Forums Latest Members

New member and first time owner of a mechanical Omega FOIS. Need help on bracelet option.

1. wakali May 27, 2021

Thank you so much for allowing me to be a member in this forum. In coming is a new FOIS. Very excited! I really like the flat bracelet option that I have been seeing in pictures (US and Forstner). I would also like the option of putting an Omega clasp. Can someone here please guide me on what/where to buy or what combo works. I am fine with either one just as long as the Omega clasp works with it. Thank you in advanced.

2. SkunkPrince May 27, 2021

Assuming Uncle Seiko has the end links you need, his bracelet is compatible with the appropriate Omega clasp cover:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264852869324Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The clasp cover is held on using special spring bars, so it is easy to change.

The Forstner uses an incompatible clasp type, so you can't change just the clasp cover; you have to change the entire clasp. It can be done, as I have done it, but that takes somewhat more experience, or your watchmaker can do it for you.

The Forstner is arguably the somewhat better bracelet, but it is more difficult to adjust the size, you have to change the entire clasp, and it's more expensive. The Uncle Seiko is easier to adjust, you only need to buy the clasp cover, and it costs less.

Either is a good choice, it just comes down to what you want to do. Forstner's 19mm ends are specifically designed for the FOIS, which is not necessarily the same size as other 19mm-lugged Speedmasters, so there's that.

This clasp should fit the Forstner, as I stole mine from an 1171 bracelet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294187534801Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Good luck!

marco, nicolamilton and myatt like this.
  3. wakali May 28, 2021

4. wakali May 28, 2021

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It is most helpful.

5. zoohannover May 28, 2021

6. wakali May 28, 2021

7. SlCKB0Y Jun 3, 2021

Having owned both the US1711, US flatline and the Forstner flat link, I can say the US one is far superior. The Forstner, whilst having solid endlinks, have this terrible profile which very poorly matches the lines of the case. The Uncle Seiko endlinks are very similar to the OEM links but they are actually a much tighter and better fit, So much so that some people have been buying the Uncle Seiko endlinks to use with their OEM 1711s.

See below for my clasp recommendations.

This IS a 1711 clasp but it is not what I would recommend. It is one of the few that is smaller than all the other variants with an inside width of only 15mm and I made the mistake of buying this.

This is the clasp available on eBay that is most suitable even though it is not a 1711 clasp
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/224445671851Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    WPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkith this, he will be able to completely replace the clasp on either the uncle Seiko or the Forster, or he also can just take the clasp cover to use on the US1711. This clasp cover is also a far better match for the 1711 that the fake Canadian clasp cover with the mix of brushed and high polish finishes you linked to.

The fake Canadian clasp is recommended for the US flat link as is very close to the OEM and also matches the mixture of brushed and polish finishes on that bracelet. See my pictures above.

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  8. nicolamilton Jun 3, 2021

I have US 1171, US flat link and Forstner flat link.
    I would recommend you Forstner, specially because of the shape of its endlink. US endlinks are straight at the bottom, and as result, makes the case look more "square". On the other hand, Forstner, in addition of its solidness, is also shaped like an "H", and fits more naturally with the case, in my opinion.
    I'm looking forward to ordering new 1450 Forstner bracelet too (soon available).

IMG_20210516_202357880.jpg IMG_20210516_202857033.jpg
    scapa and hansmaulwurf like this.
  9. DoctorEvil Jun 3, 2021

+1 on the Forstner flat link.
    Looks great and very comfortable because it has a few elasticated links in it.
    PXL_20210603_231150106.jpg

nicolamilton likes this.
  10. SlCKB0Y Jun 3, 2021

Each to their own I guess but those end links look and fit terribly. I cannot believe they specifically designed them for the Speedy. I think they went through a ton of existing end links until they found something that fit “good enough”.

There are huge gleaming gaps between the end links and the case - they aren’t even the same height as the case and they turn down way too aggressively.

The clasp was terrible as well. Most friction fit clasps taper inwards and are relatively short. These are the same width the whole length of the clasp and are very long. If the bracelet shifts a bit, you get the end of the clasp poking out from under the bracelet. Ugly.

As mentioned I’ve had both Forstner and Uncle Seiko. The US ones are better, closer in design to the OEM bracelet, fit better, are more comfortable and are cheaper. Oh and if memory serves, the Forstner made the crazy design decision that requires you to awkwardly use two screw drivers at the same time to remove links. ‍

Edited Jun 3, 2021
  11. DoctorEvil Jun 4, 2021

Geez. Your standards are obviously way higher than mine. And your eyesight must be damn good to be able to see those "huge gleaming gaps". But, we can agree to disagree and let the OP make his/her own choice. Live and let live.

By the way, my Forstner flat link must be one of the newer ones as it only has one screw running the whole width of the link. It's definitely a lot less fiddly than having to mess with two screws.

nicolamilton likes this.
  12. wakali Jun 4, 2021

Thank you so much for all the info! I did buy that clasp and it will not fit. LOL
    I'll follow your ebay link. Thanks again.

13. wakali Jun 4, 2021

Thank you! I already have the Forstner. It is lovely.

nicolamilton likes this.
  14. wakali Jun 4, 2021

I have not installed it because I am waiting on the correct clasp to put on. It looks lovely. I will follow SICKBOY's recommendation.

15. DoctorEvil Jun 4, 2021

No worries. All the best with that and don't forget to post pics when you're done.