Forums Latest Members

Please help! Vintage Omega Meister Seamaster gaining time

1. Shankified Mar 18, 2019

Hi all,

This is the first ever thread I’m creating. As this is an amazing place to learn and possibly the only place with several Omega enthusiasts/experts, I wanted some help with my mother-in-law’s SM.

Over an 8-hour period, this watch gained 1.5 hours in time. This is obviously beyond the tolerance level.

When I took this to an OB, they said it could cost around 1k GBP! My mother-in-law will not pay that and I don’t have that kind of money to pay for someone else’s watch (just yet).

Is there a way I could get this fixed without going thru the OB? Also, do I need to do everything OB have mentioned on their email?

The prong I have is slightly bigger than the caseback for this watch so I couldn’t open it to show you the movement.

The dial is damaged and the print at 6 o’clock is missing S and possibly a T. The case has several cracks. The side of the case appears to have been damaged - maybe some watchmaker tried opening with the caseback with a knife. The crown has been replaced.

Oh one more thing - when I wind the crown clockwise and let go, the crown moves anti-clockwise for a fraction of a second.

This isn’t a purchase - but she inherited this from her mother-in-law.

36DF5A41-DBCC-46B6-A04A-9D619A61A0CD.jpeg 0ED39BFA-82E0-4C52-AAE4-6F547B6AB726.jpeg img_4968.jpg img_4971.jpg img_4970.jpg img_4972.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 18, 2019

A good independent watchmaker can service the watch for a fraction of what Omega asks.

Give us your location and someone can probably give you a recommendation.

3. Shankified Mar 18, 2019

Thank you!! I live in London, England. This watch was previously repaired by Creative Gold, 83 Marchmont Street, London.

4. Shankified Mar 23, 2019

@X350 XJR, this watch’s movement is Cal 620 if that helps.

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 23, 2019

Perhaps the movement is magnetized which is an easy fix?

Shankified likes this.
  6. Shankified Mar 23, 2019

Thanks, @gemini4. How could I have this fixed? Do you know any place in London that would do it?

7. pweingarten Mar 23, 2019

Yes, I think the movement is likely to be magnetized. Don't send it to Omega. Take it to the local watchmaker. He'll fix it up.

Shankified likes this.
  8. Canuck Mar 23, 2019

That watch appears to me to be new enough that being magnetized is unlikely. Needs a thorough service by someone who specializes in vintage mechanical watches. The British Horological Institute (BHI) maintains a list of BHI members that might be worth a look. Also Simon Freese is often recommended. He’s in England, but I don’t know where he’s located.

http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

Shankified and connieseamaster like this.
  9. DON Mar 23, 2019

Were you happy with the work done by the previous watchmaker - Creative Gold

If so. Mention they did repair it previously and you were happy with the work and ask them if they could run it through a demagnetizer and see what happens.

Takes a minute and they shouldn't charge you for it

DON

Shankified likes this.
  10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 23, 2019

If you have access to a compass, place the compass next to the watch. If the watch becomes north, you have your answer.

Shankified and hoipolloi like this.
  11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 23, 2019

Set it on your iPad, it will be magnetized immediately.

Tom

Rochete likes this.
  12. Canuck Mar 23, 2019

Use my de-magnetizer three or four times a year, to de-magnetize screwdrivers. But go ahead. Try it and get back to us.:D

Shankified likes this.
  13. budgewink Mar 23, 2019

Shankified likes this.
  14. Shankified Mar 24, 2019

Thank you all.

I shall take this to Creative Gold and ask them to demagnetise the watch.

Will let you know what they say :)

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 24, 2019

When was the last service completed? If it was recently, then there's a good chance that all it requires is demagnetization - there are more magnetic fields around us than ever before, and watches are regularly demagnetized during service. Demagnetizing is an easy and non invasive thing that can be done quickly, so it's certainly worth a try. There are other possible reasons for such a large rate gain, but as far as I know the 620 is not prone to things like the balance spring getting caught up on the stud.

If the watch has not been serviced for a number of years, then likely a full service will be required. As noted a local watchmaker can service this for far less than Omega would charge, but I would have them pressure test it to determine if the case is sealed once the work is done, just so you know if it needs to be kept dry or not.

Cheers, Al

16. Shankified Mar 25, 2019

It was my mother-in-law who took the watch here. But given that the problem is fixed after they swapped the omega crown and strap/buckle with third-party parts I’m not sure if I want to take this watch here again.

17. Shankified Mar 25, 2019

@Archer i found this on Omega-Fanatic.

According to this extract, Cal 620 is antimagnetic.

Given this information, should I still check if this watch is magnetised?

Maybe a silly question but can I use the iPhone compass?

CEBD4F05-8C8C-4372-80CE-3A1ACD7F46A0.png
  18. Shankified Mar 25, 2019

No thanks. If it’s magnetised shouldn’t I do something to demagnetise it?

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 25, 2019

Yes, you should still check. Even though this movement has some resistance to magnetism, it is certainly not impervious to it.

I have no experience with the iPhone compass, so I have no idea if it works in a way that will detect magnetism in a watch...

20. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 25, 2019

It is worthless for that, Al.

Lepsi has an app where you're supposed to set your watch on the iPhone's magnetic sensor to detect magnetism in the movement.

As you might guess, it's nearly worthless.

Tom