Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. Theognosis Nov 29, 2018

No argument there. I was particular about the UPSWING. i.e. gravity becomes a negative force at that particular phase.

2. delta_dart Nov 29, 2018

Gravity is always a negative force (points "downwards" on Earth). You don't understand how gravity works. These are your words:
    "Actually, gravity becomes a detrimental factor (among many things) in the pendulum's upswing motion--and that's why it eventually stops."
    Simply wrong. Gravity is not why the pendulum eventually stops.

3. delta_dart Nov 29, 2018

If gravity were the only force acting on a pendulum, it would swing forever. I can see why @Archer gave up on you.

4. Theognosis Nov 29, 2018

I think you misunderstood me. The pendulum stops on its way up and then goes down again.

5. delta_dart Nov 29, 2018

So what are you even saying? How is the fact that gravity stops the ball, and pulls it downwards to repeat the cycle a "detrimental" effect? To say that gravity is a "detrimental factor" (your exact words) implies that it negatively impacts the function of a pendulum, which is incorrect, because it is the literal only reason a pendulum works.

6. Theognosis Nov 29, 2018

https://blogs.bu.edu/ggarber/interlace/pendulum/energy-in-a-pendulum/

At its highest point (Point A) the pendulum is momentarily motionless. All of the energy in the pendulum is gravitational potential energy and there is no kinetic energy. At the lowest point (Point D) the pendulum has its greatest speed. All of the energy in the pendulum is kinetic energy and there is no gravitational potential energy. However, the total energy is constant as a function of time. You can observe this in the following BU Physlet on energy in a pendulum.

7. Theognosis Nov 29, 2018

Again, I was particular on the UPSWING.

8. delta_dart Nov 29, 2018

Yes everyone knows that. Here is what you said:
    "Actually, gravity becomes a detrimental factor (among many things) in the pendulum's upswing motion--and that's why it eventually stops."
    This is wrong because gravity cannot be a detrimental factor if it is the primary mode of a pendulum's operation.

9. delta_dart Nov 29, 2018

Okay I actually get it now. You don't know what the word "detrimental" means.

det·ri·men·tal
    /ˌdetrəˈmen(t)l/
    adjective
    1. tending to cause harm.
      "releasing the documents would be detrimental to national security"
      synonyms: harmful, damaging, injurious, hurtful, inimical, deleterious, destructive, ruinous, disastrous, bad, malign, adverse, undesirable, unfavorable, unfortunate

10. Theognosis Nov 29, 2018

Well...

https://www.millersville.edu/physics/experiments/073/vocabulary.html

Kinetic Energy
    When a pendulum bob is pulled back and released from rest, the force of gravity does positive work on the bob as it swings down. After the bob goes through the low point it swings back up, and during that upswing, the force of gravity does negative work, bringing it to rest at the top of the swing.

11. delta_dart Nov 29, 2018

Negative work is a physics term that has nothing to do with being a "detrimental factor." You either need to brush up on your physics terminology, or learn to write precisely (preferably both though).

12. orlis Nov 30, 2018

It's very interesting what you discuss but maybe you should create separate topic? It's totally off the subject of this thread.

bremontspy, Theognosis and Pun like this.
  13. sn0wman72 Nov 30, 2018

Can we get back on topic??!?!?!?!?!?!

Lets talk about the the watch's not the physics of their function

bremontspy and Theognosis like this.
  14. Theognosis Nov 30, 2018

I need to make up. After more than a year, the bracelet of my RM hasn't been scratched by the clasp. I have this problem with the Moonwatch and the PO where the clasp would rub against the end links of the bracelet and leave undesirable marks that would need to be polished. Not so with the RM.

IMG_6929.JPG IMG_6930.JPG

Omega solved this problem by having the ends of the clasp look like the links of the bracelet but don't swivel at all, thus avoiding any rubbing issues. As shown in these pics, the "links" remain at an angle to eliminate any contact with the edges of the clasp.

IMG_6931.JPG IMG_6932.JPG

Edited Nov 30, 2018
    Lonestar, qboa, bremontspy and 2 others like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 30, 2018

I don't give up on people easily. I'm always willing to take the time to explain things to people who will actually listen...

Actual knowledge and understanding trumps vaguely related references from quickly Googled information every time, but some people don't want to learn.

I hope that some here have a better understanding of some of the basic concepts of the factors that affect timekeeping that came out of this discussion.

Cheers, Al

16. M'Bob Nov 30, 2018

Personally, I'm not a fan of "thread killers." If a particular thread takes on an interesting tangent, in an unforced way, like this one did, why the need to comment that the discussion needs to get back on topic?

17. Riviera Paradise Nov 30, 2018

A little bit of drift never did anyone harm...
    f41dc86aa6c8c80c6b2874d0e41f299b.png

but like anything in life, moderation is key;):)

Theognosis and M'Bob like this.
  18. M'Bob Nov 30, 2018

If you were still referring to clocks here ( and my knowledge of this is admittedly sparse, hence the question), shouldn't it be mentioned that the spring that gets wound inside plays a role in the stoppage of the pendulum? In other words, the pendulum eventually stops because the spring no longer has the power to overcome the air resistance and friction you mention?

19. yokied Dec 9, 2018

Thanks for weighing them - any chance of weighing your Seamaster on bracelet? I'm thinking about picking one up second hand.

20. qboa Dec 9, 2018

very informative!