Forums Latest Members

Not all things in Australia want to kill you..........

1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 12, 2019

I have to say you really left the door open here... :D

DaveK and Sidnos like this.
  2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 14, 2019

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 14, 2019

Understandable response, IMO. Justifiable retaliation:

Kangaroos mowed down in sick Australian hit-and-run spree

About 20 kangaroos were mowed down in an apparent hit-and-run spree in Australia over the weekend, local police said.

The lifeless marsupials were found sprawled on the road in rural Tura Beach, on the south coast of the state of New South Wales, around 10:15 a.m. Sunday, police said in a statement.

Local officials believe someone intentionally ran over the animals — including adults and joeys — between 10:30 and 11:30 p.m. Saturday in a residential part of town.

The kangaroos were likely struck by a white vehicle with mounted spotlights, local outlet 7 News reported.

“So the ‘roos would have stood there stunned and then they just ran them down,” Janine Green, a veteran volunteer with Australia’s Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service, told the outlet.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 14, 2019

MMMD likes this.
  5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 17, 2019

Yes, that line is peak New York Post. One part irony, two parts stupid.

Walrus likes this.
  6. Walrus Dec 19, 2019

So Australia is 3rd on the list with most venomous creatures after Mexico #1 and Brazil #2. I don’t think that takes into account the potency of venom just the number of venomous creatures. I never lived an an area where I had to worry about venomous beings other than a few times in Arizona where they have like 33 different venomous beings however I did stay in Alaska for a while but the concern there is the big furry creatures that smell you from a mile or so away. I think Australia would be a very interesting to visit. I have a friend who lives there he doesn’t complain about the critters he is too busy being mad at the Chinese who are buying everything, mind you I’m merely repeating what he said I know nothing about this topic. Anyway it’s a cool thread seeing what is going on in your area, I know this isn’t a US based forum and I must say my knowledge on Australia is rather limited. I think in school here in the US the most we learned about Australia was its status as penal colony back in the day. Anyway it’s certainly on my list of places I’d like to visit. I usually go to China every couple years so it’s not out of the question

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 19, 2019

@Walrus, I visited various places in Australia over a 3-1/2 week period a couple of decades ago -- including lots of time away from the cities, and all I really saw that might have been poisonous were a couple spiders. Much more like to get a kangaroo through the windshield than a venomous bite from a spider or snake.

Riviera Paradise and Walrus like this.
  8. Walrus Dec 19, 2019

Ya obviously it’s not like they are everywhere but they are 3rd on the list in world list of venomous creatures. I’m not really concerned of getting stung by anything but it is impressive being so high on the list. Mexico is number one on the list but I think the cartels would be more of a concern than any critter. I’ve had a close encounter with a brown bear one time and was much closer to a polar bear than anyone in their right mind should be. Now coming across a moose is also rather frightening as in certain cases people have hit them with cars, totaled the car and the moose walked away. That’s not common, most of the time the moose will be injured and need to be put down but either way your car is totaled. Think about one of them charging at you.

Edited Dec 19, 2019
  9. queriver Dec 19, 2019

Took our pet cat to the vet a few days ago because he had 2 puncture marks in one of his hind legs caused by fangs. The vet reeled off the names of a 1/2 dozen species of snake in the local Sydney area that might have bitten him but concluded it was more likely another cat because he presented without symptoms. So, $130+ later and with antibiotics in hand, at least I left reassured the cat won't die or get paralysed.

Riviera Paradise and Walrus like this.
  10. Walrus Dec 19, 2019

I can see that being of concern of course. I was only in Arizona for a week and came across two scorpion and what looked like a rattlesnake. My encounter with the bear was a hiking trip and the moose chase I was merely fishing the polar bear I was staying with some “off the grid” friends and it’s just part of their life. I think In the report I read you guys have around 66 or so venomous creatures. (That’s not my math) do you have any that no cure exists for? If I lived in Australia I think I would daily microdose each venom until I built up a natural resistance to all of them then I could just focus and the bigger things with teeth but no venom.

queriver likes this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 19, 2019

Just don't microdose any Inland Taipan. You won't wake up.

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 1.39.22 PM.png

Start with our Eastern Brown and see how you go.

:D

marco, Riviera Paradise and Walrus like this.
  12. Walrus Dec 19, 2019

Ya thanks good that is good practical advice. So skip the inland taipan and the forest cobra. I fear that will leave me vulnerable to some of the worst but you provided hard science that it would be difficult for me to micro dose such strong venom and I need to be realistic in my microdosing to gain immunity plan if I expect it to work, thanks again

13. tritto Dec 19, 2019

On a lighter note, I met this Christmas beetle on my way to work the other day. 3F3A156D-3F9D-4E1D-892B-9D7A86A66023.jpeg

14. kakscy Dec 20, 2019

Hello guys! Im on my honeymoon in Australia atm driving from Sydney all the way to Daintree then back to Sydney Melbourne and Tasmania

I would also like to buy a gmt watch on this honeymoon :)

20191218_211935.jpg 20191218_202744.jpg 20191218_145321.jpg
  15. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Dec 20, 2019

E17E96EC-04DF-4294-BE2A-FBADEE4334C8.jpeg Seems like fire would be a bigger concern than animals right now.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 21, 2019

17. speedydownunder Dec 21, 2019

18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 22, 2019

A clear reminder redback spiders are in the area ( Australian Black Widow )
    redback.jpg

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  19. queriver Dec 23, 2019

A real one at our place today.
    IMG_5929 - Copy.jpg

20. sxl2004 Dec 23, 2019

queriver likes this.