Forums Latest Members

newbie 1st post, intro, and question about 1st purchase

1. airansun In the shuffling madness Nov 9, 2019

You are correct that yours is an 861 and mine are 321s.

I believe your dial is correct. It’s a little later than mine and, I suspect, a different diameter.

2. olerofe Nov 9, 2019

airansun, when you say 321 gold plate sell for cheap when the plate wears off, what do you mean? What is considered a cheap price of this? Just trying to get perspective on all this. Thanks

3. airansun In the shuffling madness Nov 9, 2019

In my experience, nice early 60’s stainless steel Seamaster 321s can go for about $4.5k and up. You can pick up nice gold filled versions for $3k and sometimes less.

Even mint gold filled ones with matching mint BOR bracelets have a hard time topping $4.5k; really mint stainless steel ones can top $6k without a bracelet.

The hardest thing about these watches is the dial — very hard to find them with dials as nice as yours.

I can’t really speak to 861 Seamasters because I haven’t spent much time looking at/for them. Regarding the one you’ve posted, the dial and hands are quite nice. But the case and pushers look a little tired. There’s no movement shot, which is important to valuing the watch, but a loose movement isn’t a positive sign — I’d have that taken care of immediately.

I assume it needs service; my watchmaker charges $675 to service most vintage chronographs. Good luck with that.

Get it fixed and then enjoy the hell out of it. It’s got a great face.

This is my favorite gold filled 321 Seamaster:
    F8283F17-56B1-4A66-8AFF-1E1366C4D1AC.jpeg EB6F8187-9932-48B2-8B70-5B2F8AEAFDE0.jpeg

This was $3.4k with the bracelet. Roughly, February 1968 production.

Edited Nov 9, 2019
    kkt, DaveK, Benbradstock and 2 others like this.
  4. olerofe Nov 9, 2019

Airansun, thanks for a terrific post. i would never have guessed that a ss watch would go for more than a gold. lovely examples of the model you have. there is a omega boutique at one of the malls not to far from me. im going to take it there for the service.

5. airansun In the shuffling madness Nov 9, 2019

We here don’t recommend Omega service for vintage pieces because they sometimes want to redial, rehand or otherwise refurbish a watch to the point of destroying its vintage value. They will follow some directions from the owner and they do return the removed parts.

Do not let anyone polish the watch as it will only further compromise the plating.

I’ve never brought a vintage Omega to any OB; I use a local watchmaker I’ve learned to trust.

6. olerofe Nov 9, 2019

thanks for the heads up. is there a specific term im looking to use when discussing a service with a watchmaker? i dont want to say it needs to be restored, rather some type of service. words are important - want to use the correct terminology. reminds me of the old joke where the guy tells the doctor that he want to be castrated, but after the operation he remembers that the correct word was circumcised. some actions you just cant undo...

DaveK likes this.
  7. TexOmega Nov 9, 2019

not gold, gold plate

Benbradstock, olerofe and airansun like this.
  8. airansun In the shuffling madness Nov 9, 2019

Thank you @TexOmega ! Good catch — I missed that.

Really mint solid gold 321 Seamasters are very rare. They can go for north of $7k easily.

TexOmega likes this.
  9. Claven2 Nov 9, 2019

The first question to ask the watchmaker is if they have an omega parts account. If the answer is no, then you have the wrong chap.

kkt likes this.
  10. TexOmega Nov 9, 2019

If they are good and reliable, then they have a buddy WITH an Omega parts account.

11. olerofe Nov 9, 2019

thanks, yes, gold plate, not gold. what metal is the gold plate on?

12. rob#1 Nov 9, 2019

I initially thought the dial was off because the writing touched the subdial, as did the hour markers, which isn’t the case with the 321 versions. But having researched in more detail I see that it must be the difference between 321 and 861 models’ dials. The hour markers are longer and match other examples I’ve seen; it’s a great looking watch. Have it cleaned and serviced sympathetically and enjoy it :thumbsup:

UncleBuck likes this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 9, 2019

Some use the term "sympathetic" but it is always best to spell out exactly what is required.

If using a new watchmaker that you are unfamiliar with, make sure you both understand what will be done and what's not to be done. I'd run things by the cadre of dedicated horologists here for advice if you need help (and we all can use a little help).
    It will be comforting to both of you.

Great post and interesting watches!

14. olerofe Nov 9, 2019

thanks rob#1 and uncleBuck,
    what kinds of things should i be specifically asking for as a "sympathetic service"? for example, do i want the whole thing taken apart and cleaned - hopefully it all fits back together. do i want to replace parts? i imagine gaskets need replacement (are there gaskets?). i feel that i dont want to replace the dial or hands, but what about the crystal? no polishing of the already thinning gold plating. what about push buttons and crown? i think its best to keep the original, no? your thoughts are appreciated

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 9, 2019

Full service repair of movement, leave dial and hands,
    Replace crown, pushers and crystal
    Clean case no polishing
    Take photos of inside caseback and movement

put the above note in with the watch

Because your crown and pushers have worn out and have the gold plating missing.
    these should be gold also
    B6A8B501-6F2B-4C6B-B261-886130394B76.jpeg

Changing these and crystal are not a issue

So where are you in the world as someone might recommend a good watchmaker.

kkt, felsby, rob#1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 9, 2019

Are we sure it’s gold plate? I thought I saw hallmarks between the lugs.

ahsposo likes this.
  17. Claven2 Nov 9, 2019

Yes, the 20 means 20 microns of plating.

Benbradstock likes this.
  18. olerofe Nov 10, 2019

standy, thanks - exactly what i was looking for

my location is santa clara california, if anyone can recommend a watchmaker, i would appreciate it very much

kkt and STANDY like this.
  19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 10, 2019

Hand polishing with Simichrome is acceptable. Please try to be more explicative with your ex-cathedra statements.

Tom

20. olerofe Nov 10, 2019

Vetpsychwars,
    thanks for clarifying the distinction.