The best Modern-Vintage 2 Speedy Collection?

Posts
5,109
Likes
15,810
The 2998 'Soleil' and 2915 ... both grails ... but modern incarnations, in new condition (ok, my Trilogy is almost a decade old, but still) ... wouldn't you consider this the best bang-for-buck modern-vintage 2 Speedy collection?



I absolutely adore the modern flatlink of the FOIS. Omega did it right ... finally ... it has the same proportions as the vintage 1035/7912 with #6/#506 ... however, it is solidly built, with an adjustible clasp. I know a lot of folk are fully into the fantastic FB/US flatlink alternatives ... they just didn't quite get it right since the beginning ... I tried them, I didn't like them, I sold them ...

For those who didn't know : the 'new' FOIS bracelet fits the 2017 Trilogy



I would say perfectly. Can anyone tell a difference?

Here the rear of the endlink when fitted to the FOIS ...



Here the rear of the endlink when fitted to the Trilogy ...



And the top ...



I think these are the bees knees ... especially that FOIS ...



Cheers.

PS: pics don't do justice...
Edited:
 
Posts
1,895
Likes
3,637
Great pairing 👍
The bracelets are not my first choice because of the wider clasps, but i fully agree on the watches !
 
Posts
5,109
Likes
15,810
Great pairing 👍
The bracelets are not my first choice because of the wider clasps, but i fully agree on the watches !

The clasps are a bit wider, but the first pic the clasps are ‘up’ so a bit exaggerated.
 
Posts
6,437
Likes
31,614
For those who didn't know : the 'new' FOIS bracelet fits the 2017 Trilogy
How about the fit on the Seamaster Trilogy?
 
Posts
6,473
Likes
22,004
Nice details for anyone thinking of a new bracelet swap. Now I need a bracelet.. and a FOIS...and a Trilogy.
Edited:
 
Posts
6,437
Likes
31,614
Traded my Seamaster last year 🙁
Aha, too bad, would be nice to know for sure 1 bracelet fits both to rotate on my Trilogies.
 
Posts
2,378
Likes
11,243
How many holes? So this would fit an old 105.003 too, yes?
It's 19mm so if the 105003 is 19mm it should(?) fit.
 
Posts
1,895
Likes
3,637
How many holes? So this would fit an old 105.003 too, yes?
Not sure, both are 19mm wide but it depends where the holes in the lug are placed. Could be slightly shorter or longer lugs and therefor not a good fit.
 
Posts
1,604
Likes
2,718
Omega's modern flatlink might just be the best sports watch bracelet so far, and that's coming from someone who does deeply appreciate the modern Rolex Oyster bracelets. I also couldn't really get into the US/Forstner options as they just didn't have the right geometry or feel compared to the vintage options. The new flatlink is light, articulate, and elegant. It's a shame it isn't an option on the general production Speedmasters, or on more watches in general.
 
Posts
5,370
Likes
24,520
I can’t argue - it’s hard to beat for a two watch/no issues collection.
 
Posts
5,109
Likes
15,810
Omega's modern flatlink might just be the best sports watch bracelet so far, and that's coming from someone who does deeply appreciate the modern Rolex Oyster bracelets. I also couldn't really get into the US/Forstner options as they just didn't have the right geometry or feel compared to the vintage options. The new flatlink is light, articulate, and elegant. It's a shame it isn't an option on the general production Speedmasters, or on more watches in general.

Couldn’t agree more. Great call on this as an option on the general production Speedmasters. Maybe someone from Omega reads this.
 
Posts
5,109
Likes
15,810
I can’t argue - it’s hard to beat for a two watch/no issues collection.
The pedant in me has 2 minor gripes (maybe 3, but I suspect there were case variations of old, so I shall leave that one out, and pretend they didn't nick the old FOIS case) :

1) the hands. The FOIS hands, when looked at very closely, look like they are stamped from flat sheet metal. Sure, they are curved downward at the top, to follow the crystal profile towards the dial edge, however they are not faceted/bevelled ... and that feels cheap ... unlike the Trilogy hands, which are just perfect, reflect light beautifully and thus stand out/are more legible, and more importantly, do not feel cheap. Luckily on wrist, that is hardly noticeable ... but us pedants don't look at watches that way.

2) the sub-second markers. The FOIS seconds are divided into 3 on the dial ... for every second beat of the 6Hz movement (21600vph) - I guess splitting it 6 ways would be too busy or require too fine a printing ... and the Trilogy, although wrong, are correctly divided into 5 ... because the 321 that was in the 2915's beat at 5Hz (18000vph) ... who cares that the 5 divisions is wrong for the movement, that too fast for the old eyes ... but the dial just looks better with 5 divisions ...

Either way, I am not complaining ...
 
Posts
5,370
Likes
24,520
The pedant in me has 2 minor gripes (maybe 3, but I suspect there were case variations of old, so I shall leave that one out, and pretend they didn't nick the old FOIS case) :

1) the hands. The FOIS hands, when looked at very closely, look like they are stamped from flat sheet metal. Sure, they are curved downward at the top, to follow the crystal profile towards the dial edge, however they are not faceted/bevelled ... and that feels cheap ... unlike the Trilogy hands, which are just perfect, reflect light beautifully and thus stand out/are more legible, and more importantly, do not feel cheap. Luckily on wrist, that is hardly noticeable ... but us pedants don't look at watches that way.

2) the sub-second markers. The FOIS seconds are divided into 3 on the dial ... for every second beat of the 6Hz movement (21600vph) - I guess splitting it 6 ways would be too busy or require too fine a printing ... and the Trilogy, although wrong, are correctly divided into 5 ... because the 321 that was in the 2915's beat at 5Hz (18000vph) ... who cares that the 5 divisions is wrong for the movement, that too fast for the old eyes ... but the dial just looks better with 5 divisions ...

Either way, I am not complaining ...
I live for pedantry.

i genuinely appreciate the post
 
Posts
1,895
Likes
3,637
Should it no be 18000 = 2,5Hz and 21600 = 3 Hz because you have to devide it by 2 To make it 1 oscilation /Hz from a tick and a tack ?

It derailed with the 861/1861 like in the Trilogy, maybe the reason was to remain visualy consistent with earlier dials.
The 2 markers / 3 gaps on the FOIS are strange indeed but the beauty of that dial makes it easy to forgive 😍.


Looks good with batton hands as well.
 
Posts
1,895
Likes
3,637
Nice hotrod!
Thanks, i can almost match your 2 piece collection if hotrods ( hotmods ? ) count because i also have a ck2915-ish Speedmaster to go with that Blue Boy.