Forums Latest Members
  1. bucksandreds Dec 29, 2019

I wound my new moonwatch about 40 turns yesterday and about 18 hours later it stopped working and needed rewound. Is this common early on? Thanks

2. BenBagbag Dec 29, 2019

Wind it until it won't wind anymore. You're not gonna break it. Then come back in two days with results.

SpeedyPhill and bucksandreds like this.
  3. bucksandreds Dec 29, 2019

Thank you.

4. time flies Dec 29, 2019

Twice that or there abouts would be more appropriate from zero. 40 or there abouts is day to day.

Have fun
    kfw 20190110_064634.jpg

bucksandreds likes this.
  5. Cenzo Dec 29, 2019

When I wind mine, each flick of the thumb and forefinger gives about one third of a turn of the crown. I like to wind mine back and forth even though going back doesn't wind it. It just seems smoother and easier to me. Wind with gentle torque until that torque won't advance crown forward.

Congratulations on your new Speedmaster! Enjoy .

bucksandreds likes this.
  6. Duckie Dec 29, 2019

Congratulations on your new Speedy.

Keep in mind it's not possible to get a full turn on the crown. Without taking special note, i would estimate it's generally about half a turn.
    The 40 turn thing is not universal and in the case of a Speedy it's a furfy.

As it's exclusively a manual wind watch, the only thing that's of relevance is that it will perform best when fully wound until it can't be wound any further once a day. Preferably at the same time every day.
    Morning when one wakes up works best as part of a ritual. At least that's the way it worked for my father, his father before him and me from when I had my first couple of watches when I was a kid. It's a well established manual wind watch kind of thing.

Edited Dec 29, 2019
  7. BradleyJ. Dec 29, 2019

I think this is the key part of the post. I never measured how long a speedy pro will last when fully wound. I just max it out each morning if I even wear it a few days in a row. I definitely get more than 24hrs however. Pretty sure I get 2 days plus based on when I go to put another watch away and see that it still has kept it's time despite not being worn for a day (1 day on the wrist + 1 day in the drawer) 18 hours doesn't sound right.