Forums Latest Members

SOLD Nice Vintage RODANIA Broad-arrow Diver!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 3, 2021

RODANIA is one of those smaller manufacturers that made some very nice dive watches in the '60s, and this one is a good example.

The case is of a type that was used by a number of manufacturers, including Titus, for their popular (and now quite expensive) Calypsomatic divers. It includes a screw-down crown, setting the watch apart from those with less (originally) waterproof solutions. The case was originally guaranteed waterproof to a depth of 666 ft. It measures 37mm, and is substantial on the wrist. It is in very good condition, with only a few light scratches on the back, and none of the deep gouges that sometimes mar vintage dive watch cases.

The dial and broad-arrow hand-set are in excellent, original condition, and are very attractive, in my view.

The bezel shows plenty of signs of wear, but does rotate, and with just the right amount of friction.

The movement is a hand-wind, rather than the more common automatic of the period. Not sure of the precise caliber, but it is an A. Schild (AS) base.

The only mechanical issue that I am aware of is one that is not uncommon in divers from this era with screw-down crowns. When the crown is unscrewed, there are two positions used to manipulate the watch. The first, with just a gentle pull, is the winding, and the second, is the setting. They both work properly, but when returning from the setting position, there is a fair amount of play, and so it is best to go back to the initial (screw-down) position, rather than trying to wind. In other words, after unscrewing the crown, pull gently, and wind the watch. Then, if necessary, pull again, feel the click, and set. But from that final position, it is best to return to the original screw-down position.

Judged by the inside of the case back, it appears that the watch was last serviced in 2013. I would certainly recommend a service for regular wear, and have not tested it for accuracy.

I ask 485€ (or USD equivalent) for this attractive, well-preserved, and high-quality diver, and will ship EMS express from my home in Portugal at that price. PayPal or bank transfer, the latter being preferred in Europe.

Feel free to ask any questions!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zdzislaw, apsm100, VinceFR and 8 others like this.
  2. Shabbaz Mar 3, 2021

Nice looking watch and good price for a 37mm.

Zdzislaw and Tony C. like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 4, 2021

Interest shown, but still available...

Zdzislaw likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 6, 2021

One more bump before offering the watch to a wider audience!

Dan S likes this.
  5. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 6, 2021

If the dial said OMEGA it would be priced at 10 times @Tony C.'s asking price and be gone within an hour.

A really nice original legible dial, a work horse of a movement, a full steel case with a screw down crown and a fair asking price.

Tony C. likes this.
  6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 7, 2021

Sold! Thank to the buyer, and, as always, the Mods and OF owners, :thumbsup:

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  7. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 7, 2021

Congrats on the sale Tony. Someone got a really great watch.

maanu and Tony C. like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 7, 2021

Thanks very much for your support!

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.