New Member Help w/ Crystal Replacement

I have a 1950s Omega cal 283 with case number 2504-9. I would just like this beautiful dial to see the light of day. I dont believe the crystal pictured is original, just hoping to find the best option for this case

31.47mm wide
4.23mm tall

Thank you in advance! 1000001792.jpg 1000001791.jpg 1000001794.jpg 1000001793.jpg
Edited:

Original part is PN1055. There's no tension ring. You should find a equivalent such as a
ST Sternkreuz 31.5x29.9 or a little larger
check the dial opening to see id 29,9 fits.

Original part is PN1055. There's no tension ring. You should find a equivalent such as a
ST Sternkreuz 31.5x29.9 or a little larger
check the dial opening to see id 29,9 fits.

Thank you for the assistance. I will start there

the size you gave is the size of the crystal or opening of the case?

You will need a crystal compressor unless you plan to match the size and set with G-S cement.

You will need a crystal compressor unless you plan to match the size and set with G-S cement.
I have a bergeon press so i will be going that route

I these “claw” tools have gotten very inexpensive lately! I would still be wary of a “cheap” one with a vintage crystal but it sounds like you have the right tools on hand.

The edges of the crystal need to be compressed slightly to get it into the rehaut.

I these “claw” tools have gotten very inexpensive lately! I would still be wary of a “cheap” one with a vintage crystal but it sounds like you have the right tools on hand.

The edges of the crystal need to be compressed slightly to get it into the rehaut.

I found a great deal on a vintage bergeon press and dies. I wanted the robur style but this one will be more than capable

I think you will have bad luck trying to press the crystal in with that. (but it is useful for many tasks)

You need to reduce the OD of the crystal, so it drops in and then release the claw. After the claw is off, you ensure it is fully seated, but only pressing down, without "starting" the crystal, you are likely to crack it.

These is a set-up plate the crystal goes into so that the claw grabs slightly above the bottom most edge of the crystal. That goes into the rehaut and then the tool is removed, and finally the crystal is pressed home.

Old Seamaster 300 is this way and I'm fairly certain all Omegas are this way (with plastic crystals). Speedmaster and others also have an internal tension ring where you will absolutely destroy the crystal if you try to simply press it straight in.

I have a bergeon press so i will be going that route

Please have a look at this thread:

Basic watchmaking tips - crystal fitting | Omega Forums

A press is not the correct tool for this style of crystal - as has been noted it needs to have the outside diameter compressed - a couple of tools for that are shown in the thread above. So this is absolutely correct:

ou need to reduce the OD of the crystal, so it drops in and then release the claw. After the claw is off, you ensure it is fully seated, but only pressing down, without "starting" the crystal, you are likely to crack it.

These is a set-up plate the crystal goes into so that the claw grabs slightly above the bottom most edge of the crystal. That goes into the rehaut and then the tool is removed, and finally the crystal is pressed home.

However this needs some clarification:

Old Seamaster 300 is this way and I'm fairly certain all Omegas are this way (with plastic crystals). Speedmaster and others also have an internal tension ring where you will absolutely destroy the crystal if you try to simply press it straight in.

Tension ring crystals do not get installed or removed by compressing the outside diameter of the crystal. They do in fact get pressed straight into the case using a press. Unless you are terribly misaligned the crystal to start with, or have the wrong size, it shouldn't destroy the crystal at all.

Please have a look at this thread:

Basic watchmaking tips - crystal fitting | Omega Forums

A press is not the correct tool for this style of crystal - as has been noted it needs to have the outside diameter compressed - a couple of tools for that are shown in the thread above. So this is absolutely correct:

However this needs some clarification:

Tension ring crystals do not get installed or removed by compressing the outside diameter of the crystal. They do in fact get pressed straight into the case using a press. Unless you are terribly misaligned the crystal to start with, or have the wrong size, it shouldn't destroy the crystal at all.

Thank you for the write up and taking the time Archer. Having the bergeon 5500e lower dies and the correct upper die would be enough to compress the outside edges enough to fit the crystal.

Im just getting started into hobby watchmaking and really appreciate the help in the journey

Thank you for the write up and taking the time Archer. Having the bergeon 5500e lower dies and the correct upper die would be enough to compress the outside edges enough to fit the crystal.

Im just getting started into hobby watchmaking and really appreciate the help in the journey

Ah yes - those are the same style that are used on top of the crystal cabinet I have. That will work - not the dies originally shown in your first photo.

Ah yes - those are the same style that are used on top of the crystal cabinet I have. That will work - not the dies originally shown in your first photo.
Excellent. Thank you again for the help!