Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. Meanjohnbrown Sep 16, 2017

So $196 dollars in 1957 on an inflation calculator hits just over $1700 dollars in today's money :).

Omega might argue it is like comparing apples with oranges. Back in 1957 it was a tool. Now it is a "luxury item".........

I don't like marketing......

2. Baz9614 Sep 16, 2017

With that said, an original 2915-1 Speedmaster would sell for 70-120K usd. I would say that $195.99 50 years ago, was money well spent ! ;)

3. w.finkenstaedt Sep 16, 2017

It is apples to oranges. If you've actually held both in your hands, you'd know there's a VAST difference between modern manufacturing and movements and the movements used back in 1957.

I've tried on all but CK2914. I can tell you with 100% confidence that the modern iterations are worth their MSRP just for the difference in build quality, much less the movements used.

Kmart, Longbow, LeonDeBayonne and 3 others like this.
  4. Meanjohnbrown Sep 16, 2017

Fair point

But in pretty much every other walk of life - whether it be washing machines or cars - there have been similar vast improvements in quality but without an arguable artificial price increase.

That said I have still happily put my deposit down........

LeonDeBayonne, arcadelt and mikechi22 like this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 17, 2017

You are probably right but it must be said that the extra dial text on the set of three isn't universally popular, all things being equal the set would command a premium but in fact thanks to the text they aren't and to many eyes the single watches are nicer.

LeonDeBayonne and mikechi22 like this.
  6. sensui Sep 17, 2017

It's a tough call. I switched from the trilogy set to 3 individual LE orders after finding out about about the text....then switched back to the trilogy set again to ensure getting matched numbers. I have other watches like the Snoopy Speedy with text near the center and it doesn't stand out in any way. IMO ultimately this is the "true" trilogy release and with the limited numbers being so low....it's bound to hold value better IMO. Look at small variances in vintage Rolex with examples from Tiffany/Comex etc dials and see how they appreciate due to rarity....not exactly everyone's cup of tea either @ the time but now far more desired by most. That said, I will source all 3 SE dials separately when the parts are available and change them out to wear if the text bothers me....This is my resolution on this whole dilemma.....

7. To the moon Sep 17, 2017

The more limited numbers are irrelevant, look at the spectre! I suppose most was proven wrong at sometime..., The eyes on the stars sat around in dealers windows and you could get heavy discounts with purchasing prices as low as £1200
    The Alaska project.... enough said, I wish I had a crystal balling

8. blokk Sep 17, 2017

The accessories are the same whether you buy the trilogy set or individual pieces together isn’t it; straps and such. You also get three presentation boxes rather than one box for three watches.

9. DIV Sep 17, 2017

Here is the Pictogram card for my Railmaster LE for reference. Can one of our new Seamaster owners please post the Pictogram card for their Seamaster 300 LE please? 1505688165336376943049.jpg

10. DIV Sep 17, 2017

I also got this Speedmaster poster from my OB when I picked up my RM. I'm not a Speedy fan, but it's pretty neat. 20170917_144408.jpg

RTK27, mikechi22, gippo and 4 others like this.
  11. kalvinoz Sep 17, 2017

I'm curious about this one: I couldn't find a single mention elsewhere (including articles that specifically mentioned the oak wood box). Do you have a source we can check out?

12. Ree Sep 17, 2017

I read https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-speedmaster-60th-anniversary-limited-edition/ :
    "The trilogy set comes in one big box. The wooden box is of a tree that was found near Omega’s HQ in Bienne and dates back to 1880. Inside, you will find the red leather box with Seahorse logo (facing to the right) and corduroy lining. Next, you will find a leather watch roll with separate leather 19mm straps for all three watches and a changing tool."

mikechi22, sensui and kalvinoz like this.
  13. kalvinoz Sep 17, 2017

Thanks! I wonder where they got that from. The OP mentioned 1848, that article says 1880 and now I've found this that says: "Limited to 557 pieces, each comes in an exquisite presentation box made from an oak tree from the Swiss mountains, planted in 1898 which coincides with the year Omega moved to Biel/Bienne."
    I still couldn't find anything in Omega's own marketing (they only say it's "Swiss oak"). It seems odd they'd track down a 19th century tree (and possibly from a specific year, whichever that might be) and then not tell that story every time they mention the box.
    To be clear: I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, just curious if this is the first urban legend involving this release. It can only be a good sign if a mythology is already starting to build :)

mikechi22 and Ree like this.
  14. djmusicman Sep 18, 2017

speedy 57 new old.jpg seamaster new old.jpg railmaster new old.jpg
    mikewxyz, Miklange, gr8sw and 11 others like this.
  15. LeonDeBayonne Sep 18, 2017

Then collectors will apply a discount to your watches as they will no longer be considered as original. That's the whole dilemma: buy the text and live with it, or don't buy it.

16. sensui Sep 18, 2017

You'd keep the original dials....swap as you see fit with an independent watchmaker.

17. kalvinoz Sep 18, 2017

When I saw the picture of the old SM300 (without realising it was an original model), my first thought was: "gee, what are people doing to those poor watches at these events?"
    In my defense, they *are* meant to look exactly the same. I wonder if for a future edition Omega will put the watches in a cement mixer with some gravel for an even more authentic aged look.

18. LeonDeBayonne Sep 18, 2017

Sure, but still, not only I believe it's not worth the cost, but I'd think people prefer watches that have not been manipulated, as I do.

rohnin likes this.
  19. sensui Sep 18, 2017

Your logic is interesting....nothing is being manipulated. I know plenty of vintage collectors that keep original parts including valuable dials in a safe while sporting an alternate...doesn't change the value of a watch when restored..these watches are taken apart completely when a service is done anyway...no one is talking about a franken here.

20. solesman Sep 18, 2017

I think just sourcing the dials will prove extremely difficult in itself. They are LE parts and as such Omega will do a policy of only issuing when you hand them back the defective original.