Forums Latest Members

Newb Question - Should I Replace Serviced New Parts with Vintage Parts?

1. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Hi everyone,

I am a new to vintage watches. That said I have become quite familiar with the Speedy and I believe have done okay with my 145.022-71ST DN90.

What I need your experienced advice on: the watch got a service from Omega SA - and it was significant enough to remove the step dial. The dial looks quite good overall - with an issue by 11 o’clock. I’m not as concerned with the hands.
    I spoke with the seller and he wasn’t overly helpful with why Omega removed it - and stated what I already read/heard - that Omega looks at this as a repair versus a restoration - and will remove anything unless you argue to keep it (which he did not). I don’t know if the tritium is flaking or chipping for example. It doesn’t look like it.
    I have investigated restoration - and I see it is expensive. That said - since the stepped dial is super expensive - would it not equal out for overall value to my watch? I wear this watch more for sentimental value than monetary value - but having the original dial does make it more authentic (and again the dial looks good). The watch is on its way - I will have the dial looked at - it if it is found to be in good shape and can be replaced - does it make sense to do so? A brand new dial is in place now.

Thank-you for your help everyone!

EEC040B0-D76C-4791-A57A-F96C2B6F83B6.jpeg B4C0BF68-DAFE-48A5-8CE0-672D10E8E428.jpeg 4797F428-D51F-4CA6-9880-D198A1FF6DCD.jpeg 5627888B-7965-4C18-8389-7719EA258F75.jpeg 1B23E2F7-EA52-440C-A968-0C1A8A7C0C0D.jpeg
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2019

Omega will remove any component like the dial or hands if for some reason they feel it may possibly cause a problem that would result in the watch comin back under warranty. No amount of arguing with them will change that. So you need to inspect the dial when it comes in, or have a watchmaker do that for you, to determine why it was removed, and what can be done to prevent whatever issue they removed it for.

Omega will often remove these parts for very minor things, or things that can be repaired, so it certainly may be possible to put this watch back the way it was. I would also look at the hands.

Note that if you do have someone open the watch, it would void the warranty from Omega service.

Cheers, Al

vtknight likes this.
  3. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Thank-you for your response - I intend to take it to be examined once I have it.

For the second part of the question - would you replace it back - if you trusted the person to do it well - if the dial could be successfully restored/fixed - over keeping the existing new dial that is in place?

The 1971-1973 Speedys as I'm sure you know - have the step dial - and they range from 1500-3000 dollars or more plus the vintage aspect.

Or do I leave it alone?

Thanks again A!

Edited Nov 5, 2019
  4. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Please note - I recognize that no one can tell me what to do - I am just interested in the pros and cons of replacing the brand new dial for the vintage step dial - and from there I will attempt to weight the chosen outcome. Understanding that the seller did not choose to do this - gives me some pause. He seemed to believe that simply having the vintage part (dial) was enough to ensure the value of the watch is preserved?

5. Dan S Nov 5, 2019

I think you should double-check that the old dial is actually a step-dial. It's not easy to see in that photo.

vtknight likes this.
  6. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Thanks Dan. You are right, the picture is blown up. That said, I can see at the 5&6 o'clock position, the cut between the hour marker (as well as on the right side of the watch). The 145.022-71ST are all step dial to my knowledge. My serial number dates to 1972. I recognize that the dial could possibly be from another watch - so it isn't impossible I am seeing things - but I am very confident it is a step dial.

That all said - if when I receive the watch and parts I have verified it is a step dial - are there any cons besides the cost and quality of work to replace it with the vintage dial?

Thank-you for your help here!

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 5, 2019

To me, what is the sense in having a vintage watch if it does not have the most important vintage parts on it? Try and get the lume on the dial and hands stabilized, or patched and stabilized, have them reinstalled, and enjoy a nice nearly-50-year-old watch :cool:

Archer and vtknight like this.
  8. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Thanks BT - that is my thinking as well - I just wanted to reach out to the community for potential/possible caveats. The seller did tell me about the tritium issues (both for working on/handling it and the potential dust/debris that could get into/disrupt the movement) - but to your point - if that is a part of the restoration they can do - I will have it done. I believe base restoration from Omega is $1850? So it won't be cheap. I will investigate and report here with what my local Omega SA tells me (I'm in Canada).

Your feedback is much appreciated!

9. Dan S Nov 5, 2019

I wouldn't dream of having this work done by Omega, even if they were willing to do it.

asrnj77, BlackTalon and vtknight like this.
  10. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Dan - this is the feedback I need - who would have do it? Is the reason you wouldn't have Omega do it the pricing?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 5, 2019

Omega won't do anything different other than what you already have in front of you - a new dial and hands. They don't do things like stabilize lume to prevent it flaking - that's something only a good independent watchmaker who is sympathetic to vintage watches will do.

vtknight likes this.
  12. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Thank-you Al - any recommendations on said watchmaker?

13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 5, 2019

Where in the world do you live?

vtknight likes this.
  14. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Toronto, Canada BT.

15. bgrisso Nov 5, 2019

Get the old dial and hands back on. Touch up / stabilize the lume if necessary. Sell the new dial and hands, they have no place on a watch of this age, but hopefully can contribute some $$ towards the swap. Omega won't help you with any of this.

vtknight and Dan S like this.
  16. KingCrouchy Nov 5, 2019

Then @Archer is the perfect Watchmaker for you.:thumbsup:

17. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Thanks KC - I was wondering about that...I don’t know if he would do it?

18. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

That is how I feel as well. Part of me wants to start again knowing what I know now. Move the watch I have and get a complete watch - I already ordered a trapezoid 1171 bracelet in fantastic condition (mine comes with a JB Champion 1175) - so I could just move it and try again. I don’t know.

19. Dan S Nov 5, 2019

Don't overthink it, it's really not a big deal to swap the dial and hands. Just take it to a watchmaker and have him do it. Bezel too, I guess. Then live with it for a while and see if you like it.

vtknight likes this.
  20. vtknight Nov 5, 2019

Thanks Dan...the bezel is interesting. I don’t know what the bezel markings are on it now (or where they came from) - but it is accurate for the time period. Dot near 90 and dot beside 70. If it were a 1990+ it would have the e thingy in the tachymetre and the dot under 70 to my understanding (and I know it isn’t a dot over 90 - nor is it supposed to be)...So I don’t know if i will touch that. I am asking the seller what he knows about it. I don’t know that the actual bezel is recoverable. It looks pretty rough.

Thoughts?

Edited Nov 5, 2019