New Planet Ocean 8500 has dust particle under crystal. What are my options?

Good luck!! What's the timeline like?

Thanks! They said 24-48 hours...hoping for tomorrow though. Part of me is nervous about what kind of job they'll do though.

One thing at a time. My experience with them is good

Watch is complete. I'll go pick it up tomorrow. They said they water tested it, pressure tested it and did a time test for accuracy and it passed all of the,. I'll report back tomorrow once I get it

My AT had a dust particle as well. It must have shifted around bc when I bought it I didn't notice it. I saw it one day and took it to my AD. They sent it to Omega and over a month later it came back....with the spec still there...my AD sent it back and I spoke to the Omega service center. They apologized and expedited the service and I got it back in a week...spec free. Got two Omega travel cases out of the deal at least :/

Here's a few pics. It's next to the date window. Also attached are two recent pics sans spec.

My AT had a dust particle as well. It must have shifted around bc when I bought it I didn't notice it. I saw it one day and took it to my AD. They sent it to Omega and over a month later it came back....with the spec still there...my AD sent it back and I spoke to the Omega service center. They apologized and expedited the service and I got it back in a week...spec free. Got two Omega travel cases out of the deal at least :/

Here's a few pics. It's next to the date window. Also attached are two recent pics sans spec.

Thanks for sharing! Which service center did yours get sent to?
Have you noticed that the watch runs and performs exactly the same as before they opened it up? Time keeping accuracy still the same?

Thanks for sharing! Which service center did yours get sent to?
Have you noticed that the watch runs and performs exactly the same as before they opened it up? Time keeping accuracy still the same?

New Jersey and it runs great. It runs almost dead on when worn or left face up, but runs fast on the winder.

Interesting timing. I also found this morning a little speck of dust and almost the same spot as you, between 10 and 11. Had this piece for a couple of months now but didn't notice this before (the dust particle shifted around inside?) bought mine at an OB. Emailing my rep about this. image.jpeg
So I took mine to the OB. We looked at under a loupe and OB is saying this is not a piece of debris but appears to be a scratch to the AR coating within the crystal. I personally can't tell for sure but I am somewhat convinced OB is likely right. I just find it strange that the "scratch" is not on the surface but appears to be within the crystal. For those more knowledgeable here, does that sound right or reasonable?

Well, the AR is a coating applied to the inner, and sometimes outer, surfaces of the crystal. There is no AR coating "within" the crystal, so it has to be a surface defect if it is the coating.

Well, the AR is a coating applied to the inner, and sometimes outer, surfaces of the crystal. There is no AR coating "within" the crystal, so it has to be a surface defect if it is the coating.
Surface "defect" meaning should get repaired under warranty or surface damage likely caused by use? Frankly I can't tell if this is within or inside surface of the crystal (pretty certain not on the outer surface).

Until you know what it really is, there's no way to say who is going to pay to fix it...

Got the watch back this morning. It looks great. They did all the tests (pressure test, dive test, time accuracy test) and it passed all of them. The issue is I'm noticing the watch is running a bit faster than before when the watch was opened. Previously it would run +1 sec per day. Now it's already 2 seconds fast after 7 hours. I know the movement was removed but it was probably removed in 1 piece and not disassembled, so I'm not sure why there's a time keeping discrepancy now

Likely nothing has changed. Keep in mind that the positional variation across 5 positions can be as much as 12 seconds per day, so just having it in different positions for different amounts of time can change the timing. Also please stop measuring it over such short time periods...

Hi @rahul718
Hi @EatMan
Hi Guys

I always thought someday i'l share it with you guys when somebody else brings up the issue.My brother has a couple of Divers tool watches & one of his favourite was the Sinn U1, pronounced 'Zinn' in German

The Sinn U1 has a double side Anti Reflective Coating on the inner & outer surface of the Sapphire Crystal.This dual coat usually cuts the reflection by 50% but glare is still about 5% ( except special double face AR coating of Breitling watches which offers a pretty impressive glare <1% ) He has...well..had an Avenger Seawolf II but i flipped it ! Ooppss [emoji14] )
Can you see the multiple inner coat scratches?) 0eb9ceab71263e32d750e308a18331bf.jpg 7650ad7f9e9af2af128843a6ee73553f.jpg The AR oxide material deposited on the sapphire crystal do not offer the same scratch resistance compared to a naked crystal. And the scratch resistance is somewhere between a glass & a sapphire.
I did question my brother why cant he just send it back the AD for a recoating of the crystal. Apparently the AD told him the SinnU1 was not under warranty & the costly repair is going to run into a few thousand Malaysian Ringgit. Like Huh ?[emoji15] ( US1= RM 4 ).So my brother told the AD F#☆$ You , F#☆$ the Crystal ! F#☆$ the Watch !!! Well..something like that anyway....
i guess you can really say the Sinn U1 has character now & remains as it is. I fondly refer to it as Scarface [emoji1] 509a69fd267fadb0fa23cea5dfddc82f.jpg [/USER]
Thanks! Great info! 👍

Got the watch back this morning. It looks great. They did all the tests (pressure test, dive test, time accuracy test) and it passed all of them. The issue is I'm noticing the watch is running a bit faster than before when the watch was opened. Previously it would run +1 sec per day. Now it's already 2 seconds fast after 7 hours. I know the movement was removed but it was probably removed in 1 piece and not disassembled, so I'm not sure why there's a time keeping discrepancy now
don't be too obsessive...your watch is fine, it's time slowing down around you because you keep staring at your watch.

don't be too obsessive...your watch is fine, it's time slowing down around you.

He must be approaching the speed of light...or a black hole...

You're going to drive yourself crazy with this. It's fine, just enjoy your watch. It's all good! 😀

I think some of the attitudes and comments on here are in poor taste. A problem was discovered and Omega offered to make it right. Being kind and persistent will get you farther than making demands.

If you want a simple answer to how this happens I think we can ask the same question of people who inspect the watch before buying it and don't notice the flaw. Maybe when the watch was inspected the particle was stuck on the side of the applied marker, or was hugging the side of the case. No matter how it happened Omega stood by their product and offered to solve the problem.

I bought this new from my authorized dealer about a week ago and just yesterday I noticed a small piece of dust under the crystal. Before you ask, no, it's not a scratch on the outside. I'm a little upset and I emailed my AD and am awaiting a reply. In the meantime, here are two pictures. The first is an up close (between and below positions 10 and 11) and the second is from a few feet away where it's not noticeable. The close up makes it seem much worse than it really is.

Am I making a big deal about this? Why didn't Omega quality control catch this? If my AD offers to send it back for service, I'm not sure how I would feel about a new watch being opened so soon after purchase and the possibility of more dust particles entering. Aside from losing the red dot, is there any harm in having Omega repair rather than replace? Or should I just live with it? If I choose to let it be, is there any chance of this dust spec to enter the movement?

Thanks

I dunno that would drive me absolutely nuts.... I am very OCD as well though. If you can live with it leave it alone.