Forums Latest Members
  1. feifei62 Sep 15, 2016

Have been a fan of alarm wrist watches since the acquisition of a JLC Memovox - came across this Memomatic recently and did not stop to pause and think before I quickly purchased it. Circa 1970 NOS - Any one with experience with NOS and how can you tell if it is truly NOS?

Seamaster Memomatic.jpeg
    Eldridge, Northernman, voere and 6 others like this.
  2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 15, 2016

does it look like it was never worn? impossible to tell from photos

3. feifei62 Sep 15, 2016

there are slight scratches on the buckle and a very small dent by the side of the case - otherwise in immaculate condition.

4. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 15, 2016

NOS is used too liberally IMO. Does it really matter though if its NOS or just mint?
    Honestly I buy watches to wear them, so NOS has no added value to me as Im going to wear it and break the seal so to speak.

ahartfie likes this.
  5. marturx Sep 15, 2016

@stefan our NOS member! :)

Judging from that single photo, your watch could be NOS. But if it has one single mark from wear or (mis)handling, I should say it moves from the NOS state to the mint category.

There are models that more often can be found in NOS or mint condition. The memomatic is one of them. Why I don't know, but according to my experience, it seems that they were not worn much. Maybe they were just less popular. Which is strange because they are pretty cool IMO

Yours is great, and great looking too. Nice pickup :thumbsup:

6. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 15, 2016

I have a similar piece in an Enicar

1.jpeg
  7. T<25 Sep 16, 2016

The condition of the watch is amazing.

8. cimo Sep 16, 2016

Hard to say when NOS is really as claimed. I do like alarm watches though. I picked up this bulova a few months back and really like the look. It's on a tan strap now.
    [​IMG]

9. WatchVaultNYC Sep 16, 2016

I got this Oris Wrist Alarm a couple of days ago. Much louder than my Memomatic, and uses a separate spring to power the alarm.

Warranty says 1993, but the story goes is that Oris bought the remainder of the old A Shild alarm movements produced in the 70s (the same movement inside the JLCs)

As for NOS, even never-worn watches may have handling marks. I personally would not expect a NOS watch to have no imperfections whatsoever. That said, it should look like it's never been worn.

[​IMG]

10. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 16, 2016

My 1947 Vulcain Cricket says Hi!

Cricket.jpg

bardamu, Northernman, Fordex and 5 others like this.
  11. Spike Sep 16, 2016

Is anyone familiar with the Friedli make?

I picked this one up from a German watchmaker, this too has the AS1475 alarm movement which I think was first around in the 50's and was produced up to around the mid 70's.............I was told that this one dates from the mid 60's......

I would say it's in really nice condition, and runs really well.........
    ALARM WATCH.jpg

She gets me up in the morning;)
    ALARM KATE MOSS.JPG

Arnold C, Selbo, Omega1 and 5 others like this.
  12. Arnold C Sep 16, 2016

I have a Seiko bell-matic ;)

FB_IMG_1473265609944.jpg FB_IMG_1473265619680.jpg
    Ravineman, voere, Selbo and 3 others like this.
  13. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 16, 2016

Rodania & sicura Cal AS 1475

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg
    Northernman, voere, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 16, 2016

I wouldn't call myself experienced with NOS watches, but here are a few things to look out for.

1. To be NOS, the watch needs to have all the pieces with which it was originally delivered. This generally would include a hang tag with the model number and possibly the movement serial number that matches, instruction book, guarantee certificate (some have matching serial numbers), signed buckle, signed strap or bracelet, and both inner and outer boxes.

[​IMG]

2. One can assume that the oils in a 50 year old watch that has never been worn would have dried up decades ago. At the very least, a raw NOS watch should be difficult, if not impossible to wind. Nor should it be wound until serviced, and newly oiled.

3. Something that is particular to Omega is the colored wax on back of the case.

IMG_1631.JPG

This was done to prevent scratches from normal handling, like in a jewelry store. Some older models had paper stickers on the back instead.

IMG_1632.JPG

If you don't have all the toys it isn't a complete set and likely not NOS.
    gatorcpa

chronos, davidswiss, voere and 10 others like this.
  15. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Sep 16, 2016

Awesome response Evan!

16. Tom Dick and Harry Sep 16, 2016

Looks lovely, as we have seen recently poor quality watches can be turned in to head turners quite easily. This doesn't from the images you have uploaded show the signs of that. Lapping these cases often produced a loss of meat on the flat surface area of the bezel around the crystal, this still appears to be completely intact.

I really like the memo, a great watch as it was a two watch only movement (the cushion and the pilot line case) and they look grey and wear incredibly well.

17. Vitezi Sep 16, 2016

1957 Tissot Sonorous. The blued alarm hand, normally seen against a white dial, just about disappears on the black dial version...
    sonorous2.jpg

Edited Sep 16, 2016
  18. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 16, 2016

::popcorn:::thumbsup:

19. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 16, 2016

the universal is on an austrian produced hirsch lizard for the american market (oh my god when did i become a Strap nerd?!) ... and who cares ..

BlueBoy likes this.
  20. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Sep 16, 2016

honestly i think i have a new ebay background theme your a ::censored:: genious im totally stealing that my new competitive "edge" matching watches to the kinds of women that the kinds of men may like if they are buying those kinds of watches...

like omega globemaster = scarlett johansson
    Seiko GS = Lucy Liu
    black dial cross hair omega = mila kunis
    rolex daytona = cameron diaz

tho my wife may get a bit hacked off to find my google search "hollywood actresses in underwear"

Spike likes this.