Forums Latest Members
  1. Keefef6315 May 13, 2020

I just purchased a 1957 Seamaster and the actual watch was a lot more weathered than the pictures. The patina on the dial is far more pronounced and there is a black spot between 10 and 11 that I didn't see in any of the pictures.

I'm torn on whether to keep it because i still love the model but it wasn't what I expected.

While I know it's a personal choice, does anyone have an opinion on the quality of this watch and if my concerns are valid?

Image-1.jpg

2. tikkathree May 13, 2020

And if the photo on the right is from the advert and is typical of the other photos in the advert I think you'd be quite within your rights to feel that you have been mislead. Heck they may have sent you the wrong watch, such is the level of "cosmetic filtering" which could have been designed to lure someone in.
    Unless the written description matches the condition of the dial, send it back, lodge a claim but first ask yourself this: had you seen it in a real shop window would you have bought it or not?

ERBM and Benbradstock like this.
  3. Thommas May 13, 2020

Doctored, low resolution pictures. Blatantly dishonest seller by all means, who is assuming you'll want to keep the watch because it's still quite nice— but schemingly modified the photos to make it look even better and expedite his sale. I would 100% call him out and ask for a partial refund. Or just put his name out there for others to be aware.

4. Keefef6315 May 13, 2020

I think you make a really good point. I'm not sure that I would have purchased it or at least paid the amount that I did had I seen it in a store window. It's a tough position to be in.

Benbradstock and Thommas like this.
  5. joe band May 13, 2020

looking at it going forward, are you going to enjoy it... or feel scammed?

Benbradstock likes this.
  6. Keefef6315 May 13, 2020

That is the problem. It IS a nice watch...just not what I was expecting. I purchased it from Omega Enthusiast. I reviewed comments on this forum about him and while most people said he was a little overpriced, all of his watches were authentic and well serviced. As a novice, I was willing to pay a little bit extra to be sure I wasn't receiving a fake or a redial.

Benbradstock and Thommas like this.
  7. ConElPueblo May 13, 2020

Send him a message and explain your case. I think he'll offer you a refund or something similar.

Benbradstock, PhilZeBeast and DaveK like this.
  8. Keefef6315 May 13, 2020

I did just that. I'm sure he's a reasonable guy and I'm not looking to tarnish his reputation.

Benbradstock and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. ConElPueblo May 13, 2020

Having looked at the photos on his site, I'd say that the black spot is something that has dislodged during shipping/handling. The spotting on the dial is damn near invisible in his photos. You'd have to know what to look out for in order to spot the issue.

10. Austind May 13, 2020

If it were me, every time I looked at it I would only see the damage, it would give no pleasure.

11. Keefef6315 May 13, 2020

That was my thought too. It's too visible for it to have just been "good lighting" - I think it might just be something that dislodged, although it's not moving around within the case. I guess I'd have to get it looked at to see if it can be removed. I wouldn't trust myself to open it up.

Again, the spotting I can probably swallow but i sure would have been nice to know.

12. JwRosenthal May 13, 2020

Many of these dial surfaces look different at different angles so it’s possible his photos weren’t intentionally deceptive. That said, I wouldn’t think these were the same watch looking at that side-by-side photo except the 12 lume pip is the same shape. The one in the advert shows a clean cool toned silver dial and yours is warm toned patina with surface damage. I wouldn’t be happy at all and would just send it back for a full refund.

apsm100 and DaveK like this.
  13. ConElPueblo May 13, 2020

Out of six photos on his site the spotting is only visible on one and only just visible.

Keefef6315 likes this.
  14. Keefef6315 May 13, 2020

This is an anniversary gift...luckily the anniversary is still 2 months away. Good thing I gave myself time to figure this all out instead of waiting till the last minute.

15. JwRosenthal May 13, 2020

Yeah, and with the difference in color temperature- there may have been some creative license taken in photoshop or with shooting from very specific angles. Something like you showed should be evident and disclosed by any experienced collector/seller.

Keefef6315 and ConElPueblo like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 13, 2020

What was the price ?

17. Keefef6315 May 13, 2020

I was able to get it for $1,500

18. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 13, 2020

This thread is a great reminder of what to look for.

Keefef6315 likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 13, 2020

All gold or gold cap ?

20. Keefef6315 May 13, 2020