Forums Latest Members

Obsessive, Compulsive Wristwatch Rituals

1. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 10, 2023

The Confessional is now open. Here are mine:

1) The minute hand and seconds hand must be synchronized; if the watch doesn't have a hack mechanism, that's no excuse -- just keep beating your head against the wall until you get it right.

2) The date must be correct and the hour hand must be set to the proper spot in the 24-hr cycle.

3) The watch's timekeeping performance must be measured frequently, ideally each day, lest it changes its behaviour without you knowing about it.

4) Dandruff, dust, lint, animal hair have no place in a WRUW post: that's why God made Photoshop. Extra credit is received for blotting out the occasional arm hair that is deemed excessively distracting.

5) A leather, rubber or cloth strap must not clash colour-wise with the shoes and belt being worn.

You may now enter the Confessional. It is cleansing.

Widows Son, Hnansen, Risto and 23 others like this.
  2. Geezer Feb 10, 2023

:eek:

When I set the time, I ignore the seconds and set the minute hand in the middle between two minute markers. So at the most, I'm 30 seconds off. :p

HKold, Eve, Twocats and 5 others like this.
  3. janice&fred Feb 10, 2023

Sometimes when I think of a mechanical watch in our stash I want to wear, I take a peek at it to note the time it has stopped at from the last time it was worn. Then I try to remember and grab it when that time is approaching and shake it quickly when the exact time has come. If manual, I shake it to get it ticking then wind it.
    I know. I have issues and this is only the start.

noelekal, TJH, Geezer and 7 others like this.
  4. Pastorbottle Feb 10, 2023

The only watch related obsessive compulsive behaviour is buying more of the bastards……won another two Seikos at a local auction house today……the bloody place is to convenient, being just down the road….. and even then I bid online!

LesXL, McKnife, paddymoran and 8 others like this.
  5. Evitzee Feb 10, 2023

About the only thing I require is the calendar (simple date or more complicated day/date/month) must be correct, as well as any moonphase indication. Other than that it is 'strap and go'.

Eve, Spruce and Jones in LA like this.
  6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 10, 2023

You know, to add an extra layer of obsession you could set an alarm on your phone to remind you when to pick up the watch to get it going.

noelekal, RevZMan123, MDubs and 3 others like this.
  7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 10, 2023

I like that, very clever!

Geezer likes this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 10, 2023

Ahhhh...the Moonphase. That's a special beast indeed, which has its own, unique feeding requirements.

9. duc Feb 10, 2023

I think of it more as normal than OCD; but here's mine. I always set my time against a UTC reading, but always exactly 5 minutes ahead (since I am always 5 minutes ahead of everyone).

Date, second hand/minute hand, PM or AM accuracy - all givens.

Jones in LA likes this.
  10. Dan S Feb 10, 2023

If I find that one of my watches isn't working properly, I find it very difficult to ignore, I have to get it fixed.

LesXL, noelekal, McKnife and 10 others like this.
  11. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 10, 2023

No, you'd be surprised how many people play fast & loose with the proper time. UTC is itself set by the stars, so you can't find a better standard than that.

duc likes this.
  12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 10, 2023

Oh, yes, there's THAT one. I have a chronograph with an hour counter that resets to 11:00 instead of 12:00. I have to keep it hidden from sight until I get that taken care of.

13. Canuck Feb 10, 2023

When I add a watch to my hoard (horde? Which is correct?), I always service it. It may not get done again for decades, unless it is one I wear regularly. Then it will be done again in about 5 years.

pdxleaf, Geezer, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  14. cej2007 Feb 10, 2023

oh yeah… OCD rant incoming… it will take me 3-5 times to set this because if the minute hand is off by more than 10 seconds to the second hand, it is misaligned to my vision and that must be set correctly. Have to figure out with each watch the best way to ensure hand alignment each time. With my 3861 Speedmaster, it is turn past the desired minute mark by an hour… turn back to the desired minute mark, wait until UTC to the second hits, then a coordinated press of both index fingers to the crown to ensure the minute hand doesn’t move while depressing.

I embrace my OCD, I don’t fight it anymore.

SC1, MDubs, duc and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 10, 2023

...and only a relative handful of watch enthusiasts can service their own watches. Bravo!

Edited Feb 10, 2023
    Canuck likes this.
  16. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Feb 10, 2023

Oh, I feel your pain. The worst is when you have a hacking watch with a minute hand that "jumps" a bit when you release the hack. Some jump forward and some backward. For those watches, I have to remember which direction it is going to jump, and try to compensate before re-starting the watch.

MDubs, duc and cej2007 like this.
  17. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 10, 2023

Yep, correct date and the need to get a favourite watch repaired.

Mad Dog and Jones in LA like this.
  18. Alex Cheers Feb 10, 2023

Thank you, so I'm not alone then :D

Especially 1) is very important, how could you not care about that!? :eek: Pure joy when it's just perfect, at least it should be in +/-5s :D And yes you have to remember how to wiggle the hands to achieve that on every watch individually...
    I'm more easy on 3) and 4) can be annoying since I don't photoshop my WRUW pictures...

TimeODanaos and cej2007 like this.
  19. janice&fred Feb 10, 2023

Thankfully that is not one of my otherwise childish watch rituals. I never pay attention to the date on my watches with that complication. Perhaps as I prefer non-date to begin with.

noelekal and Spruce like this.
  20. TexOmega Feb 10, 2023

My ritual?

1. Wind/set time

2. Is it attached to my wrist?

3. Let's go.

4. Look at iPhone calendar for day/date....and peruse the posted & lengthy "honey-do" list.

Sometimes I forget point #2 and sometimes #3 till later in day.

Definitely not #4. I do not want the shock-collar reattached for my re-education detention.

LesXL, DaveK, Om3ga321 and 3 others like this.