Forums Latest Members
  1. stater02 Oct 7, 2019

Hello everyone. Let me start out by saying that I'm not a watch guy, and this is my first post here, so please be gentle. (If you want to talk bourbon, I'm all ears!)

My gramps recently passed and he fashioned himself as a bit of a watch guy. He did most of his collecting in the 70s when his business was doing well. He especially loved older omegas and military watches as he was in the Army. He left me and my cousins some of his watches in his will. I got one of his favorites - a 53 RAF Thin Arrow. Obviously, this watch has sentimental value to me. I also like the look of it (but, it's too small for my wrist, if I'm being honest.)

Here's the rub. My research on this watch says that it's radium paint. Research on this topic - some of which that I've read here - is conflicting. It's a big deal, it's not a big deal. My wife and I work in healthcare, and we have young ones in the house. I'm not entirely comfortable having this watch around. She's *REALLY* not comfortable with it.

Would love to hear any comments from the board on a) realistic risk level (again, young kids in the house. I worry they find it in a drawer and play around with it, and b) if i were to sell this, what the best place to do so with the vintage omega watch community? I apologize if these are dumb questions. I really wish I could just wear this thing and think of him without the health concerns.

Including a picture. Apologies that the quality is not very good.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 10.55.23 PM.png
    Bille and DaveK like this.
  2. oinkitt Oct 7, 2019

I wouldn't be losing any sleep re this issue.

There has been a lot of research done over the years re the radium in watches. The results can be accessed via a number of forums.

The current consensus is that you don't sleep with it under you pillow and store it in a ventilated area.

Edited Oct 8, 2019
    felsby, mzinski, Bille and 1 other person like this.
  3. michael22 Oct 7, 2019

Issues may arise if you inhale the radioactive dust. This can't happen if you don't dismantle the watch.
    Secondly, small amounts of radon gas can be emitted. Any kind of normal ventilation should take care of that.

I have several, & am not worried.

felsby and Dan S like this.
  4. Dan S Oct 7, 2019

Firstly, I want to point you towards a good thread for posting about bourbon, I would like to hear some good suggestions: https://omegaforums.net/threads/wrud-drinking-today.23705/page-167#post-1335974

Regarding radium lume, the topic has been beaten to death on this forum and others (watchuseek, MWRforum, etc.). Read those threads ... there's nothing left to add. You won't get any new opinions by starting a new thread. Most people (including me, and I have relevant professional expertise) think the danger is minimal, but risk tolerance is a personal decision and in every thread some people indicate that they're not comfortable with it.

My honest interpretation of your post is that you have basically already decided to sell. You are not allowed to post on the private sales forum until you reach 200 posts, but since you have already announced your intention to sell, you will be contacted by private message if someone is interested. Selling on the "PX" of mwrforum.net would be a good option. But please practice a bit and post some good photos.

michael22, DaveK and stater02 like this.
  5. aginoz Oct 7, 2019

I’m a big proponent of keeping family heirlooms in the family. Once sold - you can’t get it back. There is radium on the watch, lume plots and hands, and it will continue to off gas Radon and ping alpha and gamma radiation for many centuries. The issue is - how much Radon and radiation is produced. I own a few watches with radium and store them in a safe in the basement. I don’t wear these watches but know plenty of collectors who do wear their radium lumed watches. If it was my watch - would keep it and store it away from family/kids/wife and share on family occasions.

stater02 and michael22 like this.
  6. kkt Oct 7, 2019

I'd consider putting the watch away where the kids won't get at it at least until they're old enough not to try to eat it. Safe deposit box? I'd be a fan of keeping it, though. Wearing it once in a while seems to me to be an acceptable risk. I think of watchmakers who are probably around more radium dials every day than you'll see in a lifetime, and I see them in good health in their late 50s and not doing anything really special to protect against the radium.

I'll just mention that I believe it's possible to re-lume the watch with a nonradioactive lume. Collectors won't like that option, because it's non-original, new lumes don't have the same glow as old ones, etc. But it's your watch and if that makes you comfortable with wearing it, maybe it would be a good choice.

7. Bille Oct 8, 2019

I wouldn´t worry to much about the radium - especially if you keep it away from your children. That said - it´s a beautiful watch and rare - with the original radium. Do you have any idea about how much you are going to sell it for - if you have desided to sell?

8. Dan S Oct 8, 2019

Holy crap! They made it all the way to their late 50s? :eek:

Verdi, Sidnos and DaveK like this.
  9. stater02 Oct 8, 2019

No, I have no clue what it’s worth to collectors. I haven’t been able to find comp sales on it. I’ve only been able to find ones for sale with the fat arrow design.

10. mzinski Oct 8, 2019

^^^ This! Simple and concise.

If I were you I would keep it and enjoy it. Store in a ventilated area, wear it happily, and tell your wife a bunch of strangers on the internet said it was okay.

thelinendial, DaveK, chronos and 2 others like this.
  11. kkt Oct 8, 2019

I have no information on watchmakers older than that, sorry.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 8, 2019

No dramas just don’t lick the dial if the crystal comes off.

You could have the lume removed and relumed with a vintage look that is not radium and wear it happily. It’s due a service so you could ask for a relume ( even lick the dial safely :thumbsup: )

doing this will upset the collectibility of the watch but being sentimental it’s OK

DaveK and Sidnos like this.
  13. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 8, 2019

14. stater02 Oct 8, 2019

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The consensus everywhere seems to be "you're probably fine". I guess that should be good enough, I was hoping to get greater levels of certainty, especially around the gamma radiation. The re-lume option is interesting, but I'd hate to take something that has strong collector value and ruin it. I suppose I could sell it and then find a version without radium. Anyway, this gives me quite a bit to think about, so, thank you.

The good news is that he left me with a total of 3 vintage Omegas, and I'm definitely keeping the other two. One is a late 60s Seamaster Deville that I'll hold onto for my son. The second, based on my research, is a Ed White version of the Speedmaster. I'll definitely be keeping that one as it fits my wrist nicely and I don't think it'll make me grow a 6th finger on my left hand. Maybe it will even turn me into a watch guy after all. :)

Edited Oct 8, 2019
    DaveK and felsby like this.
  15. stater02 Oct 8, 2019

That looks like a fun thread! I'll be happy to make some recommendations on the bourbon front. I was lucky enough to start a bunker many years ago before the bourbon bubble. Tons of trading/buying/selling groups out there, but the last few years have seen many of them suffer from counterfeit bottles, and now Facebook is starting to shut down groups. The party is over, I'm afraid.

16. Edward53 Oct 8, 2019

::popcorn::

DaveK, chronos, Sidnos and 1 other person like this.
  17. new_heuer Oct 8, 2019

OP please can we have some photos of the whole collection? There might be some gems in there you have missed

felsby likes this.
  18. Bille Oct 8, 2019

You can not mention that you have more watches without posting some pictures. Especially the Ed White could be interesting. I have one myself - and in my opinion it’s the most beautiful Speedmaster ever made. So please post some pictures.

thelinendial likes this.
  19. ilayd Oct 8, 2019

Pass the popcorn, I want to see the Ed White too.

chronos likes this.
  20. stater02 Oct 8, 2019

Sorry! Go easy on the new guy. I'm on the road for work this week. I promise to post a picture when I get back home this weekend! It's in pretty good shape from what I can tell. I believe the bracelet is original. It's lost a little bit of elasticity, so I was thinking about getting a leather band instead.