Forums Latest Members
  1. jshaw083 Oct 25, 2017

Any opinions on this watch? Does it look original? I'm very new and still learning so help is appreciated :)

I'd be willing to replace the crystal obviously and needs a new band

Omega 1.JPG Omega 2.JPG Omega 3.JPG Omega 4.JPG Omega 5.JPG Omega 6.JPG Omega 7.JPG Omega 8.JPG Omega 9.JPG Omega 10.JPG Omega 11.JPG
  2. jumpingsecond Oct 25, 2017

The dial appears original under that scratchy glass. Hands may not be original to the watch- they have lume and the seconds sweeper looks a tad long but someone else will be on shortly to tell you more.

3. jshaw083 Oct 25, 2017

Generally, does this mean I shouldn't purchase the watch? I'm finding it extremely difficult to find a watch that I both like, and that don't have these alterations that are found by more experienced eyes

4. jumpingsecond Oct 25, 2017

That watch is what I would call a project. Has some salvageable elements (ie- the movement) but it needs some work too (ie banged up lugs, glass, maybe hands etc.) I would wait and keep learning if it were me. You can get really nice watches for great prices through the sales forum here. Just keep your eyes peeled as pieces come up daily and keep reading, looking, researching. Eventually the watch will find you.

5. ConElPueblo Oct 26, 2017

I wouldn't go near that... Looks like those lugs have been in a wrestling match with a pair of pliers!

jumpingsecond and cristos71 like this.
  6. Fivewillows Oct 26, 2017

Hi all. I am new to this forum. Like to have some help if possible on this Omega Seamaster Cal 501.

IMG_7595.JPG IMG_7590.JPG IMG_7596.JPG IMG_7613.JPG
  7. Fivewillows Oct 26, 2017

Here's a couple more photos. Like to have views on:
    1. Condition of watch and movement (looks very clean)
    2. Art Deco arrow markers (can't seem to find these in Google Images of Seamasters
    3. How much would you pay for this?

Thanks all!

IMG_7598.JPG IMG_7591.JPG IMG_7592.JPG
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 26, 2017

The dial is a relatively recent redial. I highly doubt it originally had a black dial. “Swiss Made” should not be separated like that.

Omega made hundreds of different dial styles in the 1950’s. This looks right to me.

Movement looks clean, but who really knows. Case is pitted, quite worn in areas and polished.

Buckle looks to be correct for the era, that’s unusual.

This is not a collector grade example. Therefore, I would not pay a lot for it.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

McKinley likes this.
  9. McKinley Oct 26, 2017

Gatorcpa, I don't want to get the thread off topic, but I do want to learn. I also had thought this was surely a redial before one of the real experts chimed in. There are many reasons, the black of the dial is so dark, not brown, no starry night, etc....I did not notice the spacing of the Swiss Made, but I did notice all the script is in white. Am I correct in thinking or believing that an original black dial of this time period would have the script on a black dial in gilt? Thank you in advance for continuing the education of a complete Noob.

McK

10. Fivewillows Oct 26, 2017

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Gatorcpa!!

Is this whole piece in question, or worth looking at? What does it mean that it is not a collector grade example? Like to learn more...

Also, the movement looks clean. Does this mean it's been cleaned up or can an original Seamaster look like that?

Great thought on this watch not having a black dial in the beginning. What gave you this thought?

The nice gentlemen selling it is putting it out for Singapore$1,000 (or about 500 GB Pounds).

What's your astute thought?

11. jumpingsecond Oct 26, 2017

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 26, 2017

Generally, you are correct. Sometimes in metallic silver.
    gatorcpa

McKinley likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 26, 2017

Maybe at half that price, but even that's full retail.
    gatorcpa

14. Fivewillows Oct 26, 2017

Thanks for your views, Gatorcpa. Appreciated.

15. McKinley Oct 26, 2017

Thank You!