Forums Latest Members
  1. gee cee May 29, 2020

Hi Everyone - hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

I joined the forum to see forum content - specifically about Omega's - but with the intent of buying my first watch.

I don't own any watches and have never worn a watch but I think I really like the way Omega looks.

I have some apprehension about buying a watch online for some obvious reasons, I was wondering what safety mechanisms are present for someone facing apprehension with buying from an online seller?

2. gee cee May 29, 2020

oh , forgot to mention, I'm seriously in love with the seamaster black wavy dial ....

3. Martin_J_N May 29, 2020

Hi and welcome to the forum, I cannot comment on online purchases especially from an independent trader as I prefer to buy the watch I can try on my wrist in a dealers.

4. 140dave May 29, 2020

Welcome! You have found your biggest safety mechanism right here; education! Read, look at pictures, and read some more. Plus many members willing to help and answer questions, though many may be blunt the info is usually helpful.

Look at a 2254.50 for black wave dial, my personal fav.

5. wagudc May 29, 2020

Are you looking to buy new or second hand? If you buy new you would be safe with any authorized dealer. The sales forums here are pretty safe for used, you can send a private message to the seller if you are interested in a watch.

6. wagudc May 29, 2020

I did a search of the forums for you and I noticed @Kringkily has sold a number of 2254.50 watches recently. Perhaps you can see if he has more.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 29, 2020

8. gee cee May 29, 2020

Wow this is an amazing resource for older watches. but yes, I am concerned about buying online and experiencing fraud. Unfortunately, without seeing the watch in person, makes detecting replicates difficult - but I understand why this is a useful resource. thank you.

9. gee cee May 29, 2020

Me too but unfortunately because of the pandemic, retail stores haven't opened and I can't get in to see one in person; My hope is that my interest in one doesn't force me to make a hasty online purchase . but yes, I agree with you, buying my first watch would ideally be in person..

Martin_J_N likes this.
  10. gee cee May 29, 2020

Being my first watch, my preference would be new. Being in ontario, Canada, there's only a few authorized dealers from what I can see and would gladly visit if they were open.

11. Martin_J_N May 29, 2020

I am looking for a watch as well and as it's a brand I haven't tried on before seeing it on my wrist before purchase will be important but as shops are closed it will have to wait, it's not the end of the world having to wait, if anything it controls that urge to click 'buy' and flex the plastic.

12. duc May 29, 2020

As someone who has been here for about four years, and still gets awestruck on a regular basis, I can confirm you are definitely in the right place. I'll offer a left handed warning though, your interest in watches will only grow the longer you stay. From my perspective, that's a good thing. Welcome!