Forums Latest Members

New to Omega, can't spot a redial/fake yet. Should I buy it?

1. carlosecpf Sep 6, 2017

Hey guys,

I got recently hooked to Vintage Omega watches. I saw a friend of mine using one and fell in love with the whole concept (and looks) of vintage watches in general, but with Omega specifically.
    I am starting to feel the urge of starting a collection and have spotted a vintage Omega model that I liked the look a lot. The model is 131.018 cal. 601. The only online photo of a legit copy I found o line is here: https://www.timeline.watch/watch/1964-omega-ref-131-018/

The one that I want to purchase is the photos attached. The seller swears that everything is original, but the crystal, which was recently replaced by an acrylic one.
    The movement seems legit, but I am not sure about the dial. I specifically asked if it was redialed, but again the seller guaranteed it was 100% original. I am not so sure, even though I am a newbe. I read online that legit vintage omega watches do not have "T Swiss MadeT" on the bottom part of the dial. Additionally the Omega symbol on the rear metal back is located inside a triangle, a no-go from what I have read. Nonetheless and I am not sure if there are exceptions to the rules or not or if I got those rules all wrong. Additionally, there are some small differences from the reference model in the link above (white dial). Hence, I am here hoping to get any feedback from more experienced Omega owners.
    Is it a redialed watch or a fake one?
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

D-MLB907692239.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 6, 2017

It's quite possible that it's a genuine untouched Omega 131.018.

It's also quite possible that it's a redial, but from those pictures I have no idea.

lando, Foo2rama and carlosecpf like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 6, 2017

Black dials are the colour most favoured for sellers of redialed, over polished and overpriced vintage Omega,s. Always be sceptical of black dialled vintage Omega,s

As Jim above said those pictures give us nothing.

carlosecpf likes this.
  4. carlosecpf Sep 6, 2017

Hi Guys,

Thank you for chiming in. I got slightly better photos now that might help. Please let me know your thoughts if you can.

7.JPG 6.JPG 5.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 1.JPG 4.JPG
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 6, 2017

Still no clear picture direct on to the face.

But from what I can see I think the dial is original.

However, the case has been heavily polished and lost any sign of the sharpness that should show.
    The movement also looks a bit tired and has corrosion (movement tab, top left).

Compare it to this to see what the case/movement can be like for a good watch.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/exc...ess-steel-full-arabic-dial-ref-135-011.63236/

PS: Regarding T - SWISS MADE - T, may legitimate vintage Omegas have this marking which denotes that Tritium has been used as an illuminant on the hands and hour markers (thus two Ts).

The Omega symbol inside the Triangle is also quite normal.

carlosecpf likes this.
  6. carlosecpf Sep 6, 2017

Great point on the lack of sharpness of the case. Did not noticed it. Thank you!
    And thanks for pointing out that the Omega symbol and and TSwiss madeT are normal. I have obsessively analized 30 or so vintage omega watches online and a meaningful number have either or both markings present.

Edited Sep 6, 2017
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 6, 2017

Spruce and carlosecpf like this.
  8. carlosecpf Sep 6, 2017

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 7, 2017

Neat watch depends on the price...

I'd be willing to overlook the polishing depending on price.

carlosecpf likes this.
  10. Davidt Sep 7, 2017

Dial looks original but the case would stop me buying it. However, if the price is reasonable and you really want this style of dial, they aren't as common as some other watches from the period do it wouldn't be a terrible buy. Personally, I'd wait for a better example.

carlosecpf likes this.
  11. carlosecpf Sep 7, 2017

The price is U$330 after some negotiation.
    I could not find anything like this dial available for sale, let alone at this price.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. ConElPueblo Sep 7, 2017

That's a pretty damn decent price for a genuine black dial Omega. I would have jumped on it...

13. carlosecpf Sep 7, 2017

Exactly. I think I will pull the trigger on this :)

14. carlosecpf Sep 7, 2017

Just did it. Thank you all so much. Really invaluable input and support.

15. BenBagbag Sep 7, 2017

Share pictures!!!!

carlosecpf likes this.
  16. carlosecpf Sep 7, 2017

Definitely! I will share pictures once the watch arrives

17. VintageIsLife Sep 8, 2017

About the T swiss made T. It is my understanding that the t stands for tritium, which is used in the lume of the watch. So if a watch has lume it should have the t's but if it doesn't there should be no t's. Im also keen to see the pictures! :)

carlosecpf likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 8, 2017

Wow, $330 isn't bad for what it is (the dial). Make sure you get it serviced when you get it.

Unless the lume was Radium, or is Luminova, or Super Luminova ;).

And even more to confuse things, some Tritium lumed watches never had "Ts".

And there are also some dials with "T - SWISS MADE - T" that have NO lume on the hands or dial. Watch out for those :cautious:.

carlosecpf and ConElPueblo like this.
  19. ConElPueblo Sep 8, 2017

The ones prior to the regulation, for sure.

I would love to know what the agent in the 70's watches without "Ts" on the dials was. They have different aging colour-wise than tritium-lumed dials and tend to crumble more readily.

carlosecpf likes this.
  20. carlosecpf Sep 8, 2017

Thanks for your input. What kind of servicing you believe this watch needs? The seller told me the watch is functioning perfectly. Because I am new in this vintage watch world, I have no clue on what repairs this watch might need. Thanks in advance.