Forums Latest Members
  1. Andrew P Apr 2, 2022

Im very happy to be an omega owner again after a 10yr absence. I had a SM quartz that i absolutely loved from 2004-2012. Now, i have the new SM ceramic sedna gold. Its absolutely stunning. Whats even more stunning is the story after receiving it in the mail (purchased thru omega online).

I took it out of the case, standing in my girlfriend’s kitchen, and while attempting to put it on, I dropped it face down dead center into an empty metal dog bowl. Probably about 4’ high from the metal bowl. Mind you at this point ive owned this watch for maybe 45 seconds. It still had the film on the crystal. Ive been monitoring the time and it seems fine. I almost puked i was so upset with myself. My gf asked if it was damaged and i was so mortified i blindly put it back in the case very quietly (i didnt want to know) and took it back out a few hours later. No scratches, scuffs, or anything. If i shake it side to side next to my ear it seems to sounds similar to my breitling avenger bandit which hasnt taken any hits.

i found myself trying to do stupid equations to see how much force it actually took on impact. I realized i was just being insane, so ive come back to earth hoping all will be well. Before joining the forum I read a lot about dropping etc etc. Still, i felt compelled to introduce myself with my horrible yet comically tragic story. It wasnt even wound up. Hopefully just a kickstart to a new chapter. Either way, I am happy to be here. Pics dont do justice to the beauty of this timepiece. Thanks for letting me share

45B22978-01B0-4E8D-8733-68D7A391CEE0.jpeg
    ChronoB, crd, JGreenman and 6 others like this.
  2. Evitzee Apr 2, 2022

That's a hell of an introduction! But welcome. If it continues to run ok, and keeps good time, then you have dodged a bullet. Chalk it up to experience, but learn the lesson: Never put on, or take off, a watch where it can drop more than a foot or so to a soft surface. Inevitably a watch will slip out of your hands and gravity takes over. Your episode took less than a minute, a new record I would say.

Andrew P likes this.
  3. Leviathan Apr 2, 2022

Congrats on the purchase, and I wouldn’t worry about the drop—it happened and there’s nothing you can do about it now.

Monitor it. If it’s operating abnormally, take it in.

Hope it’s still running well!

Andrew P likes this.
  4. chrisb732 Apr 2, 2022

@Andrew P Take a deep breath, we are here for you! I would have had a heart attack! It's a great looking watch enjoy the hell out of it. If you have this one for a long time it will end up being a funny story if you end up talking about the watch.

Andrew P likes this.
  5. Jayrock26v2 Apr 3, 2022

Congrats! As long as you’re not noticing much of an issue you should be okay. What luck though :eek:

6. rob#1 Apr 3, 2022

Great first post, welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Your story is way more entertaining than the posts where people scratch a lug and think the world is going to end :rolleyes:

7. hen Apr 3, 2022

Congrats beautiful watch!

But I think the watches are called " SMP" I do belive "SM" is something else and spelled with an "&" in the middle, or did you like to see the watch falling you naughty boy?

8. Andrew P Apr 5, 2022

Update: my auto winder rotates about 5x more than the recommended 720 tpd (2min on 6min off bi directional) So ive been leaving it in the winder less. As a result, its gaining time vs losing which im honestly perfectly ok with. When its resting face up, its gaining several seconds a day (3ish). Crown up, its losing about 0.3. Chalking the stupid drop in the loss column. As another member said, cant do anything about it now. Im enjoying it. I cant decide if i love the simplicity of the tang clasp, or if i wish it had a deployment clasp like most. Either way, what everyone says is true: tons of variables contribute to how it keeps track of time. Definitely annoyed i dont have a real world baseline to compare its own performance, but its gorgeous and masculine and unique. Not sure if this particular model will sell a lot given the price point. I like having unique pieces. It has a nice weight without being too heavy (108g). Knowing my luck it may very well hold up until a very minor bump, like closing my car door. Hopefully itll be a funny story down the line. Dont even wana think of what the repair cost or lead time would be. So for now im just glad to finally have it. Massive upgrades by omega over the years. The ultra deep is super cool too.