Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. Karusel Sep 30, 2020

The Rolex release was on midnight Swiss time which equated to 6pm EDT (made for an interesting commute back from work). I'm not sure if Omega would do something similar but considering other markets, why not?

2. Caliber561 Sep 30, 2020

E-wotch, Dedlock and Karusel like this.
  3. wouter van wijk Sep 30, 2020

I am convinced they do not introduce LEs for the sake of keeping their design department happy. It is getting more and more a repetition of moves. A re-edition of commemorative watch, do I need to say more.

What I am saying here is that the LE strategy is a very thin line. People out of the OF and Speedmaster LE community are starting to get a bit fed up with these new LEs. They should only introduce new watches or LE's when they are well thought and perfectly executed, the product and consumers should be the main focus. Not their own organization or to keep the shareholders happy with a nice profit made by "OMG what should be do next for this year LE?"
    Why has the OG Speedmaster been such a succes? Because it is a robust watch tested by NASA, and a great example of less is more. IMHO due to all of these LEs the Speedmaster Professional gets less appreciation cause these LEs district attention and appreciation for the OG Speedmaster. I am not saying they should not do a LE once in a while, but they should make it only if it is really exceptional and long lasting and way less frequent. Focus on what is important and what is the core.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  4. Martin_J_N Sep 30, 2020

I'm happy to be corrected but the Speedy Tuesday announcement was at midday Swiss time as the meant that virtually the whole world was on the same day, whether Omega would do this again is something only they know.

5. wouter van wijk Sep 30, 2020

Would not mind if Omega would make nice SKUs that would be non LE. Why doesn't Omega have nice white gold or platinum speedmaster in stock? Why not a white dial? Why not a panda dial etc. Why not one with a ceramic bezel? But please quit with making butt ugly LEs like they have done before.

m.jpg
  6. Pepe Lucas Sep 30, 2020

I do agree that they are making them on batches but I think that when they stop making the caliber 1861 they will stop producing these models. And if they keep making them with the new 3861 there will be an increase in price.

E-wotch likes this.
  7. EricCsN Sep 30, 2020

1. you have to take the company as a whole not just speedy. innovation is evident everywhere: 3861, range of coaxial, moonwatches, etc. designers by nature are dreamers. nothing to design is dead boring. plenty to work on when working in omega
    2.People out of the OF and Speedmaster LE community are fed up with new LE? sure there is diversity but we dont have statistics to show one way or another: what % is this or how many? And surely this is due to individual preference: those who hate changes (maybe like only vintage) and those who do or dont mind.
    In the end, there is plenty here for both.
    Just saying.

Edited Oct 1, 2020
  8. Dedlock Sep 30, 2020

I personally am a big fan of Limited editions they are not meant for the masses but for Omega Collectors, apart from the A17 40th every limited edition has sold out or is close to being sold out. Whilst there is a vocal minority complaining about limited editions and dilution of the brand etc. but the bottom line is limited editions have served Omega well and almost all have been instant sell outs. Anybody complaining can go purchase a regular speedmaster hestalite, nobody is forcing anybody with a gun to their head to purchase a limited edition watch.

Limited editions and Omega have a vast and rich history, they stretch far back many decades and sheer scale of limited edition models produced to me is awe inspiring, there are limited edition to mark Omega's historical achievements and there are some covering quirky cross overs like Ultraman and just the other day I was surprised to find out there was a Galaxy express 999 anime limited edition watch which I thought was awesome.

The next point is variety in design, limited edition watches actually allows Omega to take risks with their design and colour schemes, we have seen some lovely and terrible watches, but as long as they are limited editions Omega can experiment as much as they want. To me this gives them an advantage over other brands who stick to the tried and true which I find boring. Unique and varied designs helps Omega standout and this is a good thing because consumers are being given a choice, which is a luxury compared to some other brands.

