Forums Latest Members

New Omega Speedmaster CoAxial - quality issues and observations

1. watchfisher Aug 19, 2019

I've been surfing this site for a number of years, wanting to jump into the Speedmaster enthusiast pool. Casually browsing other sites like WUS and TZ, I (finally) jumped in here. I'm not a stranger to other brands, having had numerous Sinn, Nomos and Heuer watches.

I decided to sell some very prized acquisitions, as well as lobby with the wife to purchase a new Speedmaster CoAxial on bracelet. I had good experience with one of the sponsors of this site (name withheld for courtesy), since they'd helped locate a Seamaster for my wife years ago.

This watch, as I was told, was new, unworn, and fresh out of the vault from Omega. I asked for it to be sized, and ensure the crystal be covered for shipping with a simple cling film disc.

I received the watch, which was impressively boxed and packed. The watch was in the Omega plastic container (not the presentation box), and certainly not sized as I was unable to secure the clasp. Upon casual inspection, I noticed considerable dust on the dial, mostly at the 1:00 marker, but also at 12:00, 6:00, and errant dust at 9:00 and 4:30, all near the edge of the dial.

The pics below show the dust, and the dealer is in contact to either repair or replace the watch, which has been set aside and unused since that initial inspection. Yesterday as I was examining the watch for return shipping, I noticed a slight mark on the crystal from the 11:00 marker to the right edge of the left subdial.

I keep asking myself what, exactly, did I purchase? And how is this piece representative of the money I'd sent the AD? Any advice, observations, or recommendations would be helpful.

I was looking to purchase two additional Omegas, but now am having second thoughts - as I am unsure the quality of other Omegas, or the quality I could expect from any Omega service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gbesq Aug 19, 2019

I am having difficulty seeing anything of significance in your photos, but I would venture to guess that the problem is not Omega, but your AD. I’ve purchased three new Omegas over the past several years from a well known grey market seller. All arrived promptly and securely packaged in pristine condition with tags and protective film still attached, including all Omega boxes, manuals, etc. except the manufacturer’s warranty card. All have performed flawlessly. I also had my 43 year old Speedmaster Professional serviced last year through the NYC OB and the NJ service center. They followed my instructions to the letter and did a beautiful job. Nothing wrong with Omega QC or factory service in my opinion.

Edited Aug 19, 2019
  3. Stufflers Mom Aug 19, 2019

If you can, send it back and ask for a refund, either that or stop looking at your watches under a loupe.

4. watchfisher Aug 19, 2019

This is reassuring. I can message you the AD, but you'd also see their advertisements at the top of the forum page.

As this watch may be discontinued, what would you recommend for replacement / repair? The case appears pristine, though the dial and crystal are the issue. Also, if you have any recommendations for other reputable dealers, I'd appreciate your input. I thought I was dealing with a professional when I ordered this piece.

5. watchfisher Aug 19, 2019

The dust at the 1:00 marker is visible with a naked eye. I also see some Omega models are sold with a loupe.

6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 19, 2019

Dust on the dial like that is really weird, and very un-Omega like. This is an aberration that Omega would be very embarrassed about.

Foo2rama and watchfisher like this.
  7. gbesq Aug 19, 2019

I would either ask the AD to replace the watch with another one with the Omega tags attached and protective film intact AND in the display box (which should itself be enclosed in the white cardboard Omega box and then enclosed again in the brown cardboard Omega box) OR ask for a full refund and buy the same watch from another dealer. If the watch is in anything other than brand new, unworn condition, Omega will make it right and so should the AD. It strikes me as odd that the watch was not shipped in the traditional wooden display box. That would be a major red flag for me.

Martin_J_N and watchfisher like this.
  8. watchfisher Aug 19, 2019

The watch was shipped in the (large) wooden display case, but the watch itself was enclosed in the smaller plastic packaging (a fold-out item which has the warranty cards inside. It’s clear plastic but fairly rigid). That was inside the wooden box, the watch was not on the display pad as we usually see.

9. gbesq Aug 19, 2019

Interesting. I’ve never seen one shipped that way. Be that as it may, if there’s visible dust on the dial and a mark on the crystal, then the watch should never have been shipped in the first place.

watchfisher likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 19, 2019

This is not WUS, and therefore there are no "forum sponsors" or AD advertisements at the top of the forum pages.

I know you just copied the original post from the one you made on WUS, but you should probably be taking the time to edit the posts so they reflect the nature of this forum rather than the other forums you have posted this on. Or at least try to keep the forums straight in your own mind when making replies.

As an aside I find it annoying that when people have a problem (real or percived) they post the same thing on multiple platforms, and don't bother waiting for an answer on just one of them. You posted on WUS and then here almost immediately - are you that impatient for answers that you can't wait? This sort of cross posting used to be very frowned upon back in the day...

