Forums Latest Members

"Not buying anymore watches for a while"!

1. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 12, 2021

I have been on a bit of a watch fest lately and still have five in the pipeline, so it was with this in mind that I uttered the famous last words to my wife. Me to her yesterday "I am not buying anymore watches for a while" and today this turns up.
    Too hard to resist, sorry dear. Not the olympic torch model but the even rarer dolphin back model that was only made in the last three months of 1964.
    IMG_7288.jpeg

IMG_7290.jpeg

IMG_7291.jpeg

With its younger brother..
    IMG_7294.jpeg

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 12, 2021

bucket list piece... sooo nice!

Heavytrevy, Duracuir1 and Barking mad like this.
  3. gbesq Oct 12, 2021

Yeah, like your wife believed you anyway. :rolleyes:

noelekal, Duracuir1, NotAClue and 3 others like this.
  4. Paedipod Oct 12, 2021

Bwa ha ha!

tried this.....worst five minutes of my life

5. dscoogs Oct 12, 2021

Very nice watch! I did not realize that Seiko had the crown at 4 since back (or even before) then.

"for a while" = code word for "till something shows up", according to my wife.

mr_yossarian and Paedipod like this.
  6. tad Oct 12, 2021

I condensed my collection some time ago and now have a one in one out rule. Easier said then done.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 12, 2021

I’d have caved on that too.

8. Just Livin Oct 12, 2021

I feel your pain.....;)
    But a nice piece to help sooth the addiction. :)

9. marcn Enough space to say witty Oct 12, 2021

This is basically how we manage books in our house. Anything new has to fit on a bookshelf somewhere. If not, something has to go. Has worked well so far.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 12, 2021

Few years back, my desire to acquire cooled significantly. Few cheap and cheerful pcs since then but I’ve stopped chasing the big game. My bride was also making unhappy noises, but truthfully prices had risen past all reason for stuff that was worth buying and the pursuit of big game just wasn’t fun anymore. I’m enjoying what I have. “Shop” your collection before you start hunting. You might be surprised at what you “find”.

noelekal, Eve, lindo and 7 others like this.
  11. SSGMT Oct 12, 2021

Wow! Beautiful watches!!

12. Walrus Oct 12, 2021

You done good. I’ve been seeking one of those and a helmut and two times I had agreements to purchase which fell through as the seller found a local buyer who paid more but those world timers are Jim Dandy’s (I’m trying to sound corny doing pretty good) and I would love one but ever since the last one fell through they are either overpriced or knackered with. I, as well, have but a temporary pause on watch purchases. The call to acquire something new can be quite strong and actually requires resistance not to “fall of the horse” but yeah if something like that world timer popped up at a decent price I would break my watch celibacy.
    I recently got lucky messing around with a shit coin (crypto) and turned a small amount into a decent amount. A local guy is selling a Rolex yacht master, it’s the same one someone here recently bought for his wife but posted pics saying he really likes the midsize himself. So I told my wife I was going to buy a yachtmaster. She said “sounds good can you live in it after you buy it? So yeah transferred that money to our retirement account. I was half kidding anyway but stupid thoughts do cross your mind when you step into unexpected monies. Just because at that moment you can afford something doesn’t mean you should dismiss reason. I’m not like yachtmaster level anyway, I’m more like bud light and Invicta. Maybe around December I’ll look at things and until then the occasional search in the junk/antique shops but I got pretty lucky with a few things this year gotta train yourself not always to want as there are way too many nice watches around.

ahartfie likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 12, 2021

That's low hanging fruit for you mate. (Compared to some of your Speedmaster)

Doesn't technically class as a watch more of a timepiece :whistling:

Larry S likes this.
  14. Kapka Oct 12, 2021

I have stop using that phrase "not buying any more" for a while since it was broken instantly every time I used it.. Instead I use " I'll sell it after a short while" :)

YYTIN, Larry S and Shabbaz like this.
  15. Mediocre Oct 22, 2021

Congrats, it appears to be in fine condition too!

16. YYTIN Oct 23, 2021

Congratulations : good catch !

And this addiction is costly but rewarding and for those having done that for... euh a long time : I can not see losing money either. I'm pretty sure some have even been able to go as far as selling those to your better part as savings for retirement !
    :D

Personally I'm now trying to get my wife onboard & found some nice pieces for her :) but wonders if it is such a good idea : should I split or multiplicate the money spent ... euh I mean saved.::facepalm2::