Forums Latest Members

Newer AQ gaining time when walking

1. jtmo3 Nov 6, 2019

Got a fairly new (couple months old) aqua terra 8900. It's been keeping great time. Just over .5 seconds a day gain. Until today. It was less than 2 seconds fast since I set it saturday for daylight saving ending. I actually checked it this morning from the nist site. I went walking (fast walking, getting old sucks!) and for some reason, checked it against my work computer and it was fast. So I compared it to NIST again and it had gained about 8 seconds in that 30 minute walk.

Has anyone else noticed this on their omega. I haven't. I had a seiko do this before, but never an omega. Other than that, this watch has been great and kept super time.

2. keepitsimple Nov 6, 2019

If you're 100% sure about your time checks - sorry to imply any doubt ! then there's surely something basically wrong. I'm presuming it hasn't had a real hard knock of any sort.
    These are supposed to be among the most anti-magnetic movements out there, so it shouldn't be anything to do with that.
    I'd get it checked out on a timing machine. As it's under warranty an Omega Approved Dealer or Omega Boutique should be able to do that for you. If you're not close to one, any local watch repairer will have one.

3. jtmo3 Nov 6, 2019

Ya, well, there is no warranty with it. It GM. Yes, I am sure about the times. I always use nist and only them. But it's been super reliable until today. I've walked with it before and it's never done this. I do walk fast and don't fling my arms, but they move a bit. I'm hoping it's a fluke but I would tend to doubt it. I've had seikos do it and was told it was because it was a slow beat movement. How true that is, I have no idea. I do know the co-axial is slower beat than the 28800. Just the first issue I've had with the watch and was interested to see if others had had anything like this happen.

4. Canuck Nov 6, 2019

Was this the first time you found the watch had gained after a power walk? Re-set it and wear it during your normal routine and check the time keeping again. Chances are it will return to its normal behaviour. Before your next power walk, do a time check on it, then do a time check again after your session. Power walking often means vigorous movements of the arms. Chances are this is the situation with yours. If that proves to be the case, it could mean a gripping bridle which would be covered under warranty.. But if is a result of vigorous motion? Maybe somebody has an answer.

5. Evitzee Nov 6, 2019

When I used to wear my 1972 Speedmaster when riding my 1976 BMW R75/6 motorcycle the watch would gain about 15 seconds over a 3 hour ride. The BMW's of that era were very smooth at speed but shaky at slow speeds and when idling. Watch kept fine timing when off the bike, but it just didn't like vibration. Recheck the timing next time you walk.

6. keepitsimple Nov 6, 2019

Shame there's no warranty - as Canuck suspects, it might be (over) banking as a result of the mainspring not slipping as it should and giving too much power as a result of your energetic movement. If so, that would be a repair job.
    Archer is the best possible person on here to give an expert opinion.

7. jtmo3 Nov 6, 2019

I have power walked with it before and it's not done this. I will probably go again in the next 2 days. I check time before and after and report back. Hopefully it never happens again but I'm skeptical. Thanks.

8. Claven2 Nov 6, 2019

Any chance you were near any magnets?

9. jtmo3 Nov 6, 2019

No, no magnets. Walked fast but not really faster than normal. I've been real impressed with the watch before because it's never wavered until today.It's 8 seconds fast and has remained the same the rest of the day. Just jumped during the walk.

10. scapa Nov 6, 2019

Maybe it's counting calories?

I had a Tissot that did that when I cycled. Never worked it out, and still wear it, though not on my bike.

chronos likes this.
  11. Claven2 Nov 6, 2019

How long have you had it? Time to service it?

12. jtmo3 Nov 7, 2019

No. Only 2 months.

13. Canuck Nov 7, 2019

So, the watch is Grey Market, and there is no warranty. Someone earlier in the thread asked you if it was time for a service. Your reply was, “No. Only two months.” The only history you know about the watch is actually the last two months. There are (as I read it) a number of unknowns in this issue. Whether this watch is actually brand new (with no warranty), or used (with no warranty), you might be on the hook if the irregular performance persists. Unless the seller will cover the warrantee.

Larry S likes this.
  14. jtmo3 Nov 7, 2019

The seller was Jomashop. Bought in September new. Since the gain when fast walking, the watch has gone back to it's regular great timekeeping so far. This is the only issue I've had with it. And I understand if it needs warranty, I'm on the hook. The price was good enough to justify the risk. Again, other than the fast walk time gain, it's still keeping great time. I just wouldn't think that the watch should have been affected by fast walking in 60 degree weather, but I'm not sure, maybe being mechanical, that's normal. Thanks for the responses. Trying to learn a little here!

15. drhombus24 Nov 7, 2019

I played soccer a couple of times with my 8500 PO and it seemed to always be keeping time consistently. Since they are essentially the same movements, I’d expect the same for you. You may have to bite the bullet and get it serviced

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 7, 2019

I cannot tolerate a watch that does what you report. Invest in a full service.

17. jtmo3 Nov 7, 2019

Went for another fast walk today...even faster than yesterday. The watch didn't skip a beat. It didn't gain or loose anything. Now I'm stumped. Was yesterday a fluke? Hate it when something like this happens. You just never know. But at least it was normal today. I guess I'll keep an ye on it for a while.

18. jtmo3 Nov 8, 2019

Went again today and the watch gained 5 seconds in a 30 minute fast walk. I checked the time against NIST before I left and checked again with NIST when I got back. 5 seconds. This is a watch that has gained less than 1 second a day for the past two months. And still keeps great time except when fast walking all the sudden. I guess I'm relegated to not wearing it when walking or relenting to the fact that it's going to gain time when I walk. 2 of the last 3 days it's gained when I walked.

Am I stuck with my quartz watches or am I going to have to constantly reset the Omega? Kind of disheartening.

19. watchmatti Nov 8, 2019

Never heard of any Omega movement showing this behavior but it's quite common with Rolex movements, especially the 31xx series. I don't know the proper English expression, probably "bouncing" might be right. It is caused by a high balance amplitude that increases even more due to the acceleration when moving the arm while running or walking fast. If the amplitude exceeds 360 degrees, the balance "bounces" back faster than usual which leads to a time gain. It is reported for Rolex movements to gain up to 45 seconds while rearing them for running about half an hour. So you might get your watch's amplitude checked.

20. MRC Nov 8, 2019

How about doing half the way backwards?

DailyAdvancement likes this.