Forums Latest Members

Not all things in Australia want to kill you..........

1. ghce May 11, 2023

Duracuir1 likes this.
  2. BLOW UP May 11, 2023

I don't know about that.. even the innocuous-looking Duck Bill Platypus is Venomous:cautious:

blubarb likes this.
  3. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since May 24, 2023

4. BLOW UP May 25, 2023

.. apparently they also turn pretty venomous after 95:thumbsdown:

5. blubarb May 27, 2023

BLOW UP and McKnife like this.
  6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 27, 2023

Damn, it must be really dangerous if even the crocodiles will not swim there!

McKnife, Horoticus, sxl2004 and 2 others like this.
  7. BLOW UP May 27, 2023

Edited Jul 16, 2023
  8. gbesq May 27, 2023

Sorry, but it's no contest. What you can't see in the photo is that both the croc and the shark have been chased onto land by the two legged apex predator that is still in the water. The croc and the shark both know when they're outmatched and it's either time to run for their lives or become shoes, handbags or belts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 27, 2023

That cop is actually facing some serious charges and they might be getting upgraded soon, sad situation that the cop should have handled a great deal better as the other police on scene were even yelling at him to stand down and put it away. Actually a pretty rare situation as I’ve only had really good dealings with the police here.

10. ghce May 27, 2023

Frankly very quite disgusted with that sort of human being, how did he ever become a cop?
    Empathy of a rock, would he do that to his own mother?
    Hopefully they will upgrade the charges to a serious manslaughter charge or possibly murder, given that the guidelines for use of a taser explicitly state what situations you cannot use them in and this situation in no way came remotely close to meeting guidelines.

Archer and marco like this.
  11. blubarb Jun 10, 2023

BLOW UP likes this.
  12. Pastorbottle Jun 10, 2023

Actually we do have giant earthworms, in Gippsland near where I’m from which is East Gippsland in Victoria.
    They grow to 1.5 meters long @ 4’6” and can weigh up to 400 grams @1lb
    IMG_0393.jpeg
    IMG_0395.jpeg

Edited Jun 10, 2023
  13. DoctorEvil Jul 16, 2023

FISHING WAREHOUSE ℝℕ ℍℝ
    Legendary tales of enormous estuarine crocodiles and their capture, by whatever means, are nothing new to generational North Queenslanders.
    Such yarns almost always invoke a degree of wonder, incite debate – sometimes fierce - and deliver community history lessons (along with embellishments sometimes beyond reasonable imagination).
    They invariably leave the listener wanting more, such is the mystery and danger surrounding the dinosaurian reptiles.
    One particular image that hangs on the Warehouse wall often demands customers pause and perhaps contemplate the life and times of those who went before us… pioneers that helped shape this great city and surrounding districts.
    A large crocodile laid out on a river or creek bank with 2 children, siblings, sitting atop and a shaded figure behind, is extraordinary and compliments a yarn that stretches back nearly 100 years.
    The image is simply labelled ‘Ross River, Townsville 1928’, but we now know that to be only partially true – the year correct; however, it seems Alligator Creek was the kingdom of the 16 ½ foot (5 metre) crocodile known as Big Ben.
    The yarn is a good one and recounts the capture of Big Ben by Mrs Mary Ann Lee, the story detailed in the 1937 book written by Norman Caldwell.
    “We were living on the bank of a creek near Townsville at the time,” an article in the Daily Mercury quoted Mrs Lee.
    “One still summer evening, I was warming goat’s milk in a saucepan over an open fire. I heard a sudden loud splash behind me.”
    Those lines commenced a story where Mrs Lee set about catching the large croc known as Big Ben, an animal responsible for taking at least one of the Lee’s goats which had become entangled in a fishing net and subsequent bleating attracting the crocodile.
    Following a futile first attempt where Big Ben made good its freedom, Mrs Lee upsized her tackle.
    “I got a long heavy rope and an outsize in shark-hooks – one specially made for deep-sea fishing – with a long chain.”
    Mrs Lee baited the hook with the large goat’s head recovered from the fishing net before setting the offering from a branch overhanging the creek where a bait the previous night had been taken.
    A goat was tethered nearby and was said to bleat incessantly before being released as evening fell.
    It was a stormy night when the goat head bait was taken and the following morning Mrs Lee rushed to the creek where she found the rope taught and mid-stream… “and there was a monstrous crocodile floating on the water with a shark hook in its jaw.”
    “I rushed back to the humpy, took down my rifle from the wall and rushing outside, fired a shot at the big brute.”
    Mrs Lee missed, but racing through the scrub to her nearest neighbour, she burst into the house demanding they come and look.
    The news of the hooked crocodile apparently spread like wildfire.
    “All the womenfolk and the few men rushed to the spot where I had the rope tied. We all hauled together and the crocodile was yanked to the bank and shot.
    Slipping a rope over the long jaw, we dragged the monster ashore. It was Big Ben alright”
    A quick Google search will reveal plenty of crocodiles, affectionately or otherwise known as Big Ben, but few can boast such a capture.
    FB_IMG_1689505489680.jpg
    Courtesy of Fishing Warehouse via Facebook

McKnife, bubba48, pdxleaf and 2 others like this.
  14. BLOW UP Jul 16, 2023

This Python literally burst open when it bit off more than it could chew:
    _73327232_snake_ap.jpg

McKnife, blubarb and DoctorEvil like this.
  15. Pastorbottle Jul 16, 2023

That’s serious indigestion

BLOW UP likes this.
  16. BLOW UP Jul 16, 2023

It's the real-life version of Mr Creosote ;)

[​IMG]

Horoticus likes this.
  17. warrydog Jul 16, 2023

BLOW UP and McKnife like this.
  18. TIMElyBehaviour Jul 16, 2023

Not all things in australia want to kill you but I did want to put this on machinery at work for workplace health and safely.

506B0F24-8548-48E1-87CC-25F48E1FA91B-2081-00000331F6A3A1C7.jpeg

BLOW UP, DoctorEvil, ghce and 2 others like this.
  19. BLOW UP Jul 17, 2023

I'd actually find it very reassuring to know that 'Crocodiles do not swim here'..
    It's obviously a perfectly safe place to swim, and completely unambiguous :thumbsup:

Edited Aug 17, 2023
    blubarb likes this.
  20. mcemeren Aug 17, 2023

BLOW UP likes this.