you understand the market better for yourself.
Ok, thanks for advice. Any recs on auctions to check? The main I’ve looked at are Invaluable, eBay, and general Google searches for the specific reference.

The Omega Enthusiast steel example is also far from pristine. Look at the pitting on the case back. Someone treated that case with rust remover. Nothing wrong with that, but only one with a lot of rust is going to leave pits like that. For $12K, they could have had some laser welding done to fix that.

My thoughts on these watches is simply stay away. The poor condition examples are likely to break and will be incredibly expensive to fix. The very few nice ones will be expensive to begin with.

I would say $5,000 is a starter. If I was going to spend that, I’d look for solid gold. 14K being a little bit better than 18K because it’s a tiny bit harder. It’s not going to be that much more for gold, but the cases tend to protect the movements a little bit better than the steel.
gatorcpa
Good detailed advice. I’ll continue my search!

Cosmic 606.jpg

Great advice! Agreed, he’s a bit ridiculous with pricing. Guessing his prices are negotiable. But even with, still probably selling for incredible markup. I’ll continue my search and keep my eyes open for future auctions!

Ok, thanks for advice. Any recs on auctions to check? The main I’ve looked at are Invaluable, eBay, and general Google searches for the specific reference.
Phillips, Antiquorum, Heritage, Christies, Bonhams, etc. This is a collectible and uncommon watch that is hard to find in good condition, so you can't be focusing on the bargain-basement estate auctions. There are also sites that collect auction information like watchcharts, if you set up an account. Use Google images with the keyword auctions. Etc. You can also look at forum listings that sold, while you don't know the exact selling price, they're usually not as crazy as C24 asking prices.
Edited: