Forums Latest Members
  1. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 20, 2020

Dear friends!

I managed to pick myself up an 18k Omega Bracelet the other day. I've been searching for around 2 years, so it has been a long time coming. I am hoping to pair it with my 18k Omega, fingers crossed it suits it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was wondering would this have originally been paired with a specific model or could it have been seen on a range of models, from my limited knowledge I would imagine it would have been on a constellation perhaps? I'm not sure if it is entirely clear, but the ends are straight not curved. So perhaps it would have been on the C shaped constellation designed by Genta?

I am discovering that bracelets are often harder to find than the watches they paired with themselves. I imagine I will be hunting for a SS bracelet for my Longines Conquest Power Reserve for quite some time until I am lucky. So I was happy to buy this even without the original watch it would have come on - hopefully it will suit my 50s Omega, and if not I'll be on the hunt for the watch it was originally intended!

Anyway any insights as always greatly appreciated!

Ollie :)

2. JohnSteed Apr 20, 2020

Congrats! Which watch is it for?

3. ConElPueblo Apr 21, 2020

I believe that this bracelet is most likely an aftermarket production.

Most gold Omega branded bracelets of the 50-60s are ones that were bought on the site of sale and were made by the local jeweller and sized to fit. A logo of the watch it was meant for was then soldered to the clasp. That's why there is only little in the way of adjustment in the clasp and no removable parts in the bracelet. An Omega bracelet would have appropriate markings in the clasp, most of the times including a bracelet ref. no.

I see these sell for the cost of gold when at auction.

FWIW, I am sure it will look great on a gold 50s Omega :)

M'Bob likes this.
  4. cristos71 Apr 21, 2020

It looks like an after market bracelet to me, I'd expect a different clasp than this style and also there should definitely be Omega hallmarks on the clasp somewhere too

Edit: I see @ConElPueblo just pipped me to the post there with more in depth info

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 21, 2020

Agreed, that is basically a Swiss version of the Shackman Milanese mesh style bracelet seen on a few UK market pieces. Note the makers mark JPB. This is pretty normal, in fact most (all?) omega cases were made by third parties so this is just one step removed from that. It would have been a factory sanctioned item (well at least tolerated) but not factory made. I have a very similar UK market Rolex version.

Are you certain that will fit you? As noted by CEP above, these kind of bracelets were cut to fit the first owner and only have about 1/4 to 1/2" of adjustment usually. You may be lucky and it is fine, but you may not...

Edited Apr 21, 2020
  6. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 21, 2020

Maybe this one below, we’ll see! :)
    [​IMG]

7. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 21, 2020

I got it for a little over scrap gold price so I think that’s fair enough - amazing considering the workmanship these must have taken to make!

If I don’t put it on the one above it’ll be on this one, just depends if the gold colour is a close enough fit and size etc. Those are my only gold watches at the moment so if it doesn’t suit one of these I will sell one and buy a new Omega.

[​IMG]

8. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 21, 2020

I really wasn’t sure how to measure my wrist to work out the size I would need, based on the watch head size and if I’d need clearance etc and considering I only paid over scrap I thought I’d just sell it on if it doesn’t work out. Plus hopefully I’ll be able to gauge the actual size I need if it indeed doesn’t fit.

Fingers crossed it will fit - but we wait in anticipation! It’s still in Sweden at the moment.

9. ConElPueblo Apr 21, 2020

I think it will look great on your Genève! :cool:

I can't pull of that amount of bling, so I'll envy you from the distance :D

simomega and OllieOnTheRocks like this.
  10. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 21, 2020

Haha with the bracelet it will become my “Only very special occasion statement watch” haha!

11. cristos71 Apr 21, 2020

An interesting old thread regarding the construction of these Shackman bracelets

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-18k-milanese-bracelet-hand-made-using-original-tooling.62275/

12. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 21, 2020

13. M'Bob Apr 21, 2020

who made that nice strap the watch is currently on?

14. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 21, 2020

One is a Patek Philippe strap (the first light brown one) the other is the Rolex Strap (darker brown) that I picked up in auctions on ebay. :)

M'Bob likes this.
  15. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 21, 2020

I occasionally buy lots like this from watchmakers that have replaced customers' straps with new ones. That Patek though I was lucky to find unworn! This lot below was my most recent purchase and is made up of Jaguer Lecoultre, Breitling, Movado and other straps :)

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 21, 2020
    ConElPueblo and M'Bob like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 21, 2020

Odd - I would not expect a watchmaker to keep the old straps and then resell them...seems a tad unethical.

17. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 21, 2020

I'm not saying this for certain what they do, I just presumed that to be the case. Perhaps they're swapping out the straps of watches they are selling with newer ones to command a higher price? Regardless, plenty of life left in them and better than throwing them away if the customers have asked for them to be disposed of! One man's trash is another man's treasure so they say! haha

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 21, 2020

It is customary to return any parts replaced to the owner. That is certainly my policy...

Bill Sohne likes this.
  19. OllieOnTheRocks Apr 21, 2020

Of course, I agree entirely, that is the correct thing to do and I imagine the watchmakers that I have had to privilege to buy from before have done the same. As I mentioned above they could have been his own, that he has swapped out before selling a watch or a customer (or two) may have asked for them just to be trashed. If it is the latter, I'm glad they were put up for sale - we don't want to further encourage the throwaway society that we find ourselves a part of. But regardless this is all speculation :)

20. Evitzee Apr 21, 2020

Many gold buckles have been lost (stolen) over the years by a watchmaker replacing a strap and keeping the original gold buckle and giving the watch back with a cheaper plated buckle. One of the reasons you often find vintage pieces that don't have the original buckle.

Bill Sohne likes this.