Forums Latest Members
  1. ryancharles Mar 14, 2019

Hey guys,

Just hunting and found this for sale:

The solid stainless steel case is 35mm across excluding the crown; 40mm lug tip to lug tip. Case model 168.010. The crystal is brand new. New case back gasket and new high quality genuine lizard skin leather strap.
    Factory original dial is in excellent condition. The watch was professionally serviced last year and keeping accurate time. The automatic movement is an Omega caliber 564 with quick set date feature. Movement serial number reads 26458372 dating this watch to 1968.

Just wondering what the thought is around authenticity. I don't see anything off beyond the crown and maybe the case back. I don't see the swirls on the inside.

om1.jpg om2.jpg om3.jpg om4.jpg

fskywalker likes this.
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2019

Looks ok, crown is correct, no perlage inside case back is ok, too.
    Scrubbing mark on case back needs attention .

3. ryancharles Mar 14, 2019

sorry...by scrubbing mark...do you mean the black ring? would that be from the rotor? what would be causing that?

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 14, 2019

fskywalker, DaveK and KingCrouchy like this.
  5. ryancharles Mar 14, 2019

wow...video is really better than a million words! Ok..would need to get that changed...thanks. Does the dial look to be in decent shape?

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 14, 2019

Price needed for better advice

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 15, 2019

Yes a loose/bad bearing or bushing allowing the rotor to wobble and strike the case and or movement.

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 15, 2019

I like it, but then I'm slightly biased as I have two identical .010s

Good case, lovely dial, original crown, I'd buy it.

If it was professionally serviced then the rotor should have been sorted out and the marks removed from the inner case back.
    If it has happened since, then you will need a fresh service.

As above, price is very relevant.

One point, difficult to tell from the pic but are those onyx inserts? (they look like they might have the ridged profile of onyx and some depth to the inserts)
    If so a 26,4xxxx serial would push the window for onyx back a bit.

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 10.43.58.png

9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 15, 2019

24 mil Onyx inserts and black paint change only apply to 167.005 168.005.
    You can find late onyx inserts on 168.010 or 168.006 etc...

Davidt and Peemacgee like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2019

Certainly any loose debris should be removed from inside the case back, but to suggest that the marks this sort of thing leaves should be removed from the case back is going too far IMO. In every case back I've seen this in, the marks are not just dirt, so removing them would require some type of refinishing or machining operation, and to me that would be an inappropriate intervention.

Cheers, Al

Davidt and fskywalker like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2019

That's why I made it! :)

fskywalker likes this.
  12. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 15, 2019

My bet is the rotor pinion may have already been replaced. That whole bridge is a different color.

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 15, 2019

I certainly wasn’t suggesting that someone scrub the inner case back.

When I’ve had rotor rub (on at least couple of my Connies) after service the cases have come back without the rings on the inner case..
    I presumed this was a function of running the case through a sonic bath (or some other such magical cleaning device)

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2019

I always run the case back through the ultrasonic tank cleaner, and the parks don't come off - they case back has actually been damaged from the rubbing. If nothing else the rotor will flatten the high spots of the rougher finish, so it essentially polishes that ring into the case back. Your must not have had much of a mark if it came off in a cleaning machine...

15. ryancharles Mar 15, 2019

should I stay away...considering the different color bridge? The ask is $1300 USD

fskywalker likes this.
  16. KingCrouchy Mar 15, 2019

1300$ is too high for such an piece. I think 900-1000$ is more like a fair price for this watch. I would search for a better exemple.

17. ryancharles Mar 15, 2019

Thanks. As always you guys are the best

18. Vicke Mar 15, 2019

Better example?
    Dial, hands and case is as good as they come, it's been serviced and worn parts (the bride) has been changed. Whats not to like about it?
    (Assuming the service took care of the rubbing rotor problem).

19. ryancharles Mar 15, 2019

I'll keep looking. If anyone on the forum has a similar 168.010 to sell, feel free to reach out.

20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 16, 2019

I was going to say the same as this.

Understandably, everyone likes their watch to be ‘original’ when they buy it - but if you owned the watch and had to have the bridge replaced at service then it would be the right thing to do.
    You don’t look at the movt - and I promise you that after five minutes of wearing this splendid Connie you’ll forget about what is inside.

Ask about the bridge, ask about the rotor rub - make sure everything stacks up.
    Bargain them down due to ‘unoriginality affecting the collector’s premium’ if you will but whilst a bit high, $1,300 is not out of the way for a serviced Connie in this condition.

Vicke likes this.