Forums Latest Members
  1. rudiboy Apr 30, 2017

Hi
    My granddad recently passed away and I have inherited his watch.
    Its a bit tired, and from what I can see has been repaired by a guy in the market ( my gran confirmed this) and a few parts have been changed for non genuine.

I would like to know the model first off
    I have included some pictures. It is stamped with gold marks so assume its gold.
    the back of the watch has 286 on it which I assume is the mechanism ( 17 jewels)

[​IMG]

P4300383.JPG P4300385.JPG P4300386.JPG P4300388.JPG
    After I have got the model and the date. I will ask the forum to help me source parts to get this back to its original glory. ( where possible)

thanks

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 30, 2017

There is no model name for an Omega like this. "Made in England" tells me where it was originally sold.

Pictures are not clear enough to see the serial number or the date hallmark.

My guess is late 1950's.
    gatorcpa

3. michael22 Apr 30, 2017

I is gold: .375 = 9carat.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 30, 2017

There should be a 3 digit number on the movement. That is the movement number. The longer number is the serial number which can tell you about when it was made.

I believe this is a Denison case, gold watches due to import laws in some years had the case made in the country where it was sold. Hence it does not have an Omega name/model.

Pretty watch. Any Decent watchmaker should be able to service it. Sorry for your loss.

5. michael22 Apr 30, 2017

6. Sherbie Apr 30, 2017

Its hard to make out for sure, but the anchor means assayed in birmingham, and the date letter seems to be an "O" -'which means 1963

7. Sherbie Apr 30, 2017

8. Sherbie Apr 30, 2017

Sorry about that - ipad issues! The serial number looks like 16 million, so thats 1958ish -'so the could make sense, and the movement sat around for a few years before it was cased.

9. oilseed May 1, 2017

10. rudiboy May 1, 2017

Thanks guys, looks to be some knowledgeable people on here. Im assuming that most of you are not in the UK or that you never sleep :)

Some good info. Im at work currently but will get the number off the mechanism when im at home but it does look like a 16million.

someone mentioned that it might be tresor from the 1950.

I have found a similar watch on ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPLETEL...HWyE4ikNBMVt5iAOynNa4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    but this is 18K and has a different mechanism number and Swiss stamping.

I have found a company called Swiss time services here in the UK that look very reputable. So will send away to them for a clean and service. My Grandad was heavy smoker and the face has yellowed, so hopefully they can sort that

I would like to try and find an original winder and an original buckle before sending it away though. preferably a 9kt gold one, but I expect this will be a little expensive. He left a little money also so that will help pay for everything. Any tips on where I could find these. Ebay seems to be a dangerous place to the untrained eye. Loads of fakes.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 1, 2017

So was cal. 266, which is likely what it is.

Regarding the dial, you need to be very careful about having anyone clean it. What you are seeing is the natural yellowing of the lacquer. Nicotine smoke can sometimes make this worse over a long period of time.

This is a "linen" style dial. As such, there's probably more surface area to clean, because of the dial texture. Then if any of the printing comes off, the dial will need to be totally refinished and that texture may be lost forever.

I would leave the yellowing alone. Too much risk in removing it, IMO.
    gatorcpa

12. oilseed May 1, 2017

Since the 'flash' on your camera reflects exactly where the Omega Calibre mark/engraving would be, it's had to see it.
    I took your pic and circled where that is. anything marked there?

omegacal.jpg

'Gatorcpa': I'm not sure what the differences are between cal 261, 266 and 267. all are 17 jewel, antimagnetic with sub sec dial.
    if you know what those differences are, please share. :)

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 1, 2017

Here you go:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?11&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_266

There are minimal differences, but Omega thought enough of them to give separate caliber numbers.
    gatorcpa

14. François Pépin May 1, 2017

Nice watch to remember your grand father!

As far as I can tell from your pic, it is a ring balance (without screws), so it should be a 268 (if there is a Breguet hairspring, which I cannot tell from the pic given) or a 269 (flat hairspring).

It is not a Tresor. Tresor watches are 18k and were fully Swiss made - including the case - as other Omega models or collections.

As it is an English cased Omega, there should not be any reference number for that watch - usually written on the case back. So you will not be able to order Omega parts such as crowns and glasss. And it will be hard to find case parts similar to the ones the watch came with when first sold. So I suggest you only have this nice watch serviced.

15. rudiboy May 1, 2017

Thanks all. Great support here. Sound advice about the dial Gator CPA.

The number where its circled is 268, so I'm assuming that this is the mechanism number. As Francois noted.

Its got made in the UK written all over it. serial number is 18671127 on the mechanism.

It has some numbers on the back also.1215400.

I think when they came out they had an omega crown where I think this is a replacement. Can any one confirm?

thanks

16. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 1, 2017