Forums Latest Members

Omega 12 o’clock index not lined up.

1. jxh57601206 Feb 26, 2020

https://imgur.com/gallery/RZ40cR1

As shown in the picture, the 12 o’clock index/marker is not lined up.

you can tell by either looking at the bezel marker which is not pointed at the center of the index.

or,

the gap on the left (between 59th min marker and the 12 o’clock marker) is smaller than the gap on the right (between 1st min marker and the 12 o’clock marker).

Can I bring this to a boutique and have them fix this? By lifting up the marker and replace it? This is a problem throughout all the indices on the dial. Most obvious one is the 12 o’clock. The 11 o’clock is also slightly off. But the 12 o’clock is the main problem.

i spent 5000€ on this and I expect it to be PERFECT.

2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 26, 2020

Please accept my apology if I’ve misunderstood the situation but, you come on the OF as a new member, you tell us nothing about the circumstances of how you acquired this watch or the provenance of the photograph and then proceed to display a minor ‘hissyfit’ complete with a capitalised 'PERFECT' foot stamp.

You tell us nothing about yourself or your experience, why you bought a watch for 5000€, which looks okay to me in the single unprovenanced photo you attach.

Why don’t you start again, if you want to, and share a little bit more with us before asking for OF input and expertise.

3. jxh57601206 Feb 26, 2020

There really isn’t much to share. I found a watch I like, it just happens to be an Omega. So I bought this watch at Frankfurt airport at a shop called Brinckmann & Lange on my trip to Germany. After the tax refund it costs 5000€. At this price point one kind of expect it to be perfect. If this was a $500 watch then some flaws are acceptable. Not at 5000€.

4. redpcar Feb 26, 2020

upload_2020-2-26_14-53-22.png

5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 26, 2020

I’m sorry, but I really can’t think what to say.

6. timecube Feb 26, 2020

I can think of one thing to say:

If you bring it to a boutique (or an independent watchmaker) and have them "fix" the unacceptable blemishes on your dial, you may succeed in elevating your watch to utter perfection in your eye but you will ALSO succeed in reducing its collectible trade value. If this does not concern you, go right ahead!

7. timecube Feb 26, 2020

You might have better results taking it back to the Frankfurt airport where you bought it and insisting it is defective and demanding they replace it with a non-defective specimen. However............................................. this may not work either.

8. wolfe44 Feb 26, 2020

Beautiful watch. Enjoy! I had to look at it for a long while before I saw what you were talking about. Chalk it up to being a work of art like a Rolls Royce rather than an assembly line Hyundai. Gives it character

9. OMEGuy Feb 26, 2020

Hello and welcome!

In a perfect world, the perfect seller would sell perfect things, that the buyer checked perfectly before purchase.

But, wouldn't that be boring?

I think you should love the minimal imperfections of your watch and enjoy it, instead of being annoyed. For 5k, I would know better things to do than to buy a personal problem.

wolfe44 likes this.
  10. vbrad26 Feb 26, 2020

Good thing you didn't buy a Speedmaster with a chrono that counts 1 min after about 59.7 seconds!

11. Evitzee Feb 26, 2020

The picture is not a straight on shot so I'm seeing some parallax error, but even so it doesn't look like there is any problem. No object is perfect.

RI Omega Fan likes this.
  12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 26, 2020

You have global warranty.
    Take it to an Omega Boutique with all of your paperwork and explain the problem.

If the fault is not clearly visible from a distance of 300mm then it's not an issue (as per Omega QA Inspection standards).
    If the fault is clearly visible from that distance then Omega should change the dial (they can't just "lift and replace the marker").

timecube likes this.
  13. Dan S Feb 26, 2020

Note to self ... do not sell any watches to @jxh57601206. ;)

Spruce likes this.
  14. Evitzee Feb 26, 2020

Unfortunately, as more and more new people are enticed to buy mechanical watches, and pay a good amount of money for them compared to a G-Shock or an Apple watch, they are expecting every single aspect of it to be PERFECT. They will look and look at the perfectness to vindicate and affirm their selection, and if they see anything that is not 100% perfect (and this includes accuracy) they will complain loudly about it. It's got to be a constant headache for the manufacturers.

wolfe44 and Dan S like this.
  15. Canuck Feb 26, 2020

I think Omega, and the staff at the Frankfurt boutique should be fired, pilloried in a public place for a week without food or water, then drawn and quartered and hung from a gallows for such an egregious fault. What HAS this world come to? The OP must have one halavah time existing in such an imperfect world! My sincerest sympathies for your experience! ::facepalm1::

FBPB, keisuke_z, Spruce and 1 other person like this.
  16. ExpiredWatchdog Feb 27, 2020

I don't see a problem. Perhaps you are being too anal.

But if you insist, the folks at [wherever_you_bought_it] will be happy to give you your money back. Or not.

17. FBPB Feb 27, 2020

Some people are sticklers for detail. I've seen people go ballistic over even more minor things than that (especially with Rolex, not to mention expensive guitars). I think the OP is suffering from expensive-new-toy-itis and wants it to be as perfect as possible.

For the OP: People make mistakes, it's part of the manufacturing process. If you aren't happy with it, simply take it back. I don't think you need to ask a consensus. For the replacement, bring a 3x loupe with you to inspect it before taking delivery. :thumbsup:

Edited Feb 27, 2020
  18. rob#1 Feb 27, 2020

Funnily enough I was watching this review earlier and the Apollo 8 does the same ;)