Forums Latest Members

Nivada Grenchen Antarctic Thoughts

1. Polar44 Nov 17, 2019

Another of my Antarctics.
    This one is a much later Antarctic VII.

47F08221-9AB5-4367-8EE9-7C7A36940B6F.jpeg
    wpybus, DaveK, allwoundup and 2 others like this.
  2. JoeB22 Dec 11, 2019

0B3843F6-7A54-48E9-892F-3F6E392B2C45.jpeg New to the OF and don’t tell the moderator but may have joined just to add to this thread. I am fairly new to vintage watches and was instantly taken by the design features of the Antarctic. I was even lucky enough to pickup an early version (I think) and it has become my everyday watch. Looking for more info I have exhausted all the usual internet searches, so figured I would add my 2 cents here. Obviously has the early case (electroplated but wearing off to show SS beneath), original crown, blued second hand and ‘icicle’ markers. However, it doesn’t have the Antarctic script above the six. I have tried to cross reference other images of Antarctic and that is the only thing missing. I have even noticed that on the back case of most there is a possible serial number that always starts with 61L. Part of me thinks there are just too many variations of these but nonetheless I love how unique and reliable they are.

xbarx1, janice&fred and Polar44 like this.
  3. Polar44 Dec 11, 2019

Glad you said that Joe as I’m exactly the same !!!
    Love the Nivadas especially the Antarctics.

noelekal and JoeB22 like this.
  4. janice&fred Dec 12, 2019

I have basically the same looker as you but with different case back. we found it in an antique shop in cebu city. for the life of me I can't figure how a watch model named "Antarctic" ended up here in the deep tropical south pacific :)

IMG_1073.jpg IMG_1071.jpg

xbarx1, wpybus, neilfrancis and 3 others like this.
  5. allwoundup Dec 12, 2019

Cheating here, as this is an Aquamatic, not an Antarctic, but thought Croton/Nivada fans might like....

AquamaticB.23.jpg AquamaticB.15.jpg AquamaticB.18.jpg AquamaticB.19.jpg AquamaticB.21.jpg
    xbarx1, wpybus, inchpincher and 5 others like this.
  6. ginobass Jan 2, 2020

Hello All,
    I'm cheating here too!

I have a Croton Nivada Grenchen Aquamatic that belonged to my grandfather. It came to me after my dad died 10 years ago and it's been sitting for a long time. I rediscovered it in a box, so started some research. I learned it was an automatic/self-winding so I wore it for a while and...it works!! I will bet it hasn't run in at least 30+ years since grampa died, and I doubt it was ever serviced. It runs about 9 minutes fast per hour though.

Info on the web for these Croton Nivada watches is a bit thin. Since I found this thread on Omega I am asking if any of you can recommend a competent watchmaker for a service? A mechanical and face cleaning, crystal and case buff, and time adjustment, the basics. I would really like to get this guy going as a daily wearer.

Thanks in advance! I have some pics, I apologize they're not the greatest. I don't know how folks like Allwoundup get such beautiful pics!!

k7 166.jpg k7 168.jpg

xbarx1, noelekal and allwoundup like this.
  7. allwoundup Jan 2, 2020

Attached are before and after photos of a couple of my Aquamatics to give you an idea of what you might expect after "cleaning up" your watch. Both watches started out in similar condition. On the first watch, I just buffed the case and crystal by hand with a jeweler's cloth. The case of the second watch was gone over lightly on a polishing wheel, and the crystal was replaced. If opting for a polishing wheel make certain that person doing the polishing goes LIGHTLY. Unless the plastic used in your crystal has actually clouded, it should come out looking new after careful polishing. I have emailed you with some additional info. Welcome to OF....good luck with your watch....looking forward to some "after" photos.

AquamaticA.01.jpg AquamaticA.05.jpg AquamaticA.13.jpg AquamaticA.14.jpg AquamaticB.01.jpg AquamaticB.02.jpg AquamaticB.13.jpg AquamaticB.15.jpg
    xbarx1, noelekal and janice&fred like this.
  8. ginobass Jan 2, 2020

Wow, terrific!!! I will respond to your email, thank you!!

I am in the Western New York area (Buffalo/Niagara Falls) and about an hour away from Rochester, if any forum members know of a good watchmaker in my area please let me know!!

allwoundup likes this.
  9. Dr.K Jan 28, 2020

Interesting note on the copper! Thanks!!!

10. neilfrancis Apr 16, 2020

It's now 20 years since Goldfrapp released Felt Mountain.
    I had been hoping to see them on tour this year, but that's not happening now.
    I know I'm mixing up my geography, and The Matterhorn is not in the Antarctic, but the CD cover art made a nice background for a couple of recent pick-ups.
    EzS2SxFfTua9Gc4nSBkpMQ.jpg keftrJLYSxW3upvKtHw0qw.jpg

Aash, wpybus, noelekal and 10 others like this.
  11. speedbird Jun 2, 2020

I’m curious if anyone knows when the 30mm cases Antarctics started?

xbarx1 likes this.
  12. Professor Jun 2, 2020

I have to wonder about the lubrication that allowed such accuracy in such harsh temperature extremes.
    A lot of research on sub zero lubricants was done before and during WW2, especially by the Russians.
    Of course when covered by heavy winter clothing the watch would not be exposed to exterior temperatures for more than a few seconds at a time.

13. xbarx1 Jun 3, 2020

My assumption is that the 30mm Antarctic models were earlier than the 34.5mm model created for the 1957-58 International Geophysical Year. Here's a couple s-l1600-1.jpg FlintstonePenguin.jpg View attachment 1001507 30mm versions with two dial variations labeled Antarctic Penguin on the dial. There's a black dial version of the top model that I've seen. I like the other version more, has more character with the deco flintstone chiseled type. The ghosting on the dial is pretty awesome too. I have two others with no patina and another that turned dark tan.
    These 30mm models did not have drilled through lugs, so they are 50's vs. 40's.

Edited Jun 3, 2020
    wpybus, Polar44, noelekal and 5 others like this.
  14. Polar44 Aug 12, 2020

Anyone bought any additions to their Nivada / Croton collection recently ?
    #justasking

15. allwoundup Aug 12, 2020

I picked up this Croton Acurator a few weeks ago.

Acurator.02.jpg Acurator.04.jpg Acurator.07.jpg Acurator.01.jpg
  16. Polar44 Aug 12, 2020

Nice !
    Something a bit different

allwoundup likes this.
  17. Buynitsky Aug 12, 2020

Nice one!

allwoundup likes this.
  18. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Aug 12, 2020

Very cool look with that case. But my question is why did it need to be adjusted often enough to give the power to the user? Wonder how much time you were actually able to adjust out.

I put this on my IG but might as well share here since it was bumped

Unknown.jpeg :

Mafkees, 0uss, neilfrancis and 7 others like this.
  19. allwoundup Aug 12, 2020

Here is a link to an article about some adjustment innovations used by various watch manufacturers which you might find interesting....the Croton Acurator is included in the article. https://www.revolution.watch/avia-ajustor-the- best-vintage- watch-youve- never- heard- of/

Polar44 and MoclovFlop like this.
  20. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Aug 12, 2020

Oh man that's scary! You are genuinely swinging the regulator it's full sweep on the Croton. So nothing stopping you from throwing it out of whack by hundreds of seconds a day.

Bold faith right there.

Thanks for the link!

Mafkees and allwoundup like this.