Omega 167.005 - Sending to Omega for Service

Hi all,

I know this might be a touchy subject in regard to omega servicing.
I have an Omega 167.005 that I have had for a while now, and for me I think its in good enough condition for casual wear. The lugs are a bit beaten up, and sharp edges have been polished but overall ok.

The dial has started to show signs of age with the lacquer at 12-1 o'clock discoloring and also around 4 o'clock.

I want this one to be my forever watch and therefore get it back into top condition I am thinking about sending it to Omega.

Depending on stock, is it possible it could end up with a new dial? And if so would the old dial be sent back?
I know Omega has two sorts of services, a "service" and a "restoration" so not sure which one they would opt for, however, I know this will be expensive either way.

So In summary, do we know from experience if the Dial and hands would be replaced, or "refinished"? and If replaced would I receive the old ones back?
ThcbLYJ.jpg

Thanks!

Restoration is for watches older than 1940, so the option for your watch would be a standard service. Price is posted on the Omega web site, e.g. $700 in the US, but replacement parts such as a new dial are extra. At least in the past, they return original parts that have been replaced.

Having said that, the watch looks pretty darn good from the photo. A local watchmaker could service it, clean it up and, if you wished, lightly polish the case and bracelet for a lot less time and money than Omega.

I'll be the first of many to say it, Omega is not recommended for vintage service.

Like 1
I'll be the first of many to say it, Omega is not recommended for vintage service.

The main reason for doing it would be to get a new NOS dial and hands, do omega certified watchmakers still have access to parts such as dials and hands?

The main reason for doing it would be to get a new NOS dial and hands,
IF Omega were to replace the dial and hands, they will return the original dial/hands to you in the same bag that contain all the other replaced parts. Which, opens up the door for the original dial and hands to be damaged.

do omega certified watchmakers still have access to parts such as dials and hands
Yes, but do they have access to this dial? You will need to contact a watchmaker with an Omega parts account for that answer.

Yes, but do they have access to this dial? You will need to contact a watchmaker with an Omega parts account for that answer.
Hands, probably.

Dial, no. If the dial was in bad shape, they would have it refinished.
gatorcpa

Like 3
Omega might seem like an easy answer, but I don't think they will do anything to make this watch better.

Maybe you can keep an eye open for a mint condition replacement dial. People are holding them, and since you are willing to open your wallet, that would be a better investment than restoration by Omega.

There are people who can refinish that case to be fantastic looking.

Hands, probably.

Dial, no. If the dial was in bad shape, they would have it refinished.
gatorcpa
+1. The dial will be refinished, not replaced.

Like 1
+2 on the dial will be refinished not replaced.

I worked through the possibility of having my 1940s CK2414 service by Omega with my local OB. The stated in no uncertain terms that when a vintage watch is sent back to Omega for servicing the service must include a dial refinishing. No option, it has to be performed or they won't warranty the service. The cost of this refinishing is not a part of the service cost and the customer is responsible for that price. IIRC I was told at the time in 2021 that the cost of service would be $900 + the cost of the dial refinishing of $600 for a total of $1500.

I elected to not have Omega service the watch, as I appreciated the charm of the patinated dial, and had a local Omega certified watchmaker perform the service.

Interesting thanks for the info.
I've been looking for a NOS replacement online but not come across anything (and likely won't).
And honestly, If I cant get a brand new dial out of it from Omega, there's no point sending it in, its worth more in this condition than a refinished dial.

Honestly the $$$ you're going to pay for a NOS dial if you can find one you'd be better off just finding a nicer watch.

Like 1
I wouldnt do it. You will pay a premium for changes you may regret.

Like 1
Thanks all,
I think the decision is pretty obvious with this one haha.