Forums Latest Members

Omega 18K Milanese bracelet: hand made using original tooling

1. Tom Dick and Harry Aug 16, 2017

afternoon all

Well...... I've known the guys at STS for over a decade now, as many of you know they are a world class outfit and have an amazing array of vintage and modern spares and state of the art and heritage tooling

Amongst their tooling is the original equipment used by Dennis Shackman and Sons (a uk based goldsmith who were absolute artisans of their trade) in the 1950's, 60's and 70's to make the overwhelming majority of gold bracelets for omega, longines, Rolex, Tudor and others

The equipment is like stepping back 50 years and is all original.

Here are a few snaps from the 'gold room' in the depths of their cavernous building

This is the FASTI machine which winds the gold wire in to Milanese bracelets, note how the gold wire runs through a pool of oil....

IMG_7377.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG IMG_7379.JPG IMG_7380.JPG IMG_7381.JPG

A section of the end result

IMG_7382.JPG

A 'sheet' of 9K completed wire made in to Milanese strips, which will make over a dozen bands and is worth over £10K

IMG_7391.JPG

And these are the tools and presses to create the impressions in the bracelets and clasps etc, the power press weighs over a ton on its own. What's not shown is the dozens of different stamps to create intricate patterns on the gold and the dozens of different clasp dyes with omega symbols dating back to the 1940's

IMG_7383.JPG IMG_7384.JPG IMG_7385.JPG IMG_7386.JPG IMG_7387.JPG IMG_7389.JPG

And I just had to snap this..........the most valuable Dyson in the world.......... yes that's full of gold dust

IMG_7388.JPG

Anyway...... step forward and I finally got my hands on one of my dream watches, an omega dennison deluxe pie (a British made 18K case/ 18K dial), the watch was stunning and after STS serviced it I had total peace of mind, it's even water proof again.

I love the watch on croc but I've long hankered after an original bracelet for it too. I finally resigned myself to accepting I wasn't going to find one.

In passing I had a conversation with the MD at STS who offered to make me one to my specifications. Unbeknown to me not only did they have the tools but all the old pressed, logo's and clasp making equipment.

Two hours together working through the designs and styles and then a few weeks later and today I picked this beauty up

Delighted is an understatement and although fitted it is completely removable thanks to their inhouse goldsmith. The bracelet aren't cheap but they are tremendous and 100% hand made, STS's MD makes all the bracelets himself and their inhouse goldsmith Terry then fits a clasp of your choice, my specifications included a bracelet that was fitted but removable..... no problem he said..... so here it is

The style I chose was the same as the DS&S stainless Milanese on my ed white and I utterly love it

IMG_7399.JPG IMG_7401.JPG IMG_7402.JPG

Hope you like it as much as me

Thanks Tom

Edited Aug 16, 2017
    Aga912, KingCrouchy, MtV and 96 others like this.
  2. italy1861 Aug 16, 2017

Absolutely gorgeous!

3. TexOmega Aug 16, 2017

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

That all ya got.....?::yawn::

:D

That deserves an all cap WOW!!

4. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Aug 16, 2017

Envy. A lot.

ahsposo, Dre and LouS like this.
  5. watchlovr Aug 16, 2017

Man that us supercool Tom, the D&S bracelets are my favourite for looks but they seemed to go too wide on the wrist just at the case.
    Did you manage to overcome that?

dstern and Tom Dick like this.
  6. Tom Dick and Harry Aug 16, 2017

Hi Colin

Yes, because this one was made bespoke for me the goldsmith factored it in when soldering the tubes on to alllow it to be relaxed much more around the case so it's resulted in being super flexible.

I wish I could persuade them to start remaking the SS ones but they are already on a waiting list for the gold ones so I don't think there is much chance of that

The quality is out of this world

watchknut and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  7. kippyk Aug 16, 2017

Holy smokes and WOW!!

8. Kmart Aug 16, 2017

Incredible! [​IMG]

9. SouthernScot Aug 16, 2017

Superb end result, looks amazing. When I had my Speedy serviced by STS earlier this year, when Simon was still there, my wife had a new Milanese bracelet made for her Bueche Girod. Simon went through a catalogue of many designs with her to find the one which most closely matched the old bracelet, as you say not cheap and as yours is a mans watch probably twice the price of hers but the end results as well worth it.

IMG_0162.JPG

Twocats, noelekal, Tom Dick and 4 others like this.
  10. Davidt Aug 16, 2017

I was just about to ask if they're going to start re-making the s s ones.

The 18mm Milanese are reasonable easy to source but the 19mm are so hard to find.

Looks great btw.

11. Timelab Aug 16, 2017

Cool bracelet, cool story!

12. Edwinowl Aug 16, 2017

Wow great reading that, and amazing to see the tooling etc. Brilliant and looks great.

13. jimmyd13 Aug 16, 2017

It's so incredibly heartwarming to know that this tooling still exists in working order and is owned by people who can use it. Lovely end result too.

Vitezi, ahartfie, mikechi22 and 2 others like this.
  14. palatine Aug 16, 2017

superb! amazing to think that the original tools are still in working order and that they were rescued and preserved by STS
    great work by all concerned

mikechi22 likes this.
  15. Tacket Aug 16, 2017

Gorgeous and fantastic post -- thanks for sharing!

noelekal likes this.
  16. wsfarrell Aug 16, 2017

We need more posts like this and fewer of the "Is my Ed White be worth $17,000?" variety.

lindo, kkt, speedamatuer and 4 others like this.
  17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 16, 2017

W.O.W.
    W.O.W.W.O.W.
    W.O.W.W.O.W.W.O.W.
    W.O.W.W.O.W.
    W.O.W.

Just WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
    Super cool, great to know and many thanks for sharing...

Edited Aug 16, 2017
  18. Maybe Aug 16, 2017

Interesting! Really like milanese bracelets.

19. ICONO Aug 16, 2017

As a Design professional, & an Academic, I can only praise their foresight, & commercial nous, in preserving these analog skills

An uplifting story where everyone agrees, on the Forum……for a change

Longbow, Tom Dick, watchknut and 5 others like this.
  20. alam Aug 16, 2017

shinny! but not obnoxious... :thumbsup:

Longbow likes this.