Omega 176.007 Calibre 1040

Hello everyone, I am new here! Recently I got this Omega 176.007 from my grandfather, and I am greatful for the opportunity to create new memories with it.

I do want to get it in better shape then it is now. Right now I would love to replace the crystal, polish the sides of the case, fix the indices at the 7 and 8, and service the movement. My question is, are these things I can do myself? If not, is it recommended to send it to Omega for service, or will a avarage watchmaker work as well?

Some extra notes on this... The time and chronograph function are working well. However, the 24-hour indicator doesnt seem to be aligned with the time. Also, automatic winding is working fine, but manual winding doesnt seem to do anything.

I am also curious how I will be able to source original parts. Especially the indices seems to be hard to find. Will even Omega be able to fix this?

Looking forward to see some thoughts on this, and thank you in advance!

20240904_160235.jpg

20240904_160331.jpg

20240904_160349.jpg

I do want to get it in better shape then it is now. Right now I would love to replace the crystal, polish the sides of the case, fix the indices at the 7 and 8, and service the movement. My question is, are these things I can do myself?
If you are asking that question, then the answer is likely no. This isn't a movement that you want to tackle as a beginner.

If not, is it recommended to send it to Omega for service, or will a avarage watchmaker work as well?

What do you want as the end result? Do you want it to look brand new? If so, Omega might be a good option (although most here would never do this). If you want to maintain originality, then find a watchmaker with an Omega parts account who has experience with this movement, and you will have much more control over what gets done and what doesn't.

I am also curious how I will be able to source original parts. Especially the indices seems to be hard to find. Will even Omega be able to fix this?
You may find parts on the open market, but it will take time. For the missing applied markers, a donor dial would be ideal.

I would have it serviced, not by Omega, change the crystal and leave the rest alone. The missing markers don't bother me.