Forums Latest Members

First omega(SM 300) + A few questions on bracelet options for small wrists

1. theflywrist May 6, 2017

Hey guys.
    I hope everyone is having a wonderful start to their weekend.
    I have been a lurker here for some time, but finally created my account today.
    I am going to receive my very first Omega in a week's time, and I am absolutely ecstatic.

I have been in love with the SM300 ever since I tried my good friend's on some time ago, but it has been difficult to find a decent example.
    Fast forward a few days ago, I was lucky enough to have stumbled across this exceptional example from some great guys.
    I just have a few questions regarding my bracelet options.
    Given that I have very small wrists (6"), I was advised against resizing the 1039 that the watch comes with. Primarily because removing so many links can end up damaging the bracelet, and further diminishing it's value.
    I am a believer of simply wearing and enjoying my watches, so I would like some insight on what the experts think. Should it be an issue?
    I understand that an alternative, and arguably better option is the 1171 with 633 ends? How would this wear on a smaller wrist like mine.

I am open to suggestions or any other alternative options, or weather I should stick to the 1039.
    This is my first venture into Omega, and I am a sucker for divers, so this is extremely exciting for me.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Omega_Seamaster_300_Box_Extract_AS01990_2.jpg Omega_Seamaster_300_Box_Extract_AS01990_A.jpg Omega_Seamaster_300_Box_Extract_AS01990_F.jpg
    jimmyd13, gemini4, SpeedTar and 15 others like this.
  2. LaurentBxl May 6, 2017

Hi,

I just bought a vintage 1171 (the one with screws and narrow clasp) for my Watchco. My wrist is 18mm, and the bracelet is 14mm after removing all the links and adjusting the clasp to a minimum length. Any shorter would require removing permanent links. It is just ok for me, but you would have to remove at least 2 more links, and I have yet to see how to do that without damaging the links. Also the bracelet goes from 20mm at the lugs to 15 at the clasp in a very elegant way. so you need to avoid removing too many links.

If I was you I would buy a modern 1171 that is a lot cheaper and do what ever needs to be done to size it properly. That way you do not damage a nice and expensive one and it will fit the watch nicely with the 633 end links.

Cheers,

Laurent

watch3s and theflywrist like this.
  3. bags1971 May 6, 2017

stunning watch congrats :)

theflywrist likes this.
  4. watchlovr May 6, 2017

There is no problem removing links from your bracelet.
    If you want to wear it on the original bracelet, go ahead. Guide here http://www.old-omegas.com/bracadd.html
    Plenty of alternatives also.

gemini4, Baz9614 and theflywrist like this.
  5. theflywrist May 6, 2017

Thank you guys so much for the responses.
    I am not one to "preserve" a watch or its bracelet if I am honest. I will wear the watch on its strap for a while, but will definitely look at others who have successfully resized thier original 1039s without damaging it, and have a competent watch maker do that for me.
    I am happy as long as I know the links can be put back on with no issues later.
    Causing stretch or wear on the bracelet is inevitable and does not bother me. Thanks for the link! Extremely helpful, and thank you all for the prompt responses. :)

SpeedTar likes this.
  6. uwsearch May 6, 2017

Find yourself a 1175 that very much looks like a 1039 but cost a lot less and is more durable. Feeling on wrist is better too, and wear that beauty without worrying too much... Btw nobody told you to switch the bezel to a recent one to save that rare 3rd generation one in perfect condition?

I've got her twin sister:
    Capture.JPG

theflywrist likes this.
  7. bags1971 May 6, 2017

Another cracking SM300 one day ill find one in that condition :)

theflywrist likes this.
  8. brunik May 6, 2017

Nice one... i agree with 1175, it's a good choice

theflywrist likes this.
  9. theflywrist May 7, 2017

Thank you guys for the responses! Truly thrilled, and cannot wait to receive the watch.
    I guess I will start by posting reading a little more and trying to see these bracelets in the flesh through friends, and then following up with a "WTB" thread on the one that I like the best. Don't hesitate to reach out via PM if you have something decent that may be up for grabs! :)
    Have a nice day all, and thank you once again.

10. noiseboyuk May 7, 2017

Super SM300 - congratulations.
    I suggest you get your watchmaker to remove the necessary links - and away you go.
    Enjoy wearing the watch without worrying too much about marking it up - it's already survived a few decades and, after all, it is a 'tool' watch.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  11. WatchVaultNYC May 7, 2017

Use a very thick strap. It will help with the lugs jutting out the side of your wrist. I use this technique on Zeniths

watch3s likes this.
  12. harrymai86 May 7, 2017

well that is a stunning piece, i would definitely resize the 1039 for it.

13. Baz9614 May 7, 2017

Removing links in a 1039 is quite a simple procedure, and easy to do yourself! With that said, keep any that you remove in a safe place as each link sells for about $100 on the bay. The link provided above should show the steps clearly. Good Luck!

14. propervinyl May 12, 2017

This is a really beautiful find! Would you mind if I ask about the details?

15. theflywrist May 13, 2017

Out of curiosity, would a 1175 be compatible with 516 ends?

16. theflywrist May 13, 2017

Not at all! Happy to help with what I know. I am relatively new to Omegas, but quickly learning a lot :)

17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass May 13, 2017

Welcome aboard! Now get an avatar:) Fun to see IG people join OF.

18. propervinyl May 13, 2017

So, I was super tired last night, which is why my post made zero sense.... just wondering if there is a story you could share about how you got it.

In all seriousness, this is a beautiful SM300.

theflywrist likes this.
  19. theflywrist May 13, 2017

Thank you very much man haha! The avatar is coming. Just waiting for the watch to get here first ;)

20. theflywrist May 13, 2017

Haha thats no problem.
    It was a strike of luck really. I noticed the watch posted online by some really great dealers who are some of the nicest guys/collectors I know.
    Watch was sold by the time I asked about it(maybe 10 minutes after it was posted), but the supposed buyer instead purchased another watch from them.
    I, along with a bunch of others who had inquired were notified, and I didnt take long to decide, so..
    Will post some pictures in the flesh in the next day or two. Really so excited to have her come home! :)

CajunTiger likes this.