Forums Latest Members
  1. CRistow Jul 18, 2018

Hello gentlemen-
    First time posting here. (Active on various other forums)
    After not wearing a watch since I was a teenager, my young son inspired me to try it out again a few months ago. So I bought a super-cheapo and wore it, and liked it. So now I am looking for a nicer one.
    I always liked vintage Omegas, so that is where my attention is currently focused.
    I am an artist, a metal sculptor, an off-road motorcyclist, and generally quite active. So from all this, we can infer a few things important to the selection of a watch:
    • I like nice things
    • I don't have tons of money
    • I am hard on stuff (I beat the hell out of that super-cheapo watch over the last few months...)
    After spending quite a bit of time on eBay I have gravitated strongly to the looks of a particular model of Constellation. HerePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network is one nice-looking example, and herePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network is another that is more in my price range. HerePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network is yet another not-so-expensive one (but I don't like the discoloration at the bottom of the face (dial or glass... I can't quite tell...)
    I'm inclined towards that second one, the $398 watch from Japan. It doesn't seem so precious that I would cry the first time I scratched it.
    I'm basically just curious for any info or insights you gurus might have on the question. For example... How can I learn more about this particular model? Is there anything I should know about this seller? Is the watch over-priced? Are there other online sales resources I should look to as well?
    Thanks so much for your time and expertise!
    Christian

2. Dan S Jul 18, 2018

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 18, 2018

4. CRistow Jul 19, 2018

Thank you gentlemen.
    Good reading.

As with anything, the more you know... the more there is to know. And the less you realize you actually know!

None of these various eBay watches I linked boast that they are the 1011 or 1012 caliber, and it also seems that seeing pix of the watch with the caseback removed is not necessarily something one can expect on eBay.

The first informational link (provided above by Dan S) refers so the 1001 caliber as "discredited".
    What is so wrong with it? Is it absolutely to be avoided?

Thanks a bunch,
    Christian

5. Risto Jul 19, 2018

I'm pretty sure that this Omega cannot take a real beating.
    It looks more like a dressy watch to me.
    Then again I've worn some 60 years old swiss chronographs daily and didn't care for dents and scratches. Those chronographs cost like 300€, too.
    If you can live with damages and service costs, why not.
    My daily is Speedmaster Pro now.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 19, 2018

It’s not that it’s “discredited”. More like that Omega was in terrible financial condition by the early 1970’s and the cal. 1001 series just wasn’t as robust as the earlier cal. 550 and 560 series. Corners were cut during the manufacture of the 1000 series both for cost reasons and to make the watch thinner.

If the watches were properly maintained, then they are very good.

However, it is almost impossible to determine how well a 40+ year old watch was maintained from pictures over the internet.

That $398 Japanese watch looks like it was never maintained at all. Some people like them like that, because you can have a watchmaker do all the work to your specifications. But it will be expensive, at least as much as the original cost of the watch, if not more. Don’t forget that the bracelet needs work too.

If you like the integrated bracelet look, I would think you would be better served looking for one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has the older cal. 751 movement (day/date version of 564) and will be easier to maintain over the long haul. You can usually find a few Ref. 368.0845 examples on eBay at any particular time.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Jul 19, 2018

I think a manual wind will take more blows than an automatic. The rotor is a fragile component.

GeorgeBailey2 likes this.
  8. TropicConnie Jul 20, 2018

I don't think a vintage watch should be (mis)treated the way the first post infers you treat watches. Get something like a customized Seiko 5 if you want to wear a mechanical watch doing what you do.

9. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Jul 20, 2018

Agree. I often change to the more fragile showpieces at the end of the day.

10. CRistow Jul 20, 2018

A fair point, and you may well be right.
    To some degree, I was looking for a perspective on the durability of these watches, and so I appreciate your take on it.
    I very much like the idea of one watch that I never change, so... it is possible that an old Omega is not the right solution.
    Meanwhile, I am still hunting on eBay.
    Cheers,
    Christian

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 20, 2018

If you could tell us what drew you that particular Constellation, perhaps we could recommend some possible alternatives.

felsby likes this.
  12. CRistow Jul 20, 2018

I like it because of its
    • 1970's design aesthetic (combination of straight lines and curves of various radii)
    • simplicity
    • square-ish face
    • robustness (or at least a look that seems robust)
    • all stainless-steel design

-CR

13. CRistow Jul 20, 2018

As it happens, I am also a really big fan of stainless mesh bands, such as seen on thisPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network watch.
    Actually I prefer them to the integrated "tank-tread" style seen on the Constellation featured in this thread.
    If I could find a watch with a stainless finish "rounded square" dial and a stainless mesh band, I'd be a happy camper.
    Cheers,
    Christian

14. Waltesefalcon Jul 20, 2018

If you are as hard on watches as you says I'd go for a Seiko for a beater and a Constellation for nicer occasions. Replacing a sub $100 watch regularly won't hurt nearly as ballo as replacing a $300 and up watch.

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 20, 2018

Disclaimer, I'm not specifically recommending any of these particular watches, just offering some alternatives. The caliber 1012 is an updated version of the 1001 and corrected it's original issues. That being said any watch which has been neglected can have issues. Figure into your budget about $200.00 to get your "new" watch serviced.

You would need to source the mesh bracelet yourself as none of these were offered with them, actually very few Omegas were offered with mesh bracelets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTA...31387&LH_ItemCondition=3000&rt=nc&_dcat=31387Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Om...MJbTRVJ&_sop=1&_pgn=4&_nkw=omega+geneve&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Om...m=323336947160&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

16. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 20, 2018

I would advise looking at something like a Seiko 5 watch.

Cheap, rugged, a TON of different models. You sound like you would trash a watch, NTTAWWT - just a shame to do it to vintage.

[​IMG]
    $207 on Amazon...

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  17. CRistow Jul 21, 2018

In a roundabout way, I would say that this thread has served its purpose, although perhaps not its original intended purpose.
    I've always liked Omegas because, well... they are Omegas. But this thread served to open my eyes to the Seiko 5, and maybe the idea that wearing a $400 watch in a welding shop is not so smart.
    I'm now looking on eBay at the incredible variety of vintage Seikos.
    I spent the last 6 months torturing a $15 watch in a metal fab shop.
    I think I will find a nice $60 -$70 watch and see how it does.
    Thanks for all your help, everyone.
    I will update when I buy something, although at this point it seems unlikely that it will be an Omega.
    Cheers,
    Christian

18. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 21, 2018

Christian.

Let me recommend a new Seiko 5. Most old 5's are going to need a service or a new movement. They are cheap, the style can be fabulous but the time performance, the water resistance may not be optimal.

Having said that, a repacement movement isn't all that expensive nor is a service. One of my first vintage purchases was a very funky 5. I probably got it for $25 or so.
    Seiko 5_100515 385.jpg
    I also still have this one, I replaced the movement myself as a project:
    Seiko 5 Aviator_031316 1829.jpg

19. eatabagel Jul 21, 2018

I would second this. Seiko are durable watches and many run well without a service, but eventually all watches need one. New Seiko 5s are not too expensive, if you can stretch your budget to $150 or so. If you like the 70s funky look, Seiko has the Seiko 5 Recraft line where they pay homage to some of their 1970s designs. Here's a review from ABTW.

Available for $150-$175 on Amazon.