Forums Latest Auctions Members

Newbie looking for an opinion on a SM300

1. tad

tad Jan 16, 2020

Hi all, I’m a long time listener but first time poster.

I’ve been collecting vintage watches on and off for a few years but recently got the Omega bug and purchased a SM300.

Prior to buying the piece I had my suspicions around the blue Bakelite bezel but would value an opinion from this community. The 166.073 IDF sports a very similar bezel so wondered if it’s interchangeable with the 165.024?

Also, I would value your opinion on the dial. Not sure if it’s been relumed, if so they’ve done a stellar job.

I’ve requested an archive from Omega so will be interesting to see what comes back.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

1FF42D0A-4ED8-4798-BF98-21D84A011EC8.png DE37CB17-4CB5-4666-B97F-120488554D69.png D8DE7DBA-CD58-4BB6-856D-17EB0434D0E5.png 1D363ECE-56F8-4524-942F-3A63A0889E7F.jpeg
  2. simonsays

simonsays Jan 16, 2020

Lovely watch. Although the bezels look the same they are not compatible. They look quite different on the reverse side.

With regards to the lume it is impossible to tell from a picture. The reaction to light, if original and correct should be a short intense glow quickly fading to nothing after a minute or so in the dark for this watch.

3. kox

kox Jan 16, 2020

Hi @tad and welcome onboard...

As said, the blue bezels are not interchangeable. Read more about that here.

And sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you have bought a franken. It didn't leave the factory in this state - at all.
    I would try to return the watch if possible.

Here's why:

1. Bezel was seen on the Bonham RN300 014/68 in their june 2017 auction. Lot 128. Lots of problems with that one, to early serial and reference etc. - and it didn't sell.

2. Fast forward to last year, where the Bonham lot was sold off in parts on the bay, but with another movment/serial (yours !) And seller stated that Omega couldn't make an extract for it. Was ended earlier this month.

3. And yours turn up shortly after with that blue bezel and that movement in another case, other hands/dial (or the same, just relumed) etc. - and seller claiming the watch is all original ... perhaps seller didn't knew, yeah right ::facepalm2::

If you like it (it does look good!), keep it.... but if you care about authenticity, return it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tad

tad Jan 16, 2020

I really appreciate you taking time out to reply with such a comprehensive response. Authenticity really matters to me so I will be returning the watch. Thanks again for your help. Great community

5. tad

tad Jan 16, 2020

Seller has agreed to take the watch back. Thanks again, I owe you a beer if you are ever in the U.K.

Dedalus05, Shabbaz and Pinoysurf like this.