Forums Latest Members

[Newbie] Servicing Vintage C-Case Constellation - Waterproofing

1. Owl9891 Dec 18, 2019

Hi all

I am very close to purchasing a vintage C-Case Constellation 168.017 1966.

I will be taking it to a watchmaker and emphasising that I only want the movement serviced.

As I want to wear the watch often - I don't want it to become damaged by water (aka rain/washing hands). Will asking a watchmaker to "waterproof" this watch void any of its vintage characteristics? From what I understand, the gaskets provide waterproofing - is it ok to change these?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Gui13250 Dec 18, 2019

Hi,
    It’s a beautifully watch, do you have any pictures?

About waterproofing, a watchmaker told me that when he was servicing a vintage omega, he was also able to improve his water resistance (not talking about waterproofing...).
    So I guess it is possible, but I guess you’ll have also to change the plexi to do it?

Owl9891 likes this.
  3. JwRosenthal Dec 18, 2019

Any good watchmaker should have the means to pressure test the watch. Replacing the rear gasket is SOP for any service, but the crown gasket is typically overlooked and a prime source for moisture intrusion. There is much talk about keeping original crowns on a vintage watch- particularly Omega’s as they are part of the design esthetic, but the original crown gasket (which is captured and non replaceable) will be shot by now on your watch and a new factory Omega crown should be replaced (keep the original in storage if originality is important to you). Not replacing the crown would negate any efforts to make your watch water tight.
    And if the factory crystal is intact and not cracked, there is no need to replace it. Later sapphire crystals usually have a gasket that needs replacement but acrylic crystals make a pressure seal when they are seated properly.

lando and Owl9891 like this.
  4. Verdi Dec 18, 2019

Expecting a vintage watch to be waterproof is like expecting a vintage race car to run at LeMans.

janice&fred likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Dec 18, 2019

Agree- think “water resistant”. But a pressure test will tell you if if can take a splash or a dunk in the sink.

Owl9891 likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2019

Water resistance is a combination of things, including the condition of the case itself, case back, crystal, case tube, and lastly, the gaskets.

Vintage watches can often be made as water resistant as they were when new - I do this all the time. However it may requires replacing parts that are not cosmetically identical to the original parts, such as crowns, pushers, and crystals.

janice&fred, Owl9891 and Verdi like this.
  7. Verdi Dec 18, 2019

Constellation was not a diver and I don't thing it will pass a pressure test.

And to be honest, it is not a big deal. A new Patek Calatrava is rated to 30m....so, we are on the same boat with a vintage Connie.
    I guess a Connie was also rated to 30m originally.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2019

Pressure tests are done on non-dive watches all the time, and they pass fine...

9. Verdi Dec 18, 2019

they pass according to their rating. which in this case is 30m, right?

that means splash resistant only

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2019

No, it means 30 m....

janice&fred and ConElPueblo like this.
  11. amphib44 Dec 18, 2019

uhoh...

S.H., BlackTalon and janice&fred like this.
  12. Verdi Dec 18, 2019

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2019

You can beg to differ all you like. When Omega says a specific depth, they mean it can go to that depth.

14. Owl9891 Dec 18, 2019

I just want to make sure it won't get damaged in everyday wear - for example light splashes and rain...

Thank you for the details - hopefully I won't have to replace too many of the original parts to make it water resistant!

15. Verdi Dec 18, 2019

No, it does not....
    Ok, send me a ‘60s Connie pressure tested to 30m and I’ll take a boat out and submerge that puppy to 30m depth for 5 min.

I’ll video it. If you win I shall send you a bottle of Dom...if I win I ll just have a Sam Adam! ‍♂️

16. JwRosenthal Dec 18, 2019

Your watchmaker will advise you as to what needs to be done- just don’t be afraid of replacing the rear seal as “not original”, that is always part of a regular service. The crowns are factory parts so he needs access to an Omega parts account or another watchmaker he knows that cab supply him with the correct part.

I wear 1930’s-40’s snap back watches all the time and never have an issue with moisture- I’m just careful about not getting sink washing crazy above the wrist line and not wearing them on hot, humid summer days.

Owl9891 likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2019

You are free to believe what you wish, but Omega stands by their ratings, like any reputable company does.

Why do you believe that if it passes a pressure test to 30m, it won't be able to withstand 30m pressure of water? please be specific with your reasoning.

18. Verdi Dec 18, 2019

I really respect your expertise, I am sure you know so much more than any of us.

But, having said that, I do not think a ‘60s Connie would be suitable for swimming in the pool, let alone for going down to 30m depth.
    That is assuming the watch has been serviced and tested by you. So it is as good as it gets.

Why I do not think will withstand such depth? because all the available literature (that I could hv access to) regarding water resistance states 30m as only splash resistant.

I would not even think to take the chance with a vintage watch. And that is coming from someone who services regulary all his watches, I have mostly vintage pieces.

But, I am ready for the challenge. We can use the case only, no dial and movement.

Edited Dec 18, 2019
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2019

Maybe this will help you - no silly challenges required...

[​IMG]

connieseamaster likes this.
  20. Verdi Dec 18, 2019

That would be applicable for modern models, not for a ‘60s Connie.

Silly challenge or not that would be the only way to answer the question. Very empirical and relevant, imo.

PS: myth busters became very wealthy with the silly challanges!