Forums Latest Members
  1. minutenrohr Jan 23, 2021

...unfortunately I noticed a bit late that the thread "Longines Vintage Automatics" is already closed. Therefore, as a new topic, three dials from the 50s: Two times black for cal. 19A and one time silver for cal. 19AS.

Rgds - HU
    IMG_9066.JPG IMG_9067.JPG IMG_9068.JPG IMG_9069.JPG IMG_9070.JPG IMG_9071.JPG

2. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jan 23, 2021

Thanks for posting these.

On the first dial, it is neat to see how the step on the front is evident on the back too. I suppose that the dial was pressed or struck into this form.

On the second dial, both the glossy surface and reflective/metallic printing are striking. Also, I wonder if the black galvanic coating was applied first, and then scratched off in order to solder the hour markers and emblem.

On the third dial, I wonder if the golden sections, in between the hour markers, are embossed rather than applied. Also, I am intrigued that the reverse is not black. Maybe the black on the front was not applied using a galvanic process.

minutenrohr likes this.
  3. imfagent449 Jan 23, 2021

I realize that I have a set of dials at home in Melbourne. I purchased it from a dealer there many years ago. They have sat in a box for almost two decades I believe. As far I recall they are original. I think I might look to see whether it might be useful for someone.

minutenrohr likes this.
  4. minutenrohr Jan 24, 2021

...I bought these dials around 2005 from a dealer in Canada - via Ebay. At that time it was still easier to import something like this to Germany. Today, I would have to stand around in the customs office for a few hours and hope that the estimated value of the package is not too high.
    I sometimes look at them and think that it would be fine if even today so much effort and craftsmanship were applied to the production of dials.
    Besides, I didn't know then in 2005 that there were only few watches with cal. 19A in Germany. And if they were, mostly in gold-plated cases, which I don't like.
    The fourth dial of this package now lives here:
    longines 19 as1.jpg
    A cal. 19AS with 34mm case that is lying around at the watchmaker for 13 years, because it´s "dry". He moved twice during those years...

Edited Jan 24, 2021
  5. CHRONOZEN Jan 24, 2021

I am LONGINES COLLECTOR AND WATCH LOVERS,IS GENUINE DIAL