Forums Latest Members
  1. BBunter Jan 13, 2016

Hello everyone. I thought I would introduce myself to the forum and also ask my first question of the collective.

I've only relatively recently got the watch bug, buying my first (modern) auto a couple of years ago. I've been toying with getting a vintage Omega for the last year or so but was scared off by tales of 'frankens' and fakes. A disappointing effort from Santa led me to pick up my hunt for my first quality watch and my research soon brought me here. And what a knowledgeable and fine bunch you all seem.

So, on to the question...

My first foray in to vintage Omegas (and I am under no allusion that it will be just the first of many) is going to be at the less expensive end of the spectrum. Buying from a forum member seems like the best way to minimise the risk of buying a pup so I have my eye on the following. Any thoughts on one versus another for the Omega virgin? (I am conscious the sellers are all very active forum members and I am sure they are all lovely watches).

1. Stainless steel Dennison: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-cal-501-dennison-completely-original-with-all-boxes-papers-and-receipts-bargain.33711

2. Constellation with "integrated" strap: https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-constellation-368-0845-complete-overhaul.32430/

3. Day Date 'Sparkle': https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-day-date-price-reduction.31844/#post-372600

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 13, 2016

The day date sparkle is a great into into vintage omega! That watch is a good price and the seller is a Standup guy - not that the others aren't also, but I have a soft spot for the sparkles.. :)

Buckeyes#1 and JohnSteed like this.
  3. peatnick Jan 13, 2016

Welcome BBunter you may not have noticed but the Dennison is on hold pending funds (OHPF) meaning a buyer has agreed to purchase already - you'll catch on to the vernacular soon :)

4. BBunter Jan 13, 2016

Thanks guys. I had noticed but not understood and therefore ignored the acronym. I have a lot to learn and this is the least of it!

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 13, 2016

Agree

Buckeyes#1 and JohnSteed like this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 13, 2016

Is go for the dennison first and sparkle close second.

Not only you're getting an omega watch but your going classic from the start.... Good start.

7. JohnSteed Jan 13, 2016

Hi @BBunter -- OF is a great place to start.

This also is a nice video if just starting to collect, especially vintage Omega

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 14, 2016

Welcome to the forum mate.

Very wise of you to set an avatar of your choice, otherwise...........

BB.jpg

9. cfw Jan 14, 2016

If Dennisons deal falls though go for that one. Thats the one I would take

10. BBunter Jan 14, 2016

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately the Dennison, as has been pointed out, is all but sold and the Sparkle sold over night. As in all things, you snooze you lose.

I think the Constellation with the integrated bracelet isn't quite my style, for my first Omega. So back to the drawing board and waiting for a watch at the right price point... In the meantime I will continue my Omega education.

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 14, 2016

What's your price point? I was about to list this one of you are interested
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

italy1861, Buckeyes#1 and Peemacgee like this.
  12. BBunter Jan 14, 2016

Looks lovely.

I am looking to spend less than £500. I am assuming my first purchase will be something of a learning experience and will therefore probably not end up being a watch I keep for a long time. So I don't want to spend too much this time round.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 14, 2016