Now to your question - only you can decide if you feel this is acceptable or not. Omega has standards for visual inspection that are pretty standard in the industry. The watch is inspected with the naked eye under a lamp with a brightness of 2000 to 2500 LUX and a colour temperature of 5500 K. The distance between the eye and the watch is 30 cm, and if the "defect" can't be seen under these conditions, then the watch is passed.

If you inspect any mid-level brand like Rolex, Omega etc. with a loupe, you are bound to find something.

Depending on where you are located and the consumer laws, you may be able to exchange the watch, or it may be sent in to have the dust removed under warranty.

Cheers, Al

davy26, italy1861, ahsposo and 7 others like this.
  11. watchfisher Aug 19, 2019

Thank you for your input.

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 19, 2019

Your initial post indicates you are in contact with the dealer to get it repaired or replaced. So what is the issue? BTW, good luck not getting any marks on the crystal. Let them replace the one that is on there now with a new factory crystal, but please know it will get marked up as you wear it. And the dust can be removes as part of the crystal replacement. And if that makes you nervous, return it for a full refund and decided what you want to buy and from whom. maybe pay full price and buy directly from Omega?

davy26 likes this.
  13. watchfisher Aug 19, 2019

Thank you for your input.

Yes, I am in contact with the AD. We have yet to agree on a resolution, so that was a portion of my question.
    I apologize if my original post was a bit OCD, as I was looking for experiences with service as well. In your estimation, would a service be equal to a replacement, or would it largely be a matter of preference?

14. gbesq Aug 19, 2019

Agreed as to the crystal. Although I’m sure they have their reasons, I always wonder why Omega puts an AR coating (which is susceptible to scratches) on the outside of a sapphire crystal (which is not susceptible to scratches). I know that the inside of the crystal has an AR coating as well, but couldn't they just leave it at that? Maybe Al can shed some light on Omega’s rationale for coating both sides.

15. ChrisN Aug 19, 2019

I don't really buy new watches but, my Ultraman arrived as seen below. I think this is the standard watch packaging for Omega and much safer than putting it on the display pad for transit.
    710667-4c6b75d69623a0e5bb8d5c1ce77fe2c3.jpg

Cheers, Chris

watchfisher likes this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 19, 2019

Personal preference. For me, if I saved a bit of money buying through a reseller or AD, I would be inclined to let them replace the crystal and remove any dust. With some caveats, of course -- like they need to look at the movement and movement side of the case for any additional dust/ debris. Saving money over MSRP always comes with some additional 'risk', and if they are willing to make it right on their dime I would be inclined to let them do so if it would not be easy to buy a similar watch at a similar price.

watchfisher likes this.
  17. Martin_J_N Aug 19, 2019

If the watch is faulty in anyway simply return it to the AD, point out the flaws and ask the AD to rectify or if that is not possible request your money back. I am sure that the AD would rather sort the problem even if it means the watch has to have a trip to the local Omega service centre for a clean, as giving you your money back means a lost sale, lost profit, and more importantly the loss of the goodwill that existed between you and the dealer. This is what I would do if I was in receipt of an expensive watch and the watch wasn't to the standard that I would expect for the money that I paid.

watchfisher likes this.
  18. Meme-Dweller Aug 19, 2019

I'd wager that someone opened the case and removed the movement at one point. Omega factories are assembled in a dust-free environment and you might find one single piece of dust on a dial per several thousand watches, but certainly not that much.

watchfisher and BlackTalon like this.
  19. watchfisher Sep 3, 2019

(Update) - I thought it appropriate to post that the watch pictured above was returned to the AD, and a replacement was furnished. It appears the 'dust' could have been from the lume, but both the AD and contact at Omega agreed something wasn't right.

I've since received the replacement, which looks perfect with only tiny 'contact' marks on the bracelet and the end links where the pins are accessed. Also, (this is just a question), are the end links completely flush with the lugs, or are they set 'down' between the lugs ever so slightly? I've seen it both ways on various Speedys.

This watch in particular was something I'd been wanting for many years, I'll post pics soon. Thanks for everyone's input.

BlackTalon likes this.
  20. Evitzee Sep 4, 2019

The reason the AR coating is on the outside is if it was only on the inside it wouldn't block, or diminish, the reflected light hitting the crystal. There would be no reason to just put it on the inside as it would do very little good. Most of the anti-reflective properties are done at the surface exposed to open air. Although the surface that is coated is exposed and susceptible to wear and tear during wearing there really is no alternative way of doing it.

Anyway, good to see the OP got his watch replaced. Sometimes stuff happens which is not easily explained.

Edited Sep 4, 2019
    PhilF likes this.