Forums Latest Members
  1. duc Mar 7, 2021

I wonder if anyone else has had this happen.

I sold and shipped a watch last week (Saturday), which was out for delivery in record time (Wednesday). No one was home at the buyers house, so a notice was left. The buyer picked up the watch the next day but the PO did not update the Tracking process to indicate "Delivered". Note, it was shipped Priority with $3K insurance.

I hadn't heard from him by Friday, so I sent him a quick email to make sure he knew it was available for pickup. That's when he informed me he had already retrieved it. So I got perplexed (A) - Why wouldn't someone making a 3k watch purchase close the loop with the seller upon receipt? And (B) Why hasn't the PO indicated it is Delivered?

Since my history with Paypal sales is thin, they put a hold on funds in my account from purchases, until either the shipper indicates "Delivered" in their system; or for 21 days (as long as there are no complaints from the buyer). This is a policy, so not much to say about it at this time. Plus, buyer protection is important (IMO).

So I started a file with USPS yesterday. Surprisingly, I received a call yesterday and had a conversation with the lady who, upon hearing my side, said she would clear the matter up and close out the file. Today I got a followup email asking how my case was handled, and if I was satisfied. I'm longing to say yes, but alas, Tracking has still not been updated.

Anyhow, by the 18th (if my memory serves), PP will release the funds, so it will end well. Just when the USPS does something impressive (lightning fast delivery) they pull the rug out from under a good experience (can't manage to update the system).

An unscrupulous person might wait out PP, collect funds and file a claim with the USPS for insurance (assuming they never update the system). How could they prove it was delivered?.

I'll just be happy when PP releases my funds...

This is the item sold. I love it, but unfortunately the hands blend in with the dial too much for me to clearly see the time without my reading glasses on.

2.jpg

2. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Mar 7, 2021

I had a similar situation recently. I bought an watch band from a seller on ebay ($20 item). Well, I never received the item. USPS tracking showed that item reached the local postal office and was out for delivery but not actually delivered. After more than a week I wrote the seller that I never received the item. He proposed to wait another week, which we did. In the meantime I went to the post office to inquire. They said they couldn't find the package. I wrote the seller again that it had been several weeks since the "out for delivery" and requested a refund. He proposed again to wait. By that time it was clear that USPS lost the package and the seller was simply stalling the inevitable. I opened a case with Paypal to get a refund (which I received) but the seller went absolutely ballistic. Name calling (thief, liar, you name it). It just went on, and on. and on. I was always polite but I think he actually enjoyed being a total jerk.

kkt likes this.
  3. duc Mar 7, 2021

Small items seem to be a crap shoot for the seller. At least in my case the watch is insured. Plus, since he received it, pp will ultimately release the funds. If he wanted to create mischief, I suppose he could claim to PP he never received it and demand a refund, which would complicate things on my end (and probably his before it ended). However, based on my assessment of his character based on our communications, he wouldn't do that.

4. duc Mar 7, 2021

Yes it is a modern model. Like I said, I love it, I just can't enjoy it when I wear it as most of the time I don't have my reading glasses on. All my other watches are legible, at least to tell time, without my glasses. I hated to let it go, but it's better with someone who will wear it. I let it go for about what I paid, so no foul there either.

https://www.calibre11.com/review-tag-heuer-autavia-cbe2110/

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 7, 2021

Time to force that dipshit out. Hope it gets done.

kkt, Scarecrow Boat and CajunTiger like this.
  6. plibou Mar 7, 2021

I ship to US and use french post so usps at the end ...

it s always a lottery ... delivery time and sometime fanciful signing ...

7. Walrus Mar 7, 2021

I bought a watch from a member here not long ago. It was being delivered right around this weird time we were having two snow storms a week. The town plow guy has a habit of hitting my mailbox so I usually end up repairing it a few times a year. Anyway I know the seller requested signature. I was hoping they wouldn’t leave it in my damaged mailbox as I know they are not doing the signature thing due to covid. Precovid they would leave me a note and I would just pick it up at the PO. Nope they left it in my mailbox. It all ended fine although they said delivered a day before it was delivered which freaked me out a bit. The PO has had issues brewing for a decade and now with covid what the hec hasn’t been messed up. I won’t blame one dude because my package was messed up and I will hope things get better soon.

