Introduction + sharing grandpas Omega

Posts
11
Likes
40
I thought it appropriate that my first post here should be sharing my oldest watch: Grandpas old Omega.



1940s Omega Automatic 351 Bumper
Ref. 2597-1
Probably 1948?



When I inherited the watch, the movement was siezed and I had it serviced. Bracelet was stretched but my wife got me this leather one. I don’t wear it often and it’s gaining about 52 seconds per day now, but it makes me think of Grandpa when I look at it. He likely inherited it from his father or picked it up during one of his many travels as a sailor as he would have been about 10 when this watch was made.



Plan to share the rest of my collection in the coming days, but thought this might make a good introduction.
 
Posts
70
Likes
125
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing. I have a Nivada Pocket Watch from my Grandfather and a Quartz Constellation from my dad (he is still alive, thanks God, but gave it to me a few years ago).

I hardly wear any of these but it is always special to have a heirloom watch and I am planning to hand those over to my sons one day (probably together with the rest of my watches. Probably...).
 
Posts
11
Likes
40
I hardly wear any of these but it is always special to have a heirloom watch and I am planning to hand those over to my sons one day (probably together with the rest of my watches. Probably...).

Same here. I’m addition to this one, I have some great grandparents pocket watches, a Tag my grandmother gave me for graduation, and my old man’s quartz Seiko. With them gone, I like to keep the watches as a daily reminder even if I don’t wear them often.

Then I have a Speedy my wife gave me on our wedding day which gets worn several times per week. She just gifted me a larger watch box for our 10 year anniversary and I’m in the midst of collecting vintage Seiko’s now.

My son got my old watch box and some of my old Seiko’s and has already called dibbs on the Speedmaster.
 
Posts
53
Likes
90
Nice. If you were interested in it keeping better time it appears a watch repair shop worth its salt could regulate it a bit
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,108
Absolutely get it a movement only service. Don’t run it until you do. The oils are shot etc.
 
Posts
11
Likes
40
Nice. If you were interested in it keeping better time it appears a watch repair shop worth its salt could regulate it a bit
I’ve got a really good watch repair guy who could do it. However, I’ve worn it maybe 6 times since the last time I had it serviced. I may just hold onto it and retire from actual wear.
 
Posts
70
Likes
125
Same here. I’m addition to this one, I have some great grandparents pocket watches, a Tag my grandmother gave me for graduation, and my old man’s quartz Seiko. With them gone, I like to keep the watches as a daily reminder even if I don’t wear them often.

Then I have a Speedy my wife gave me on our wedding day which gets worn several times per week. She just gifted me a larger watch box for our 10 year anniversary and I’m in the midst of collecting vintage Seiko’s now.

My son got my old watch box and some of my old Seiko’s and has already called dibbs on the Speedmaster.
😊

I love to hear that your son looks out for the Speedy. My wedding watch was a vintage Mark II. However, my sons do not yet share the same fascination for watches as I do, maybe they are still too young.