As mentioned above the vast majority of limited editions have sold out, there is just one notable modern failure and it is the Apollo 17 40th but kudos to Omega on actually taking risks and doing something different. I hope the new Snoopy will be a fixed limited edition, because I just cannot picture Omega having a mass produced watch with a character that is not their intellectual property. So far all limited production watches have been on properties that belong to Omega, FOIS, Apollo 8.

speedypants, BlackTalon and kelsey like this.
  9. DanishDynamiteUS Sep 30, 2020

Have you all actually seen this one in the wild? Sooo much hate on this one it’s unbelievable haha :D

10. midimanwatch Sep 30, 2020

I remember my friend bought a pair of bright neon blue, special edition, Giorgio Armani demin jeans with a gold Giorgio Armani badge on them.

These jeans were the bomb!! until one night when we were out in a Pub, and I pointed out that another person that we knew was standing at the bar wearing them too.

I don't think that my my friend ever wore those jeans again.

If I buy something that is marketed a being LE then I want to know by how many? and I would like to know how long if it is by production run.

These will be two key factors.

11. Martin_J_N Sep 30, 2020

There is a good argument for making LE's exactly that Limited Editions, price them accordingly and make those who buy them feel as though they are getting something special. So in this case what if the watch was made up of 500 pieces, in white gold with a snoopy tribute on the dial and rear case, priced at £27,500GBP, there's nothing else available. If you have the funds and buy one you are getting a very exclusive watch, a genuine limited edition.

How would this go down?

12. Soulcreek Sep 30, 2020

That’s a great point that I hadn’t considered. The deal with the Shultz estate or whoever are the copyright holders would surely have stated # of pieces in the contract or scope of usage.

Dedlock, hb8745 and Martin_J_N like this.
  13. YY77 Sep 30, 2020

Did anybody say 500 units LE (no gold) abeit from '76:

upload_2020-9-30_14-11-39.png

Martin_J_N likes this.
  14. Martin_J_N Sep 30, 2020

I am sure that Omega would have held discussion on the use of Snoopy, after all it is beneficial to both parties, so win win for all.

15. Japanred Sep 30, 2020

62CEFB6E-0F42-43C1-B2BF-96BA7780553C.png
    I don’t mind this much hated LE. I don’t particularly like the design (not many do), but if we want Omega to push boundaries and explore the unexplored with their LE’s then we have to accept that sometimes they will get it wrong. This was one such occasion and Omega shouldn’t be chastised for it. “If you don’t slip up once or twice then you aren’t pushing hard enough” springs to mind. They get it right 9 times out of 10 which is alright in my book.

Dedlock, Caliber561 and speedypants like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 30, 2020

Are people talking about not liking LEs in a thread about a LE about to be released.

The Speedmaster LE train is a all stops ride. ST1, ST2, R.A.I.D, Met, Snoopy, some yacht, a car, a moon landing 50 years ago, the ratatouille Italian tablecloth one, Japanese galaxy express . Hell there is a suitcase in a thread with friggen 23 LEs in it that don’t include the 10 or so above.

Dedlock, Japanred, kelsey and 2 others like this.
  17. Martin_J_N Sep 30, 2020

This thread has gone everywhere on various different subjects (as a lot of threads do on this forum), on that basis if people want to comment about not wanting to get involved in a LE launch thats fine, after all its a free world. If memory serves there were some negative comments about the A11 50th.

We cannot all like LE's, for many it is a dream to own an LE but for others the thought of one leaves them cold, we are all different and look for our fixes in different ways.

wouter van wijk, Japanred and kelsey like this.
  18. kelsey Sep 30, 2020

If they make them interesting they can put out as many LEs as they like.

I for one love the idea of many LEs year in year out, makes collecting interesting.

The length of this thread alone shows LEs create interest within the collecting community.

Dedlock likes this.
  19. DanishDynamiteUS Sep 30, 2020

Yeah, kind of doubt the updated movement in the Speedmaster would have generated 56 pages in itself ;)

kelsey likes this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 30, 2020

Well they make enough even the ones that don’t like them will find one they like eventually :thumbsup:

Just do the math on the price of the 50th buzz butt and how many they sold.
    (About 67 million $$s)

Martin_J_N likes this.