8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 7, 2021

May be, but at least you could count on Priority Mail arriving in 2-3 days. The day DeJoy took over that ended and it gets worse every day. He has destroyed the USPS.

9. glownyc Mar 7, 2021

Many of those previous issues are tied to the crazy 2006 requirement that a republican congress and president imposed on the USPS to prefund 75yrs of retirement health benefits. To say that business has "evaporated" is silly. Decreasing in areas yes, but first class mail volume is more than 50 billion per year and obviously the volume of packages is increasing. Got an issue with 6 day mail delivery, take it up with your representatives. This again is a requirement set by congress. Sunday delivery is nothing new. priority mail express has long been delivered 7 days a week. They've just now expanded to delivering amazon packages as well. Must be all that evaporating business. Do you have an proof that person who delivered your package was earning overtime? I would be willing to wager that they were one of the many many part time employees that USPS has been adding so they can have them work long shifts without paying overtime and benefits.

Unfamiliar_Moon likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 7, 2021

Don't start me on La Poste!

Only ever used them twice.

First time I posted a small package in Paris, addressed to a town in Austria (about 1000k's away).
    Package went AWOL for weeks and weeks, but eventually arrived after having made it to BRISBANE AUSTRALIA and back.
    I now address things to Österreich instead of Austria.

Second time I posted a similar package in Avignon, bound for Zagreb. It vanished, never to be seen again.

So in my experience, La Poste performance has been somewhat less than stellar.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 7, 2021

Nothing wrong with a holiday in Brisbane mate, its a beautiful place :thumbsup:

12. Pvt-Public Mar 8, 2021

Nothing new at all. The USPS has been circling the crapper since the 60’s. My Uncle retired from there in the mid 70’s, and a friend of mine just retired last Sept. they both had just about the same stories. The only difference were the names.

13. CameronD Mar 8, 2021

I am torn between supporting the post office (one of my photographs is part of a post office series on aerial views) and just wanting to pay my bills on time. I have switched all my bill paying to email delivery and paying online.

The USPS is in such a quandary between having to prepay retirement benefits into a fund and having Lovejoy destroy it from within. That requirement takes a lot of money away from their ability to convert over to more efficient vehicles and systems.

On January 23rd, I received a Christmas Card from my sister in the upper Midwest. She mailed it December 9th. In early February, I received credit card bills that arrived two weeks after they were due. (fortunately, I had already switched to also receiving notification of bills via email.)

I will not use the Post Office for shipping anything of value. I recently sold a watch via Chrono24 and it was shipped to the buyer via FedEx.

14. MtnMarine Mar 8, 2021

The last time I tried to ship FedEx they wouldn’t insure over 1000$. Maybe a little higher but it definitely didn’t cover the cost of the watch. I was forced to use USPS.

15. MRC Mar 8, 2021

[QUOTE="JimInOz, post: 1738667, member: 1543First time I posted a small package in Paris, addressed to a town in Austria (about 1000k's away).
    Package went AWOL for weeks and weeks, but eventually arrived after having made it to BRISBANE AUSTRALIA and back.
    I now address things to Österreich instead of Austria.
    [/QUOTE]

I send regular packages to France and have learned that La Poste do not understand the British way to write by hand the digit "1" so now I print all labels. Their own label printers won't replicate what handwriting looks like in France so they are used to that. The second is that it's better to put the name of the country to which you are sending (and on return labels) in the normal usage of the country from which it will (then) originate. So for you the destination country could have been better as "Autriche".

For return labels on the stuff I send I vary between "Grande Bretagne" and "Royame Uni". Have considered "Perfidious Albion" but never used it. Might be quite popular in 2021 :rolleyes:

JimInOz likes this.