Forums Latest Members

Newbie to Omega and Vintage Watches and have questions

1. Jeff15 Apr 5, 2018

Hi everyone,

I've caught the Omega/Vintage watch bug and I'm interested in acquiring a vintage Omega. I'm not interested in flipping it for a profit but I would like to buy a nice piece that I can wear for a few decades. So I'm trying to avoid redials, franken watches etc. I prefer dressier watches and have been looking at Constellation, Seamaster, Geneve watches.

1. Are there any other series I should be looking at aside from the above?
    2. Is there a difference in quality in the above names? From a cursory glance, it looks like Constellation is the most expensive and Geneve the more affordable. Is this reflecting quality or just more demand for the Constellation models?
    3. How old is too old?
    4. Are there any years that are associated w/ poor quality? I read somewhere that Omega was struggling in the 70s and 80s and their quality those years took a hit. Is that the case?
    5. Does this seem like a legit watch? - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/co...matic-vintage-swiss-wristwatch--id6073765.htm
    A lot of watches from the buyer seem cheaper than others in the category, so I was wondering if they were fakes
    6. I'm intrigued by the concept of birth year watches - anything interesting come out in 1992 from Omega?

Thanks everyone :)

Excited about my 'itch'

2. Gordon Heavyfoot Apr 5, 2018

Jesus I feel old.

Vicke, airansun, Vitezi and 11 others like this.
  3. Lucasssssss Apr 5, 2018

1. Are there any other series I should be looking at aside from the above?
    Read this (https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/) post things you like the look of. Do allot of reading

2. Is there a difference in quality in the above names? From a cursory glance, it looks like Constellation is the most expensive and Geneve the more affordable. Is this reflecting quality or just more demand for the Constellation models?
    Depends on the years, the Constellations are Chronometer so are more accurate, and are generally very nice watches, as well as the top of the line models. Geneves are nice though, especially some of the older ones

3. How old is too old?
    No such thing

4. Are there any years that are associated w/ poor quality? I read somewhere that Omega was struggling in the 70s and 80s and their quality those years took a hit. Is that the case?
    Not poor quality per se, but less interesting styles/movements (in many peoples opinions) in the 80s, the 70s had some really nice mechanical watches, with funky designs, which can still be had for cheap.

5. Does this seem like a legit watch? - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/co...matic-vintage-swiss-wristwatch--id6073765.htm A lot of watches from the buyer seem cheaper than others in the category, so I was wondering if they were fakes
    No, its a redial. But if you like the case look out for C shape omega constellations, and read this http://omega-constellation-collecto...12/constellation-c-shape-omegas-child-of.html

6. I'm intrigued by the concept of birth year watches - anything interesting come out in 1992 from Omega?
    The most interesting is probably the Louis Brandt line were limited and very nice (but rather expensive). For other stuff have a look here https://www.omegawatches.com/vintage-watches/?reference=

Stick around, pick a profile picture and contribute as much as you can!

Jeff15 and Foo2rama like this.
  4. ChrisN Apr 5, 2018

In general, the Constellation is the top of the line so, usually commands a higher price for a dress watch. There are exceptions such as early Genève watches and jumbo Seamaster chronometers from the 50s but the Constellation would be the one I'd aim for. Nothing wrong with the others but, if you're only intending to have one watch, I'd buy the best. I like Seamasters myself as there are many styles to choose from.

Sixties watches are generally as old as I'd recommend as the '50s movement parts are harder to come by. I don't think there are any particularly poor quality years but some calibres (movement design nunber) are more appreciated than others. A good year range would be 1960 to 1975 as this is what is popular now but, it's up to you.

I see @Lucasssssss just posted a more comprehensive reply so won't comment on items 5 and 6.

Good luck and take it slowly.:thumbsup:

Regards, Chris

Jeff15 likes this.
  5. Edward53 Apr 5, 2018

The 50s and 60s are in my opinion the "great" period for Constellations and Seamasters. The Geneves were good in the 50s but in the 60s that line became relegated to cheaper watches. Best thing is to sit back, take a good look at lots of the watches posted here, learn how to spot bad things and be patient while you learn what style you like best. What you initially like might not be the same as what you like a year down the line.

ADD: Here's what I consider three classics from my collection. The Constellation is c.1957, the Seamaster De Ville c. 1963 and the crosshair dial Seamaster c. 1961.

New 026.jpg New 027.jpg New 030.jpg

Edited Apr 5, 2018
    Jeff15, UncleBuck and mydeafcat like this.
  6. mydeafcat Apr 5, 2018

As a relative newbie (I’ll always be one, it seems), one who spent the better part of 3 months shirking work and other daily responsibilities to see if I’ve missed anything on OF, the advice to sit back and learn is nothing short of gospel. I still crave that typical entry-point - and now seemingly elusive - all-steel early 60s Seamaster Deville, but resisting the urge to jump and buy (funds are tight so there’s that), tough as it is sometimes, has allowed me the chance to learn about so many models I never understood before. Dome dial Connie’s, for example. Sub seconds. SM30 (bought me one of those!). Even other brands like IWC, Longines and Universal Genève. This ain’t a race; well, unless it is.

Welcome. These OF folks are wonderful. You came to the right place.
    —————
    My turn to add: @Edward53, you’re making an impatient hypocrite of me but so be it. Dibs!!!

Edited Apr 5, 2018
    Edward53, Jeff15 and Candle00 like this.
  7. seekingseaquest Apr 5, 2018

I’ll reiterate @mydeafcat’s comment - take your time. Figure out what you like and when the right one comes along, you’ll know. If you think it’ll turn into a hobby, your future self will thank you for ‘learning how to fish’ (per link above).

As for what I like.. 50s Seamasters, 50s Constellations, and 50s/60s Longines (Conquests, Flagships, Ultra Chrons).

Jeff15 and mydeafcat like this.
  8. DonovanMartin Apr 5, 2018

Good information right here. I'd especially agree on the idea regarding poor quality in the 70's & 80's. I think there may have been a rut in style but then again, why is one of the Speedmasters from the 80's a grail watch and the variety of the Mark series in the 70's was fantastic. Find what you love. Omega made some amazing time pieces.

Jeff15 likes this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Apr 5, 2018

Maybe a relative statement but not a definitive statement in my opinion.
    My caliber 861 from '72, I'll argue against any watch, from anywhere in space: IMGP4062-1.jpg :
    IMGP3708 smaller.jpg
    Space is important, but a football (soccer) game is life!

Edited Apr 5, 2018
    ChrisN, Edward53, Lucasssssss and 2 others like this.
  10. Jeff15 Apr 6, 2018

Haha. Bought my first automatic (Frederique Constant) after I graduated from college and have had the itch ever since.

Thanks everyone for the informative and helpful advice :) I'll wait to make a purchase (it's probably better for my wallet to wait anyway).

What's a "good" price for a Constellation in decent condition?

11. Edward53 Apr 6, 2018

Noted!

mydeafcat likes this.
  12. Edward53 Apr 6, 2018

Too many different answers to give here. Check out ebay Sold Listings and the Private Sales part of this forum.

13. Jeff15 Apr 6, 2018

The thing w/ ebay listings is that I don't know which ones are fakes/redials and which ones are genuine. I'll check out the private sales forum here.

14. Edward53 Apr 6, 2018

A fair point. Have a look at the Worst Redials thread. You should learn something from that and may even find it entertaining.