Old Hamilton watch identification

Going through more of my grandfathers things and came across this neat but very old looking square Hamilton watch. Watch was not too happy to being wound so I immediately stopped when I felt resistance when I first tried. It did start running but needs a very good service. Was able to open it up. Hopefully the inside will help too. I tried looking up the general serial number which looks to put it in the 30s? Everything on the dial looks original. I don't think it was ever touched? Funny enough when I shined a bright light on it and killed the lights. There was a tiiiiiiny bit of glow on the very edge of the minute hand. would definitely like to keep it and wear it on occasion. So I'll have it serviced. Hopefully they won't touch the hands since I love how they look. Thanks in advance!

20240823_202649.jpg

20240823_201837.jpg

20240823_201821.jpg

20240823_201543.jpg

20240823_201318.jpg

20240823_201229.jpg

Like 2
A Hamilton Hastings made in 1928 according to the serial number. The case shows a lot of wear through the gold plate. The 987 is a very good movement though, and if you choose to service it, I think you'll be pleased with its performance.

Don't forget to to thank @gatorcpa for providing the catalogs.

Like 3
A Hamilton Hastings made in 1928 according to the serial number. The case shows a lot of wear through the gold plate. The 987 is a very good movement though, and if you choose to service it, I think you'll be pleased with its performance.

Wow that catalog is awesome! Thanks @gatorcpa. Can't believe there is a pocket watch in there for 685 dollars from way back then. It's interesting how all four corners are equally worn away. Thanks for the info on it, I will definitely get it serviced. I think after being around for 96 years, it's the least it deserves.

Hamilton was an interesting company. They produced some of the highest grade watches anywhere in the world, that were truly second to none. But, it was a very egalitarian company that used its manufacturing know how to produce watches for the comman man as well. Their catalog reflects this.

In 1928, their Piping Rock was selected as the gift for the World Series champions.

Like 1

Interesting that the traffic specials were half the cost of the 992 railroaders.

Interesting that the traffic specials were half the cost of the 992 railroaders.
Half the watch. Those extra jewels and the last couple of adjustments make a world of difference.

Like 1
Just decided to look up the movement "6/0 size movement with 17 ruby and sapphire jewels, Elinvar hairspring, monometallic balance wheel. Nickel plate and bridges, with precious metal plating. Double roller escapement, improved stem work, improved friction jewelling. So they used both sapphire and ruby jewels in the movement. Was that common back then or do they even do that today or is it mostly if not all ruby jewels.

Interestingly the Greenwich has a more similar layout of the numerals to OPs watch. Hamilton is known to have offered different dials on the same reference. Both of these (as does the catalog rendering noted above) seem to show a stepped bezel as opposed to the smooth bezel on OPs watch. Renderings are from Rene Rondeau's long out of print book "Hamilton Wristwatches".

IMG_3592.jpgIMG_3590.jpg
Edited:

Like 2
Interestingly the Greenwich has a more similar layout of the numerals to OPs watch. Hamilton is known to have offered different dials on the same reference. Both of these (as does the catalog rendering noted above) seem to show a stepped bezel as opposed to the smooth bezel on OPs watch. Renderings are from Rene Rondeau's long out of print book "Hamilton Wristwatches".

IMG_3592.jpgIMG_3590.jpg
That is interesting, when I look up the watch I cannot seem to find an example of one with that slanted style numeral dial, they all have the kind mine has. It has the numeral design of the greenwich but then has the Hasting's style for the sub seconds. I wonder if it was changed or made in very small numbers. I found a catalog image of it with the same style mine has.

s237061667341364203_p1273_i8_w640.jpeg