Forums Latest Members
  1. albertopveiga Nov 9, 2023

Hi Everybody,

I'm really glad that I found this forum! I just wanted to give you a short introduction about myself:

I always have liked watches in general but, honestly, I didn't really get interested until my workplace banned smartwatches from the workplace, so I couldn't wear my AppleWatch anymore (please don't roast me for this...:)). I had a few Quartz watches somewhere (a couple of Lotus, one Festina, a Seiko...) all with dead batteries; so I thought: "Maybe I could try and find a cheap automatic watch to wear at work and forget about batteries". After some research (again, don't roast me for that...:)) I bought an Invicta ProDiver with an NH35 movement. A kind of Submariner knock-off that blew me out of my shoes when I received it. I was fascinated by the movement and the looks of it. (I know... I know...)

After that, I bought a series of watches that I liked, (Tissot Gentleman and PRX, Seiko 5, and others). I liked all of those, but I was blown away when I inherited an old Cauny Prima from my grandfather. Nothing fancy, but I loved the amount of personality of that piece. I had it re-plated, as the gold plating was very damaged, and it's gorgeous... this sparked my interest for vintage watches but I'm still scared to pull the trigger due to my lack of knowledge.

Just to finalise the post, I will be attending this weekend https://rikketik.nl/?lang=en and I may look around for some Omega Geneve or Constellation, although, to be honest I don't feel still very confident... so any advice is welcome!

Sorry for the long introduction, and I hope to learn a lot from all of you!!

Thank you!

2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Nov 9, 2023

Nice to hear from you and, as a newbie, the golden rule is that you post a watch details before you buy it/bid for it, rather than after ;)

Bruce235 likes this.
  3. albertopveiga Nov 9, 2023

Thank you Spruce! I will definitely do that!!

4. filfb22 Nov 9, 2023

Welcome on board!
    I always appreciate when somebody presents its passion instead of throwing images of a watch asking if it's true or how much is it worth.

My biggest advice is try to know what you are trying to buy before-hand. Make your own research and do not be afraid of asking for help when you have a doubt. Do not go into a frenetic loop looking at several hundred watches. Also, fairs are a great place to see a lot of watches together and maybe learn something but prices tend to be slightly higher.

Hope you can find your dream Omega! :)

befobe likes this.
  5. wagudc Nov 9, 2023

Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a good start with your collecting. The watch and clock fair you will be going to looks super fun.

6. Aroxx Sets his watch Nov 9, 2023

Welcome and very nice introduction. I have to ask the rational behind your work banning smart watches? I’ve never heard of that before.

filfb22 and OneTwo like this.
  7. OneTwo Nov 9, 2023

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for the intro. Please do clarify the smart watch ban rationale, very intrigued to hear the why as I’ve also never heard of a business putting such rules place.

filfb22 likes this.
  8. Bruce235 Nov 9, 2023

Welcome aboard. Nice to hear that your taste is evolving in the right direction :).
    Look at lots and lots of watches. There are many out there and you will eventually come to understand what appeals to you.

9. albertopveiga Nov 9, 2023

Thanks all for the welcome. Well, to satisfy your curiosity, it’s for security reasons. Not only smart watches are banned on premises, but also personal phones, personal laptops or anything that is susceptible to have a Mic, bluetooth, internet connection etc… These restrictions are usual in certain companies or organizations that are extremely concerned about Information Security.

OneTwo and wagudc like this.
  10. iChristos Nov 27, 2023

Hello Alberto,
    Welcome in the family.
    Did you find a hidden gem at rikketik last week?
    Best regards,
    Christos

11. albertopveiga Dec 1, 2023

Hi! I have to say that it was a really fun experience. Lots of watches to see, and all the sellers really attentive. It was a great opportunity to have some of those nice watches in my hand. For the rest, I would say that prices were a bit high in general, so I didn't find my dream watch at the right price :). I wouldn't say there were no hidden gems, just that I'm still probably clueless enough to not identify them!

iChristos and befobe like this.
  12. befobe Dec 1, 2023

Fully agree with that. But after such an introduction, we DO expect some pics...:D

By the way, welcome @albertopveiga !

filfb22 likes this.