Forums Latest Members

Polerouter Date: painted marker not lined up with chapter ring - sign of redial?

1. Severin Jul 21, 2015

Found this listing, looks pretty clean, but I note the painted hour marker at 8 is not well aligned with the corresponding point on the chapter ring (this Forum has taught me to look for that). By the way, seller claims it is original crystal and crown.

Odd thing is, the other hour markers appear to be in line. Is this an obvious tell of redial, or possibly a parallax effect, or something that may have been found on original dials? Thanks much in advance for your thoughts.
    20150603_102222.jpg

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 21, 2015

It looks more like the chapter ring is out, rather than the dial marker.

3. wsfarrell Jul 21, 2015

Parallax and/or reflection issue seems more likely to me.

4. nicolas07 Jul 21, 2015

Apart from this hour marker for which I don't really know what to think, it seems to me original for 2 main reasons:
    - flat A
    - vertical line does not go through the U logo (which is for me good sign to be an original dial)

5. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 21, 2015

Original dial in great shape. Better resolution close up would be needed to verify orginality of lume, but it looks good. Original crown, original crystal. The upper lugs look to have lost their edge with a little too much time on the polishing wheel

Not really sure what I am looking at with the 8 o clock marker. The chapter ring looks to be in perfect alignment and the displacement is too much to be caused by parallax. Perhaps the applied marker has been dislodged because it was not glued properly. Could be an easy fix. Depending on the price, might be worth picking it up for the dial and parts.

Here's mine, excuse the dust and scratches

20150721_144932.jpg

Severin likes this.
  6. Severin Jul 21, 2015

A thing of beauty. Thank you, all for your help. The seller is in Norway (ground zero?!) and I am in communication with him, despite some language differences (I am in Toronto, Canada). I'll be sure to provide an update if this bears any fruit. Thank you again.

7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 22, 2015

The 8 marker looks perfectly aligned to me. It is the shadow/reflection that draws the eye and makes it appear otherwise at a glance. I think it is a nice one.

8. Severin Jul 27, 2015

Good news: I've landed the Polerouter pictured above, despite having given up on it. It is now in the mail and I will share pics once it has arrived. Thanks, all, for the advice re: reflection - that's all it was. The minute markers are indeed well aligned.

I think I did fairly well on the transaction on account of the fact the case back is inscribed: the inscription is dated February 28, 1967, is written in either Norwegian or Danish and the brief message thanks an unnamed colleague for their service at the Scandinavian Tobacco Company. This might turn off collectors, but I find it a charming and quirky detail.

The new catch, with full crosshair and Bombe lugs, will well complement the other Polerouter Date I recently picked up, which has a partial crosshair and the beefier lugs.

Once I post pics, I will take a breather, stay off the watch sites and get back to some normalcy: the hunting has taken up far too much of my time, energy and family time! :)

9. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 27, 2015

Glad to know I was wrong :) Congrats. Looking forward to seeing it on your wrist

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2015

Looks like a very nice watch. :thumbsup:

Enjoy,
    gatorcpa