Forums Latest Members
  1. msteam Dec 15, 2019

My new Speedmaster racing master chronometer rotor can clearly be heard my seamaster is completely silent is the Speedmaster in disrepair

2. faapaa Dec 15, 2019

The rotor bearings makes a sound when rotating. Presumably nothing wrong with it

3. NT931 Dec 15, 2019

For starters, punctuation is in disrepair. :whistling:

It's not uncommon for rotors to make some noise when they're spinning or moving. Quite normal.

4. Canuck Dec 15, 2019

The rotors on many watch movements operate quite silently. Generally, such movements do not use ball bearings in the rotor (I. e. Rolex). Rotors that use ball bearings usually do not operate as silently. You probably don’t have a problem. But if you are comparing the quiet operation of some rotors to the sound of the rotor of the Omega, you will hear a difference. The rotor with ball bearings tends to be more rugged in the event of an accident.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 15, 2019

which speedy racing exactly? And define new?

6. PhilF Dec 18, 2019

My recently purchased Omega Speedmaster Coaxial Chronograph 38mm (ref 324.30.38.50.01.001) uses the same 3330 movement as your Speedmaster Racing. Have noticed when setting & handling it I can clearly feel and hear the rotor movement. Looking at blowups of the movement on the Omega website, you can see that it's clearly a ball bearing on the rotor. Feels normal on the wrist and is, so far, running about +1/sec/day. My (recently traded) Seamaster 300m (ref 210.30.42.20.03.001) w/8800 movement never made made any sound I was aware of, unsure if it was ball bearings. Neither of my Seiko watches with 6R15 movement make any sounds. I would imagine that each movement would have it's own sound/feel. I wouldn't be concerned if the watch is operating/timing properly.

7. drhex Dec 18, 2019

The 9300 in the Sides of the Moon creates quite a racket.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  8. Claven2 Dec 18, 2019

Yeah, depends on the movement. For example valjoux 7750 derivatives have a noisy rotor with a charscteristing "sproing" sound. Others sound more like scraping.

Rotor noise is pretty standard on some movements, others are quiet. If it bothers you, select a different model with a movement known to be less loud.

Honestly, I don't usually notice such things on wrist and don't obsess about it.

9. dougwhiz Dec 18, 2019

My automatic gen 1 Dynamics are very quiet. I recently owned an Autodromo watch with a Miyota movement where the movement spun very freely, so you'd occasionally hear it and feel it. And every so often if you moved it just right, the momentum really got it spinning. It reminded me of the old Tilt A Whirl carnival rides. You'd kind of spin back and forth as the ride rotated around, and every once in a while the centrifugal force would really start you spinning.

10. Wryfox Dec 19, 2019

It's like a Ferrari, you gotta pay for that noise....:rolleyes:

chronos likes this.
  11. Duckie Dec 19, 2019

True enough.
    And sometimes you gotta pay for the quiet as well. The Rolex 31XX movements come to mind.