Forums Latest Members

New Seiko received (JDM) with questions

1. watchfisher May 7, 2021

Yes, I know. The question about authenticity has popped up again in a Seiko forum. My apologies.

I received a JDM Seiko from one of a few respected sellers. The watch is a limited edition diver. The JDM model is a different model number than North America, though I believe the total number produced (in this case 2500) is global production.

The watch papers, hang tags, UPC code all line up. The case, crystal, appear excellent, hands appear crisp, as do the numerals in the date window, movement number is clear and present in the 6:00 position on the dial. Movement hand winds smoothly. I have not removed the caseback, as I don't have a tool to do so.

The question, which causes my suspicion is that this is serial number 0001 out of 2500. This serial was shown on the Hodinkee review, Monochrome, as well as the press photography of the watch. The piece I currently have has a protective blue dot on the caseback, and is lined up at the 8:00 position in rear view. Press photos, etc have shown 0001 to be aligned at 4:00. The polishing of the watch, bezel, overall finish seems on par with modern Seikos.

Two questions arise- should I be skeptical about the watch or its authenticity? Could this be a press / marketing watch that was distributed and then returned? Why would there now be a blue dot on the caseback? Is there any way to verify any of this history or questions? (Sorry, that's more than two questions)

I am reasonably new to Seikos, though I have some history with the 6105, as my father wore one extensively in the 70s and 80s, being a hobbyist diver. I can of course post images later.

Edited May 7, 2021
  2. Walrus May 7, 2021

Ya images would be interesting. I ran across an article about China making limited seikos with seiko movements. In some instances they do change the name on the dial but that is a different topic. Do a little research of how common fakes of that particular reference you have are. Hopefully through some “simple twist of fate” you just happened to end up with #1 that hodinkee or whomever had but it seems a bit strange.

watchfisher likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 7, 2021

Casebacks do not always line up the same way in production watches. They have different threading and sometimes gaskets can limit the screw down.

4. Dan S May 7, 2021

I don't see how anyone could possibly give an opinion about authenticity with no photos and worthless information. We don't even know what watch you're talking about. Maybe your watch is a total fake. Maybe it's totally legit. Maybe the watch in the Hodinkee review was a dummy, provided for a photo session. Who knows?

Help people to help you. Try. Post photos from every angle including the movement. Clear, in-focus photos in good lighting. Macro photos. Name the seller. Show the Hodinkee photos.

Edited May 7, 2021
  5. watchfisher May 7, 2021

You’re not wrong in your post, I was soliciting any general observations about visually identifying fakes. I did have to step away for a minor emergency which is why there weren’t pics posted earlier.

Regardless. The watch is an SBDX031, the JDM model number for the SLA033. From some recommendations, it was purchased through Ippo, who in turn needed to acquire it from the manufacturer. Messages and questions to Ippo led me to believe they were / are a Seiko dealer and they were getting ‘new stock’ from Seiko. Though Seiko at times was used interchangeably with ‘the manufacturer’.

Here are some images which indicate the watch, as well as the Hodinkee and Monochrome pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/s...s-re-creation-limited-edition-sla033-hands-on

Hodinkee review image:

[​IMG]

And the back from the same review:

[​IMG]

https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-1970-divers-re-creation-sla033-review-price/#image-gallery-8

And the Monochrome review images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited May 7, 2021
  6. watchfisher May 7, 2021

Reviewing images, it does appear the Hodinkee case has a sharper contour above the crown compared to the Monochrome or watch I received. Weird.

7. CPRwatch May 8, 2021

I would say your watch is genuine . The watch used on the hodinkee review is probably a dummy watch as the time is exactly the same on each of their pictures used in the review.Manufacturers do send out dummy watches to their ADs also at times to display .And if you check the Monochrome review the time & date is exactly the same as the Hodinkee review . Enjoy your watch :thumbsup:

8. watchfisher May 8, 2021

Thanks. Good eye on the time shown (as well as date) on the Hodinkee and Monochrome watch images. I’m unfamiliar with how watch companies send a sample or ‘dummy watch’ for reviews. Would these possibly be a sample for photos only?

Speaking with a Seiko enthusiast, it sounds like early watches and prototypes wouldn’t likely have a matching outer box.

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 8, 2021

nope as they are often sent out months ahead of time and packaging is not always finalized.

10. watchfisher May 10, 2021

Since I haven’t yet opened the caseback, now I’m beginning to wonder if a fake movement could have been used in the ‘dummy watch’ shell.

To quell those thoughts, would there be any giveaways to spot (or feel) a fake movement? Would they exist for the 8L35?

I suppose at this point I should either invest in a proper caseback tool or bring it to a careful watchmaker!

Jonathan40 likes this.
  11. georgeszaslavsky May 15, 2021

I have never ever heard of a faked or franken 8L35 movement. But go to a Seiko center if you are worried about the authenticity of your watch