Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. Pepe Lucas Oct 9, 2020

All OBs in the USA are under Omega directly. Sometimes people confuses OB and AD.

2. wolfe44 Oct 9, 2020

I'm getting tons of targeted internet/Facebook/Instagram ads paid for by omega for this watch. I'm not on any waiting lists. Omega wouldn't pay money to advertise this watch to me unless they were pretty sure they would have one to sell to me.

(I never get submariner ads)

rafabond and hb8745 like this.
  3. taz101 Oct 9, 2020

Great video thanks and he confirmed limited production even though it says it isn’t on the website!?

AntonisCy likes this.
  4. Evitzee Oct 9, 2020

Good review, but that blue looks pretty bright, much bluer than what appears on the Omega website. Fratello's pictures of it looked similarly bright blue. Will be interesting to see how it looks in real life.

hb8745 likes this.
  5. Cabinetman Oct 9, 2020

I agree that the blue looks brighter in these real-life settings. It also looks like the blue of the Snoopy subdial is slightly different depending on how the light hits it. It sounded like the Snoopy subdial is painted while the others are PVD coated.

6. Martin_J_N Oct 9, 2020

When you put it like that it puts things into perspective. However, with all the hype going on at the moment the Snoopy is likely to increase in value, possibly by a fair bit, so you could buy Snoopy, look after him for 6 months or so, then send him off to a different kennel, buy this and probably a Seamaster Diver as well with the change. Not that I would do that but some will view Snoopy as an opportunity.

7. Martin_J_N Oct 9, 2020

I'm getting lots of Omega not just Snoopy but other Omega stuff as well, but I also get Rolex and JLC.

8. hb8745 Oct 9, 2020

Thats a very good point. They've already released a few short spots on youtube as well. They're not paying for airtime obviously, but still, would it make a lot of sense to promote a watch like that, that they're not planning on making available?

9. hb8745 Oct 9, 2020

Correct.

"So the watch is limited in production, but not limited in the watch itself?"
    "Exactly."

I'm no psychologist, but that question made him a bit uncomfortable and clearly his answer reflected that he didn't want to give too much away.

SwissZ and taz101 like this.
  10. Bp1000 Oct 9, 2020

That blue, if that bright in a well lit room will be very electric light blue outdoors, can’t wait to see it

11. taz101 Oct 9, 2020

I was thinking that sort of like the Hulk bright blue outside darker blue inside

Bp1000 likes this.
  12. Bp1000 Oct 9, 2020

I suspected from the beginning they wanted to dodge the bullet of clarification as I do think their intention is to try something new.

That something new is to have a go at making their own version of the Daytona. As in, something highly coveted. Something attainable, as apposed to something you can’t get once it’s sold out. It looks like their PR machine is spinning up and a long with that they will limit production runs to slowly drip feed them into the market for the foreseeable future.

By not being limited, people won’t give up on the quest to own one, the hype won’t die down and the more people that get them, as time goes by, the momentum will build.

If they were going to do this with any watch this would be it. It’s a very solid and attractive design, incredible movement and a pretty unique feature on the caseback. I think anyone who likes collecting, who’s influential will want to own this, if that’s true you will see a lot of social media on this to fuel the hype.

I think that’s why they did the caseback - it’s a huge talking point and I’ve not seen much like that in all the years I’ve been interested in watches. Pretty ridiculous comparison but it reminded me of the patek celestial moon age which I tried on once.

Not forgetting the FOIS is technically a limited production piece and is probably approaching 20,000units now. That also was a unique design for a modern speedy, not seen for 50 years but being fairly truthful to the original was fairly vanilla. So it will be interested to see how this relatively tastefully executed design pans out. Either way I think they will sell well but I don’t think they’ll make it to Daytona well.

SwissZ, softwareurchin, scapa and 2 others like this.
  13. texasmade Oct 9, 2020

I would've thought Omega would use the SS 321 as their Daytona since that's not tied to any anniversary. The Snoopy is celebrating 50 years so it would seem strange to be able to buy one at 55 year anniversary.

14. Cabinetman Oct 9, 2020

The problem with the 321 is it doesn’t look that much different from a regular Speedmaster to those that aren’t really into these watches. It is more of a connoisseurs watch in my eyes. The Snoopy will stand out better on the wrist.

15. hb8745 Oct 9, 2020

I don't think it's their intention, wether possible or not, to copy the Rolex model. Their objective is to gain market share, not become Rolex.

Like mentioned previously, it's difficult to create scarcity through limited production when you're marketing anniversary pieces. Rolex can make you wait 3 years, but it doesn't make sense to wait for a 50th anniversary Omega in year 54.

Omega's market position for a long time now has been about attainable scarcity. Hard to get, but not so hard to get where the average person has no chance. Rolex pushes its brand value and status, where Omega is more about the watch technology, distribution control, and sales experience. It's sometimes easy to forget that their avg customer isn't someone who lurks these forums. Some of their customers don't know the difference between Omega and Longines. If they change their positioning and pricing too much, it'll start creeping in Breguet territory (granted that's still far away but still a consideration). They're both fighting for the same market share, but doing it in different ways.

16. Alfista88 Oct 9, 2020

Agreed. Personally, I'd rather have a 3861 over a 321, due to technological advancements. I prefer hacking seconds + magnetic resistance features of the 3861, over the column wheel action of a 321.

Working in a field where I usually take 2 commercial flights a week, and occasionally go near medical imaging equipment on the job, I've experienced frequent magnetic interruptions to the timekeeping accuracy of watches in my collection like Speedmasters and a Reverso. I wouldn't pay a price premium for a 321. I would much rather have 3861-powered Speedmaster, even if it was priced the same as a 321. Anecdotally, the technician at the Beverly Center OB told me during a chat 2-3 years back, that the most common model that customers bring in for demagnetizing, are Speedmasters.

Mentions of GO and Breguet in early posts has me also thinking twice about the price proposition of the Snoopy. While I think a valid case can be made for the Snoopy's 9,600 USD MSRP (carbon ceramic bezel, 3861, silver dial, caseback), 10k is approaching GO complications and entry-level Breguet. "Speedmaster" is not an easy answer to default to, when your other options include a discounted Type XX Transatlantique or previous-gen Marine Big Date for the same price. Looking outside the Swatch group, we also find a Submariner and GMT at lower MSRP than the Snoopy.

SwissZ and hb8745 like this.
  17. Soulcreek Oct 9, 2020

yeah, nice video but due to the remote locations, they were kind of at odds with each other and not really interacting. So his answer could have been the truth or simply a polite acknowledgment.

18. taz101 Oct 9, 2020

Sounds you like you need a Milgauss!

neoguendia and Kangaroo_22 like this.
  19. WatchNurse Oct 9, 2020

Placed my deposit today. I was able to chat up with the manager at the OB. He told me by Tuesday, Omega told them to stop taking in deposits. They're still receiving constant inquiry phone calls for the watch. I should go play a lottery ticket because I was so lucky! I only wish others can be able to do the same.

20. texasmade Oct 9, 2020

Railmaster if you want something half the price.

Inpw likes this.